Damaged Keypad Advice

Guest paulgspence

Guest paulgspence

Recently I noticed that the 'start call' and 'end call' buttons on my E650 had split, right where the light sensor is, in the middle of the bar which joins the two. Now when I press either of the buttons the split raises up above the other keys and is quite unsightly.

I'm really hacked-off about it because the phone is immaculate and hasn't been dropped or bashed and I don't use it heavily.

Anyway I've bought a replacement keypad from ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=300198339039 - which I'm hoping to fit.

I'm looking for a bit of advice beforehand though (particularly if you've replaced the keypad on a Vox before). Having looked at the HTC service manual at http://michael-channon.spaces.live.com/blo...8!272.entry it looks I either have to dismantle the entire phone, or that the keypad should prise off in an outwards and upwards kind of motion. Any views before I rip my keypad off? I'm not delighted by the prospect of dismantling the entire phone.

I bought the phone on ebay about 4 months ago, it was brand new but is essentially someone else's unwanted contract upgrade phone, so I'm not sure where I would stand attempting a warranty repair with Orange. Although the last time I had a phone repaired with Orange it came back with dirt and fingerprints on the back of the screen, meaning I had to dismantle it myself to clean it!

HTC should still warranty it. I read the repair/dismantle manual when I first got my Vox, and boy it's daunting. I would first try Orange warranty repair and then go straight to HTC with it since it's only 4 months old.

Guest johniain

I had the same thing happen on my s710 and didn't feel like sending it back under waranty so I carefully put a small drop of superglue in the middle of the joining bar and held it till it dried.

I now can't see the join and the phone looks like new again. Perhaps you could try this before doing a rebuild.

Best luck anyway

T

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mattpayne

just give Orange a call and the next day there will be a man with a new phone on your doorstep :D

this happened to me this week... phoned Orange customer services on tuesday afternoon, had new replacement phone weds 7pm (i opted for the 6pm - 10pm delivery time) :(

Guest kidinspace

The Orange way could be tricky, we usually require a proof of purchase to send the phone away from a Retail Shop (like the one i work in) and i'm not sure what would they would require over the phone.

Besides i don't trust the repair centre especially when it comes to smartphones, their turnaround time is shocking and i'm also never convinced witht their QC process before the phone leaves....AND they have a awful habit of flashing the phone before the phone gets sent back, even if it only needs hardware replacing!

So in short, i would send it to HTC!

.G.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Max Wood

Get it replaced if you can.

Excuse my language here. I'm on my fourth one of these pieces of s*** and i'm sick of them. Worst build quality ever.