Keep losing all data when Battery is removed or dead

Guest kitten2979

Guest kitten2979

Someone please help me to fix this problem. Anytime I remove my battery on my MPX300 I lose all of my data. It is like I am doing a hard reset, just from taking the battery off. How do I fix this proble? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Jen :( :D

Guest awarner (MVP)

Are you shutting down the phone correctly before removing the battery?

The internal battery is probably worn out by now but the data loss is not normal.

When you say lose all your data is that applications you have installed and not just the date and time being reset?

Guest kitten2979
Are you shutting down the phone correctly before removing the battery?

The internal battery is probably worn out by now but the data loss is not normal.

When you say lose all your data is that applications you have installed and not just the date and time being reset?

I assume I am shutting it down correctly. I Hold the off "end call" button down, and it turns off. Then if I take the battery off, when I put it back, and turn it back on, everything I put on the phone is gone. Contact, calender stuff, wallpapers, etc "everything" is gone. It is set back to "like new" condition. HELP please!!! It won't charge with the sync cable I have for some reason, and I have to take the battery off and use a universal charger to charge it, so this is going to be a big problem!

Guest Neil5459

The MPX 300 is a Pocket PC 2003 device, which uses volatile RAM. All data is lost if the battery goes flat, or is removed, so it relies on a backup battery to retain info until you can charge the main battery.

Your problem is that the backup battery is dead, so you need to either get it replaced, or simply replace the whole device with something more modern. WM5 and WM6 use a combination of RAM and ROM which prevents data loss if the battery goes flat, or is removed.

Guest Neil5459
Sexy? http://www.mobilegazette.com/motorola-mpx.htm - maybe in 2004 but haven't things moved on since then? Or is there a new mpx300 which is a PPC? Judging by the way this omne is losing data it does sound like the old WM2003 smartphone not a PPC

Not quite :(- the MPX300 was unique at the time for incorporating a full WM2003 Stylus/Touch screen interface into a Smartphone form factor. It had a double hinge allowing access to either the smartphone keyboard, or a full touchscreen with QWERTY keyboard. A couple of my colleagues on 4WM had them at the time, but there were reliability problems and little OS development.

All devices prior to WM5 had the problem of no battery/no data as there was no persisent memory.

Guest Confucious

I remember now! It was going to be a killer device but never made it mainstream. Interesting to hear someone is still using one.

Can the backup batteries be replaced? My daughter's C550 and my Partner's C600 both lose the date and time when the battery is removed - not as bad as losing everything, jusst a minor annoyance.

Guest Neil5459
I remember now! It was going to be a killer device but never made it mainstream. Interesting to hear someone is still using one.

Can the backup batteries be replaced? My daughter's C550 and my Partner's C600 both lose the date and time when the battery is removed - not as bad as losing everything, jusst a minor annoyance.

I think it's technicall possble, but probably uneconomic with old phones! Time for the soldering iron? :(

Guest kitten2979
I think it's technicall possble, but probably uneconomic with old phones! Time for the soldering iron? :(

Ok. Does anyone have any suggestions on a phone I should upgrade to? This is the best phone with the most options I have ever seen! I want a phone with all the same features, clamshell (flip) design, flip open (both) ways, with a full keyboard, touch screen, camera, microsoft word, and excel, does have to be able to sync with my computer via microsoft outlook. Any suggestions? I don't think they have come out with a better phone. I have always wondered why it was never released in the US. Perhaps they think anericans are stupid, and can't handle the technology. I am American by the way, that is not supposed to be an offensive comment from me.

Thanks,

kitten2979

Guest Confucious

It was only ever released in small numbers in the far east - it had too many problems and was never on general release which most people thought was a shame.

No phone has the dual flip - in fact their aren't that many flip smartphones!

Have a look at the Touch Dual (HTC Niki) or HTC Kaiser

Guest kitten2979
It was only ever released in small numbers in the far east - it had too many problems and was never on general release which most people thought was a shame.

No phone has the dual flip - in fact their aren't that many flip smartphones!

Have a look at the Touch Dual (HTC Niki) or HTC Kaiser

Actually several phones have the dual flip (ex. the SCH-u740), they just don't have alot of the other options the MPX does. The candybar, and most other styles phones have are ugly, and I wouldn't want them. Which is where I run into the problem of getting a new phone, there isn't another one as good as the MPX is there?

Guest kitten2979
If you ever want to donate the ol 300 let me know :(

One device I loved but never had the chance to own.

Yeah, funny. If I come accross one I'll send the info your way. I have figured it out! The reason I am loosing the data is because the internal backup batt IS dead. Yes, by the way it does have a backup battery for those of you that were unaware of that. Anyway, my phone will not charge throught a sync cable, or car charger, although it will sync with a sync cable. I have to charge the battery through a universal wall charger "I have to remove the battery" and put it in the charger, so the problem with the internal is that it has run down, and can't recharge. So, now my question is, does anyone have any ideas on why the phone won't chare with the cable? I am stumped! If it will sync, why won't it charge?!?!?! I am going crazy. Is my charge port broken? If that is the problem why does it sync fine?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

kitten2979

Edited by kitten2979

Guest Confucious

I supose the obvious question is, is it the original cable you are using? Did you ever have it charging? Did anything change to make it stop charging?

When I said that no other phones had dual flip I was refering specifically to SmartPhones (ie WM devices) as I don't know of any other OS that will fulfil the rest of your requirements.

Guest kitten2979
I supose the obvious question is, is it the original cable you are using? Did you ever have it charging? Did anything change to make it stop charging?

When I said that no other phones had dual flip I was refering specifically to SmartPhones (ie WM devices) as I don't know of any other OS that will fulfil the rest of your requirements.

I got the phone from a friend of mine. She is not very phone savy, and she always (although I don't know why) charged it in the universal charger, I guess because she had a spare battery, so she would just charge one while she was using the other. She never knew it had a problem. So, I really have no clue why it doesn't charge , or if it ever charged. The sync/charge cable I have is motorola branded. Anybody know if it might charge with a wall charger? But, it also won't charge in the car.

Thanks,

kitten2979

Guest Confucious

What sort of connector does it have? All the HTC SmartPhones have a mini USB adapter and the wiring can differ. If the voltage is different then that coiuld explain it, it might be worth emailing Motorola directly and asking them. Like I say, there aren't many of this model arround so info is not easy to come by.

Is there any dtail printed on the battery so people can compare to other moto phones?

Guest Neil5459

I'm afraid the answer is mundane, and not very helpful :(

When you charge a WM2003 device, the charge goes through the backup battery first, to ensure it is kept fully charged. If the backup battery is totally snafu'd, it prevents any charge reaching the main battery, hence your inability to charge the main battery.

Guest kitten2979
I'm afraid the answer is mundane, and not very helpful :(

When you charge a WM2003 device, the charge goes through the backup battery first, to ensure it is kept fully charged. If the backup battery is totally snafu'd, it prevents any charge reaching the main battery, hence your inability to charge the main battery.

Why does the OS have anything to do with how the phone charges? If I put a different OS on it will that change the way it charges? Anybody know where I can buy a new internal backup battery? Thanks

Guest Confucious

WM5 introduced persistant storage which doesn't need a battery to keep the data but you can't just put it on your phone I'm affraid.

I doubt if you'll be able to just buy a new internal backup battery either - try getting inb touch with Motorolla and seeing if they can replace it for you.

Good luck.

Guest kitten2979
WM5 introduced persistant storage which doesn't need a battery to keep the data but you can't just put it on your phone I'm affraid.

I doubt if you'll be able to just buy a new internal backup battery either - try getting inb touch with Motorolla and seeing if they can replace it for you.

Good luck.

I have tried several times to contact motorola, but they don't respond. I would rather just replace the part myself, because they charge to much for doing "simple" work. I think I am going to get a copy of the WM5.0 and install it, although I think I will need to upgrade the Mem while I am at it. Still, anyone who knows where to get a backup battery, or any other parts for the phone, please tell me. Thanks

Guest Confucious

You can NOT upgrade your device to WM5!

Also replacing the backup batytery is certainly not a simple matter and you can't upgrade the memory. The phone is not user upgradeable in any way.

Guest kitten2979
You can NOT upgrade your device to WM5!

Also replacing the backup batytery is certainly not a simple matter and you can't upgrade the memory. The phone is not user upgradeable in any way.

Yes, I have already found the upgrade for WM5.0 for my phone. I am in the process of upgrading to the new OS now. I didn't say replacing the battery was easy. But I already replaced the LCD screen, cause it had a discoloration. I could build the phone from scratch if I wanted to, so replaceing the bat is not a problem for me. I actually didn't mean the memorym, I misspoke. Oops. thanks.