v1615 vs XDA Steller vs Orange Tytn2

Guest crazyc

Hi All,

In a month or two I am likley to have to choose between the above devices - I suspect that Orange's data deals will be poor enough to rule them out leaving the V1615 and XDA stellar as the competing models.

What I would like is any specific advantages/disdvantages to either. eg:

I believe the Stellar and HTC Tytn2 are the only ones that come with the special headset music remote?

I also read a review that called the Stellar's reception weak - is this all of them or just an O2 radio issue?

Anything else would be great to know, and any experience regarding the v1615 and Stellar would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by crazyc

Guest Transform

From what I've heared, the Stellar comes with the remote, not sure about with the Orange network.

I noticed you missed out the Vario 3 from T-Mobile. Regarding data deals, T-Mobile offers a great 'Web n Walk' service that you should check out. I'm not sure what services other networks offer...

Guest Neil5459

The O2 Stellar is the only one that includes the headset remote as standard, though it is only about £20 to buy. Only works with WMP and HTC Audio though.

From what I've heared, the Stellar comes with the remote, not sure about with the Orange network.

I noticed you missed out the Vario 3 from T-Mobile. Regarding data deals, T-Mobile offers a great 'Web n Walk' service that you should check out. I'm not sure what services other networks offer...

There is a Tmobile black hole that covers my house and a few either side - can even be seen on their coverage map! So the vario 3 is out. unfortunately. I tested it with a PAYG sim card a while back.

Basically both Vodafone and O2 will give me the phone free, with insurance and a data bundle for the same price I pay now. I get more text and minutes with O2, and the headset. With Vodafone I get less minutes and texts, no headset, but probably better network coverage and HSDPA as far as I can see (any comments re this bit?)

Both text and minute bundles are likely to exceed my needs each month, so the extra available from O2 is nice but not such a big deal.

Do unused minutes roll over with either/both of these?

The data bundle with O2 is 200mb vs 120 with Vodafone - again both should be sufficient.

Am heading towards O2 but have no experience of them myself, or the insurance or support of PPC phones. The feeling I get from what I have seen/read is that the Vodafone high speed network is a bit ahead of O2s.

Edited by crazyc

The O2 Stellar is the only one that includes the headset remote as standard, though it is only about £20 to buy. Only works with WMP and HTC Audio though.

I only really use HTC audio manager to listen to music, so not a problem.

Guest Transform

I only switched over to T-Mobile about a month back and before then was on o2 for about 2 years and I can say that they provide a great service, well for me anyway...

Guest hotphil

I'm with Vodafone and definitely get HSDPA if that helps. I'm not sure which contract etc I'm on though as work bought it for me and I never got to see the deal.

Thnaks all.

I am still leaning towards the XDA Stellar and associated deal. But, I do still have some concerns re their data coverage. Vodafone's does look better, and faster. I am sure I read that they are upping HSDPA speeds again.

Looking at the coverage map I should be OK for 3G under normal conditions with O2, and will only hit problems when travelling round the country. Even then their 2g network is good AFAIK so should not have call problems.

Guest Electronic Punk

Apparently O2 doesn't have HTC home, but these things are easily fixed.

Got the v1615 here and am very happy with it, happily tweaking away, managed to get it pretty much working as I want with the default Vodafone ROM:

Tytnii.png

Guest Transform

thanks alot! is that the same size as my screen or will i need to resize it?

also, how do i set it as the background on the phone?

Edited by Transform

Guest chrisash32

Hi guys!

I guess some of you have been referring to my other thread about the XDA Stellar.

I should be able to clear a few things up for you....

Firstly, O2's network does not yet support HSDPA, but the guys on CSD say they are in the process to start implementing at some point next year.

the box... everyone forgets the box... XDA's always come in nice boxes lol and this one is no exception with magnetic close and in a fancy style black colour and foam insets inside. Makes a very nice bits box once the phone is out lol!

Like i mentioned in a previous thread, my XDA came with the HTC remote and also as i mentioned before, the phone seemed a little dull at first compared to the Vario III but a couple of downloads later and the HTC Home made all the difference.

Just for the record, my tariff is as follows:

600min, 1000txt, Unlimited Data (200mb), Unlimited anytime any network calls long weekend. £27pm

Free Phone, Insurance £7.50pm

I had long discussions with customer services about the data plan, as i wanted to know what limits there were.

I have been told there is a fair usage warning text that goes out if they feel the service is being abused or you go over the 200mb. But i am told they will not stop your service if you do, and at the moment do not charge any more. But if it is constantly abused they can take the service off you.

I am also told that they don't currently block any services or stop you using your phone as a modem, although the terms and conditions say otherwise. I can only guess this is to cover their own back if they decide to change things int he future.

If anyone has any questions on the phone / o2 / my experiences, please ask! Using a Vario III and a Stellar i should be able to help with some things.

Overall, i am very happy with the phone and have also been very happy with my service form O2 for the past 5 years!

Thanks

Chris

Guest Electronic Punk

Well bizarrely I got stop the clock 150 or something like that which is £25pm I also have some £3 extras pack and the £7.50 data pack.

I got the phone for .... £0 !

Tranform: Same place as you set the theme or I guess you can browse to the image and set it as your wallpaper? I think both ways will work. Oh and no need to edit - thats the same image and works great with the keyboard in or out!

Edited by Electronic Punk

the box... everyone forgets the box... XDA's always come in nice boxes lol and this one is no exception with magnetic close and in a fancy style black colour and foam insets inside. Makes a very nice bits box once the phone is out lol!

My V1615 came in the same box! TBH I think it's standard HTC issue with the Kaiser in all its forms.

Given that these are all the same phone, I guess it all just comes down to (1) which network you prefer, (2) which paint job floats your boat, and (3) the best deal you can get. Personally, I'm glad I got the V1615 because Voda are generally good to me, I got it on a good upgrade deal, and I like that it's basically the same as the Tytn II (same fascia and colouring, but with a high gloss back). OTOH that remote looks nice, and will cost me an extra £20 that customers of the STELLLAAA!! won't have to pay. Also, the Marlon Brando-inspired monicker is a lot catchier and easier to say than "V1615".

Edited by Boinng

Just for the record, my tariff is as follows:

600min, 1000txt, Unlimited Data (200mb), Unlimited anytime any network calls long weekend. £27pm

Free Phone, Insurance £7.50pm

Sweet - much better than the guy in the shop was offering me! Is this a special loyalty package or anything, or should it be achievable as a new customer?

Re HSDPA - well, orange have been rolling it out this year and I have been getting the H, but data speeds do nto seem to be improved - so no major loss there then.

Do you find their overall coverage good?

Is it Vodafone that have that annoying thing where the Voicemail calls you until you pick it up, or am I remembering that from elsewhere?

Guest Electronic Punk

Maybe, but it has been quite some time since I had an official Vodafone.

More recently I have been getting a text when I recieved a voicemail.

Would be great if I got a semi-official notification but I really haven't played with it.

With Vodafone you have two choices - it either rings you constantly to pass on the message (very annoying, and generally on by default with new contracts I think) or you can just go through the voicemail menu to select alert by text instead. Much more civillised.

Guest hotphil

I turned off both the constant ringing and SMS on voicemail. It really is the most annoying thing ever. Do they not get it? - There's a *reason* I press End Call when I see who is ringing and send them to VM :(

I also find the Missed Call and Voicemail icons on the screen are sufficient to remind me that I have a VM.

Guest Electronic Punk

The voicemail icon works?

Having come from a totally unsupported Mteor would be good to see such a feature restored (I remember my first phone could do it for example)

That's interesting, I thought the Vodafone network itself didn't support that kind of Voicemail notification - missed calls yes, that's just a feature of the phone, but "knowing" that there's Voicemail waiting without a text message or call? I've only ever seen that work on T Mobile and Orange handsets.

Show's how often I get voicemail!