Orbit 2 (touch cruise) poor/unresponsive touch screen

Guest slippers

Guest slippers

Hi,

I have just taken delivery of a o2 XDA orbit2 and was a little disappointed to discover that the touch screen is far less responsive than previous HTC devices I have owned (the last being a MDA Compact 3). At first I assumed this was a fault and have already booked a swap out but have since been told that it may be down to the type of screen used in these devices. The issue is that if I use the stylus (or finger) to lightly tap the screen, nothing happens. For it to acknowledge a screen press you need to press quite hard. It is possible to tap the screen with the stylus loud enough to hear a clear 'tap' noise and still have no response. Im just hoping someone can tell me if this is normal or not. I may be able to get used to it but currently Im missing out letters all over the place when attempting to send texts and emails and finding it quite frustrating. I really hope it is just a faulty handset. Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks

Paul

Guest Neil5459

I've not tried this myself, but there is a registry entry which governs the screen tap sensitivity.

Another user has posted this advice:

"By using a registry editor on the phone and editing the following value:

HKLM\Drivers\Touchpanel\Pressure Threshold

Change the default value to a higher one of your choice. I have mine set at 40866."

I don't know how that figure is arrived at :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

The 'Touch' range screens DO require a bit more effort, but having used a Touch Dual at least the latest generation is much improved. I haven't used an Orbit 2 so couldn't comment... however they are NOT as sensitive as the old type.

P

Guest slippers

Thanks for the replies. My swap is booked for tomorrow. If it's the same I guess I'll have to try the reg edit and get used to it. Aside from this issue it does seem like a nice little device!

Paul

Guest slippers

Incase anyone is interested, I got the replacement and it's exactly the same, lovely phone but very unresponsive touch screen when compared to previous (I guess non 'touch' range) HTC devices. In the mean time I've aquired an unlocked Voda branded Kaiser and it works perfectly for me and is just what Im used to so I think I'll likely keep that instead. Seems a shame as I have been looking forward to the cruise since I first heard about it. At least they're doing well on ebay :)

Paul

• 1 month later...
Guest daftveggie

I've just taken delivery of the Orbit 2 and I know what you mean. It feels like there is an extra think bit of plastic between the screen and the touch sensor.

What I would say is that it doesn't seem to need as much force when using the HTC apps rather than the windows ones, like the album viewer and the cube menus. That might just be subjective but that's what I thought.

I've only had it a day now but already I'm used to the extra pressure and it also make you use the jog wheel more, which I think is a good thing!!

Guest krastins

YES them screens form cheap ebuy(hong kong) are big shits i got one and same problem, not respond corect, very bad quality screeens, my was broken after 5 days again cos of bad quality:(

when i asked to sellers are they 100% original all say yes------ BULL s***

so wich LCD screen i realy neeeed??????????? HELP any links to original original LCD and how much them cost?

you can see on picture crack and no plastic inside its means!!!!!!! simple window screeen:(((((((((((( very easy to broke........ like i sed 5 days for meee and 25 pounds was gone:))))))))))))

post-364663-1207532456_thumb.jpg

post-364663-1207532585_thumb.jpg

Edited by krastins

• 2 months later...
Guest Widescreen

:D that seems strange .. ive just gone from an orbit 1 to an orbit 2 and the screen feels just as responsive as the orbit 1

Guest Martin@Home

My 2 penneth...

I've tried the reg hack and it didn't really seem to make much of a difference. Is this then perhaps a manifestation of the video driver (or lack of) that causes slowdown while the device is reading a screen press?

I've found you can use light finger pressure as long as you pause ever so slightly before gesturing or releasing giving the software time to catch up and register the press. Its seems extra finger pressure is needed but by applying the extra pressure all you are actually doing is pressing for longer

Edited by Martin@Home

• 1 month later...
Guest chaznet

I've noticed the difference in responsiveness and accuracy with this screen as well. I've tried the reg-hack mentioned here, but it made no difference. My regular Touch is better when it comes to using the HTC keyboard. On the Cruise, there are a lot more typos, the wrong key gets registered surprisingly often. I've recalibrated numerous times, so that's not it. I've noticed this screen has a bunch of 'dots' if you hold it sideways, so it's using something different -- or something I just can't see on my plain Touch. I've also noticed the Cruise screen has a slight light brownish tint to it, which I'm assuming has something to do with it being a 'anti-glare' screen. Viewing it at an angle greatly diminishes the tint. I inquired with HTC support, they told me to do a hard-reset, the general keep-busy response.

I've only had mine a couple weeks and am hoping it just needs a breaking-in period...

Edited by chaznet

• 5 months later...
Guest Bartlettpsj
I've noticed the difference in responsiveness and accuracy with this screen as well. I've tried the reg-hack mentioned here, but it made no difference. My regular Touch is better when it comes to using the HTC keyboard. On the Cruise, there are a lot more typos, the wrong key gets registered surprisingly often. I've recalibrated numerous times, so that's not it. I've noticed this screen has a bunch of 'dots' if you hold it sideways, so it's using something different -- or something I just can't see on my plain Touch. I've also noticed the Cruise screen has a slight light brownish tint to it, which I'm assuming has something to do with it being a 'anti-glare' screen. Viewing it at an angle greatly diminishes the tint. I inquired with HTC support, they told me to do a hard-reset, the general keep-busy response.

I've only had mine a couple weeks and am hoping it just needs a breaking-in period...

Any change? I've had mine about 5-6 months and the screen is annoyingly unresponsive. Frustratingly! It had to repaired for something else and when returned was the same. They even upgraded the OS to Win 6.1. It might be the slow O/S (Windows Mobile) as I loaded android onto it and it was very responsive. It was just the emulated beta, but was far far faster and more responsive to the stylus. Perhaps the CPU is too slow on the Orbit 2, or else the power saving is too agressive and slows the CPU to a crawl. Either ways, nothing I have managed to do (and it has been reset a number of times) has made it go faster ---- but I can make it go even slower!!