MP3 ringtones

Guest ProbablyX

Guest ProbablyX

Hi!

I recently contacted HTC regarding the (IMO rather bad) MP3 ringtone options. I just wanted to tell them its stupid that you cant cut an MP3 file and put it in "My Ringtones" yourself instead of going through the audio manager.

To my big surprise HTC support says I shouldnt use MP3 ringtones at all, if I do it's "on my own risk" if the speaker breaks due to high sound levels from the MP3 file. The support guy also added he wouldnt not use MP3 ringtones on his phone at all.

Is this true, is the phone speakers so "crappy" they'll break with MP3 ringtones? And why does HTC provide support for something they don't recommend?!

Is anyone here using MP3 ringtones? If so; how is it working?

Edited by ProbablyX

Hi!

I recently contacted HTC regarding the (IMO rather bad) MP3 ringtone options. I just wanted to tell them its stupid that you cant cut an MP3 file and put it in "My Ringtones" yourself instead of going through the audio manager.

To my big surprise HTC support says I shouldnt use MP3 ringtones at all, if I do it's "on my own risk" if the speaker breaks due to high sound levels from the MP3 file. The support guy also added he wouldnt not use MP3 ringtones on his phone at all.

Is this true, is the phone speakers so "crappy" they'll break with MP3 ringtones? And why does HTC provide support for something they don't recommend?!

Is anyone here using MP3 ringtones? If so; how is it working?

I'm using MP3 ringtone, without problem...In the manual you can read: ""for ringtones you can use *.wav, *.mid, *.wma, *.mp3"

Guest ProbablyX

Hehe, yeah I know the manual says it's OK. That's why I thought it was weird that HTC doesn't recommend it. I mean they can hardly say it's your fault if you claim a warranty replacement if MP3 ringtones are described in the manual! Or perhaps that's why they discourage it =P Less replacements for them to make lol.

Guest Disco Stu

I have no experience with the Wings, but can you not put the MP3s in \Application Data \Sounds or even \Storage Card \My Documents and have them show up as available in the ringtones list ?

I don't know much about media coding either but surely any format file might blow the speaker if it was loud enough ?

Then again, I've never heard of that happening anyway

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ProbablyX
I have no experience with the Wings, but can you not put the MP3s in \Application Data \Sounds or even \Storage Card \My Documents and have them show up as available in the ringtones list ?

I don't know much about media coding either but surely any format file might blow the speaker if it was loud enough ?

Then again, I've never heard of that happening anyway

I couldnt get the Wings to recognize any file format until I

A) Put the file in My Documents

:) Opened "Sound Manager" (my phone is Swedish so that title might not be 100% accurate I'm just guessing names here)

C) Opened the file in the Sound Manager

D) Took Menu -> "Set as ringtune"