Danish SPV Update: OFFICIAL Orange statement

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have just received the following from Orange, and they have asked me to post it on the site... so, Voila!

Over the last few weeks, Orange has been working with HTC and Microsoft to deliver a software update to its customers that will improve the functionality of the SPV – the world’s first phone powered by Microsoft.

Orange can confirm that its Danish business has released a trial version of the Danish language-software for the SPV, which includes a number of updates soon to be made available to its UK and French customers. Previously, in Denmark the SPV was only available with English-language software. A final Danish language version will be released in the coming weeks, depending on customer feedback. As stated on the Danish website, as with all trial versions of software, Orange strongly recommends that Danish customers back-up their applications and data before installing the trial version.

Each update – including this Danish update - is tailored to the specific network settings and infrastructure of each country network and has instructions on how to successfully download the update without wiping customer data in that country’s language. Therefore, Orange customers should not download updates to their SPV from a “foreign” Orange site as this may adversely affect the performance of their SPV.

A software update for customers in the UK and France is due to be available from their respective Orange websites soon. This update is intended to improve the speed and functionality of the SPV as well as extend the battery life.

Interesting stuff!

I have also had a chat with an 'Orange Insider' (who shall remain nameless), who informs me that they hope to get the UK update out early next week.

The 'Orange Insider' also asked me to remind you to backup your data AND applications, when applying any updates to your SPV

;)

P

Guest ajb3000

The question is, will the UK and French updates be identical except the locale settings, or will ours fix more bugs?? Also do you think the Swiss will have another update comming soon considering theirs fixed far less than then Danish one?? This whole situation seems like another cock-up with different countries having different levels of updates.

The question is, will the UK and French updates be identical except the locale settings, or will ours fix more bugs??  Also do you think the Swiss will have another update comming soon considering theirs fixed far less than then Danish one??  This whole situation seems like another cock-up with different countries having different levels of updates.

The announcement seems to imply that ours will fix more bugs, but this may just be corporate bs...

Guest spacecowboy6982

Thank god i idnt download the foreign update...cos it sounds like it screw diddly's ure phone if u do. I have de-cerified my fone, so when this new update comes along, u think it'll just block it off??

Cheers

Guest Paul [MVP]

The impression I got was that the updates fix the same things across all regions, but need to be tailored, e.g. settings, bookmarks, orange backup etc. etc.

I have my pre update full backup on SD so I can apply the UK update when it comes out.

P

Guest shadieb

Hmmm! I was all set to bite the bullet, unlock my SPV and do the update, but now I think I'll wait for the official UK update. Wonder if they will remove the decertification work around??

Guest ajb3000
"]The impression I got was that the updates fix the same things across all regions, but need to be tailored, e.g. settings, bookmarks, orange backup etc. etc.

If this were true, how could it take like a month to tailor those settings from Swiss to Danish?

Guest paulend
Heh - don't you Danish TRIALISTS bother taking our PROPER updates when they're out then!
Im not danish man, I was just saying that the update sounds good to me :!: ;) :lol:

Guest spacemonkey

I'd say the swiss one will definitely have been more minor.

I think Orange is really covering themselves, cos everything, like default bookmarks, GPRS settings, MMS settings etc on the danish update are wrong for others such as UK.

But then. I can configure this stuff myself and besides, I have danish ancestry, along with just about everywhere else in europe ;)

Orange are so totally random, I sometimes wonder if they even know WTF they are doing.

Orange has got so big one hand doesn't know what the other is doing ;)

Guest gears0001

Obviously now there's a lot of SPV owners out there who have jumped the gun and used the Denmark update even though they're in sunny Glasgow etc.

So... does anyone have a UK ROM saved on their SD card that they could email me, post here or upload to some web-space? It would be really helpful ???????!!

Gears

www.bornsloppy.co.uk

orange cheesed me off 2day cos of the probs im having with software - i asked them about the uk update and they say they have no anticipated release date and they simply refuse 2 exchange my phone they say its a known bug and ill have 2 live with it! im gonna cancel my contract if they have that sorta attitude i dont care if they black list me i spend crazy ammounts of money on my bils

ok ive let that out im calm now :oops: