This is probably gonna sound daft but...

Guest magrab

Hi, a couple of questions on terms I've come across but am not sure of (whilst looking into a new ROM thingy :D ) if anyone could help me out;

1) Flashing

2) Dumping (I think it means dumping everything off the Rom so you can get it back via back up if something goes wrong :) )

Full story: Im thinking of getting Dr Gonzo's New Guava ROM and am following the instructions but want to make sure I understand what needs to be done before knackering up my phone (HTC Vox) so if anyone has any hints, tips etc, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Guest awarner (MVP)

The term "Flashing" is used when you install a new ROM on to your device, the process involves wiping the original ROM before copying the new one across.

"Dumping" is the term used for making a copy of your phone's ROM image onto another storage media ie the pc or storage card.

Ta for the help.

If I update my radio version, what would that do and is it possible to mess my phone up?

Im guessing it's probably a good idea to dump my ROM as it is now before attempting this flash?

Sorry for the hand-holding.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Always best to ask rather than do something and regret it.

The radio is the term used for the part of the phone that handles the network reception and calls etc.

Now the question to ask you, are you sure you need to upgrade the phone? Some people do it just because it's possible but do you really need to?

Personally I would avoid flashing a device unless there was a genuine reason. There is always a risk with any flashing and the outcome could end up with a dead device especially with un-official ROMs.

Always best to ask rather than do something and regret it.

The radio is the term used for the part of the phone that handles the network reception and calls etc.

Now the question to ask you, are you sure you need to upgrade the phone? Some people do it just because it's possible but do you really need to?

Personally I would avoid flashing a device unless there was a genuine reason. There is always a risk with any flashing and the outcome could end up with a dead device especially with un-official ROMs.

Cheers again for the help - much appreciated.

I'm looking into flashing my Rom 'cos I'm pretty bored of my set up. I've seen the Guava Rom in action and it looks pretty amazing - seems to speed the device up a little too.

Probably not the best reasons to go looking to do this kind of thing, and I'm just weighing up the pro's & cons of it - also trying to understand exactly what is involved and whether it is worth the risk.

I want to make sure I have a safety net in place before I try this so I have used Sprite to give me a back-up of my phone on my PC. Would I still need to dump the ROM as well?

I'm not too bothered about jigging the radio though - I've heard that it is the most trickiest to do!

I've also read of people getting upgrades etc from the HTC site but I've never been able to find anything!

Sprite backup will only back up your programs, settings etc, you cannot use it to restore a ROM.

It's always preferable to have a proper RUU (ROM Update Utility) from your network provider or an official HTC ROM. Failing that you can dump yours and re-construct it into a flashable RUU, none of this is simple for the beginner, and you'll need to read 'til your eyes are sore so you understand it all. (you know where it seems)

I must finish off by echoing awarner's sentiments on the whole subject of it though, I've flashed a few unofficial ROMs and they always seem a bit, well unfinished, and never as slick as an officially released ROM. I've always reverted back to an official ROM after a while and tweaked it, they just work!

Ultimately only you can decide, hell it's your phone :)

Sprite backup will only back up your programs, settings etc, you cannot use it to restore a ROM.

It's always preferable to have a proper RUU (ROM Update Utility) from your network provider or an official HTC ROM. Failing that you can dump yours and re-construct it into a flashable RUU, none of this is simple for the beginner, and you'll need to read 'til your eyes are sore so you understand it all. (you know where it seems)

I must finish off by echoing awarner's sentiments on the whole subject of it though, I've flashed a few unofficial ROMs and they always seem a bit, well unfinished, and never as slick as an officially released ROM. I've always reverted back to an official ROM after a while and tweaked it, they just work!

Ultimately only you can decide, hell it's your phone :D

From what seemed like a simple task, it seems to have spiralled into a whole nest of potential vipers :) One thing leads to another which needs more investigation!!!

If there was a failsafe for doing this, then yeah I'd go for it, but it seems there are loads of tweaks I need to make when dumping the ROM and I ain't ready for that kind of thing just yet :D