newbie teething problems

Guest chiefdave

Guest chiefdave

so i've had my tytn for about a week now and i'm having a few teething problems:

1) i use my phone as my alarm, i can't get the alarm to sound with everything else on silent, this means i have to leave the phone on and get woken up by text messages / emails or put it on silent and get no alarm. am i missing something as this seems a fairly basic feature to not have, all my previous phones have sounded the alarm even with the phone switched off!

2) i can sync documents by putting them in a MDA_Vario_III My Documents folder however there's a couple of problems with that: it means i have to lose my folder structure on the pc and it seems to sych to the phone rather than the memory card. how can i indicate on my pc which files t sync and where i want them on my phone?

3) i posted a separate thread about this but i'm not sure i was clear:

i have a laptop for work, it's on a domain with an exchange server which holds my work emails / calander / tasks / contacts. in the same outlook profile i have personal folders which is a pst file locally on the laptop containing my personal emails / calander / tasks / contacts. In an ideal world i'd like to sync to my work exchange server over the air and my personal folders through activesync with new emails being delivered through pop3. I'd want these to appear as two different accounts on my phone. When i connected my phone to my laptop it will only pick up the exchange account and doesn't seem to have any option to point it at the personal folders. I ended up getting my old laptop out and setting up outlook on that, it they syncs that account fine however it syncs it to outlook e-mail on the phone and i can't see anywhere to put pop3 settings in on that so i had to set up another folder meaning i've ended up with the sync stuff in one account and new messages on another - not ideal. I thought about subscribing to an exchange provider for my personal mail which i'm thinking would solve the problem but i think that would mean i would lose my personal email on my work laptop (as i don't think outlook will let you have connections to 2 exchange servers) and i imagine that you can only sync to 1 exchange server on the phone?

any ideas? the main priority on my phone is my personal email but it would be nice to have both and it would also be nice to be able to still access my personal email on my work laptop but i guess if it comes to it i could use owa for that.

any help would be appreciated guys as these few issues are driving me mad!

Guest nevawlkalone

i can only offer advice in 2...

The way to get the items you want to go onto the storage card is simply to connect your device and then drag and drop the items onto your card with out using the MDA_VARIO_3 folder. I have never used this and find DnD works fine for me.

HTH

M

Guest Phil Lee

1. If you switch flight mode on, the phone part will switch off and you will still be able to use the alarm clock.

3. You can only sync with one Outlook account, either with an Exchange Server or with Outlook on a particular PC.

Guest chiefdave
The way to get the items you want to go onto the storage card is simply to connect your device and then drag and drop the items onto your card with out using the MDA_VARIO_3 folder. I have never used this and find DnD works fine for me.

that would work and may have to be the workaround, the drawback of course being that it wouldn't be automatic.

Guest chiefdave
1. If you switch flight mode on, the phone part will switch off and you will still be able to use the alarm clock.

good idea, obviously means that the emails not ready and waiting in the morning but that's no biggie.

3. You can only sync with one Outlook account, either with an Exchange Server or with Outlook on a particular PC.

i wouldn't have thought it was that unusual these days for people to have more than one account they want access to on the go, i wouldn't consider myself a particularly demanding mobile user but that does seem to be a fairly major omission.

so it looks like sync with my work laptop is a no go as that always defaults to the exchange mailbox rather than my personal folders and won't let me change it. that leaves me with either renting an exchange service for my personal mail (anyone recommend someone) or sync with my home laptop which seems to have the problem of then not letting me set the mobile to recieve pop3 messages to the outlook mail folder leaving me with my new messages in a different folder to my sync messages, i guess that's not a huge problem but it's certainly a bit annoying - anyone know if that's solvable?

Guest nevawlkalone
that would work and may have to be the workaround, the drawback of course being that it wouldn't be automatic.

this is true but once you have filled the card and you are only adding single files every now and then are you not?

Guest chiefdave
this is true but once you have filled the card and you are only adding single files every now and then are you not?

it's not so much files that i'd be adding, it's the ones that i'd be changing and wanting to keep in sync (expenses, timesheets etc), i think i might have a look and see if there's any 3rd party bit of software that will do the job neatly, would be nice to be able to just plug in and know i have the right version everywhere.

Guest jimbouk
good idea, obviously means that the emails not ready and waiting in the morning but that's no biggie.

i wouldn't have thought it was that unusual these days for people to have more than one account they want access to on the go, i wouldn't consider myself a particularly demanding mobile user but that does seem to be a fairly major omission.

so it looks like sync with my work laptop is a no go as that always defaults to the exchange mailbox rather than my personal folders and won't let me change it. that leaves me with either renting an exchange service for my personal mail (anyone recommend someone) or sync with my home laptop which seems to have the problem of then not letting me set the mobile to recieve pop3 messages to the outlook mail folder leaving me with my new messages in a different folder to my sync messages, i guess that's not a huge problem but it's certainly a bit annoying - anyone know if that's solvable?

I prefer having work and personal email separate. My laptop and device both collect my work email from my 4smartphone hosted exchange account. Both can also access my pop email accounts. When out and about, I usually close laptop down and pick up new emails from both in different mail folders on device (on on directpush and the other polling every 15 mins). As long as I dont delete the new personal emails, they are still available on my laptop later and I can

I manually filter personal emails into a different subfolder (which I have told my device to sync anyway).

I can thus have a months worth of work and personal emails in my outlook mailbox on both laptop and device.

Guest nevawlkalone
it's not so much files that i'd be adding, it's the ones that i'd be changing and wanting to keep in sync (expenses, timesheets etc), i think i might have a look and see if there's any 3rd party bit of software that will do the job neatly, would be nice to be able to just plug in and know i have the right version everywhere.

i see, i only use my storge card for music and pics not really any majorly changed office documents etc. apologies

Guest chiefdave
i see, i only use my storge card for music and pics not really any majorly changed office documents etc. apologies

no need for apologies! that's def a workable option, would just require me to pay a bit of attention - that's the most likely point of failure!!!!!

Guest nevawlkalone

Anyone on here heard of Robocopy? Its a free windows program used to copy data, if i can get WM5 storage to map a drive to the storage car mabe a .bat file could be created to purge the contents of one folder to the storage card???

That way all you would need to do is to update the folder on your desktop PC as and when...then when you sync your device do the usual active sync jiggery pokery then activate WM5 Storage and run he bat file, purgin all the information.

Anyone any thoughts?

Guest chiefdave
Wish MS would make foldershare for WinMo :)

a couple of weeks in it does seem to me that there's quite a list of things people would expect to find that are missing from WM, it's not like it's the first version either!

Guest nevawlkalone
That would work, it's just a simple file copy. Not ideal tho...

Wish MS would make foldershare for WinMo :)

P

Tried it on my Kaiser and it totalled my explorer on laptop till i disabled the software so not good.

Aye would be good, save many problems. There must be something already inplace though if AS can sync a PC based folder with the device????

• 1 month later...
Guest sameerabedi

I appear to have a problem with the alarms on this phone. I've had the time set to 7.30am and for the past week two reminders appear saying alarm 1 of 2 both at 7.30am. This morning I changed the time to 8am and yet the alram still went off at 7.30am and then another alarm at 8am.

I remember having a similar problem when I had the SPV M3100 (this phones predecessor) but I can't remember how I overcame it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I appear to have a problem with the alarms on this phone. I've had the time set to 7.30am and for the past week two reminders appear saying alarm 1 of 2 both at 7.30am. This morning I changed the time to 8am and yet the alram still went off at 7.30am and then another alarm at 8am.

I remember having a similar problem when I had the SPV M3100 (this phones predecessor) but I can't remember how I overcame it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like the old alarm is still in the Notification queue - SKTools should sort that one out.

Anyone on here heard of Robocopy? Its a free windows program used to copy data, if i can get WM5 storage to map a drive to the storage car mabe a .bat file could be created to purge the contents of one folder to the storage card???

That way all you would need to do is to update the folder on your desktop PC as and when...then when you sync your device do the usual active sync jiggery pokery then activate WM5 Storage and run he bat file, purgin all the information.

Anyone any thoughts?

Might be worth having a look at Goodsync (trial version is limited to 100 files or fewer, but full version is only $20 I think). I've not tried it, but I would have thought that if you had a load of different folders you wanted to Sync to the card, it should be able to do it. Goodsync can be triggered to run a sync when you insert a removable hard disk (or phone in this case which mounts as mass storage anyway) and it recurses files, so you shouldn't lose the folder structure. I might give it a go when I get home from work, but if someone else wants to try it out in the meantime with the trial version I would be interested to know if it's a solution or not.

Guest sameerabedi
Sounds like the old alarm is still in the Notification queue - SKTools should sort that one out.

Thanks for getting back to me, how do I get SKTools and how do I use it to get rid of the Notification?

Thanks