Getting ringtones from computer to blackberry pearl?

Guest The Junlge Cook

Guest The Junlge Cook

Hey guys, first post here. Decided to give this board a shot because it seems to have quite a few intelligent members and active ones at that.

Yea basically the title says it all- I don't want to pay 3 bucks for a ringtone of a song I already own so I would like to know how to get them from my computer to my Pearl.

I have already tried using the file manager that came with the Pearl and it does not seem to work.

Here's what I've done so far, maybe I went down the wrong path somewhere?

1.) edited the mp3 down to 19 seconds using Wavepad.

2.) copied the edited file to the Ringtones file under the Device Memory folder (kept it as an mp3 because it is a supported ringtone type of the Pearl)

3.) Now the file is on my phone.

Now for the problem- when I try to play the file on my phone it simply will not play... can anyone take a guess as to why?

Maybe I need to get a Micro SD card first? There was obviously enough space in the device memory though or it would not be on my phone...

Also, I have heard of transferring ringtones via bluetooth, is this easier I am actually experienced when it comes to computer stuff, this is just the first integrating the phone with the computer, so I could easily setup a USB bluetooth device if this would be an easier method.

Thanks for your time! :)

Guest The Junlge Cook

Something I just noticed-

When the media player opens the file to play the ringtone, it does not show the correct total time of the song.

It does however, though, show the correct time on the preoaded ringtones...

I'm thinking maybe I screwed up somewhere using Wavepad?

Guest The Junlge Cook

Ok guys, figured it out so will post one here in case anyone else has this problem....

Apparently the Wavecutter program saved the audio file as a different type not supported by the Pearl.

It's actually a quite easy fix, too! :) In the Pearl's Media Manager software (comes with the phone via cd-rom) when you copy down the file to the phones ringtone folder it will ask you:

1.)if you want to convert for optimal playback

2.) No conversion

3.) Advanced conversion

You want to choose 3 then go down to audio options in the pop-up box. I selected 44 Hz and 128 Kpbs and it works and sounds great!

Hope this will help someone out other than me... if anyone has a question over it drop me a line... thanks