eXpansys / MWg drop price of the Atom Life to £199

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Holy bargain Pocket PC Batman, as the title suggests, eXpansys have dropped the price of the rather tasty MWg Atom Life to a bargain £199!

atomlife.png

The Atom Life is currently myself and Monolithix's Podcast Featured Device, and we've been putting it through it's paces over the last couple of weeks. In a nutshell, it's without a shadow of a doubt the fastest and most repsonsive Pocket PC i've ever tested, and if you can live without a keyboard or GPS, it should be on your shortlist (especially at this price!)

Specs are as follows:

• Windows Mobile 6 Professional
  • Intel XScale® PXA 270 Processor at 624 MHz
  • Tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900
  • UMTS 1900/2100
  • EGPRS (EDGE)
  • HSDPA
  • 2.7" TFT QVGA display
  • 1GB Flash ROM
  • 64MB RAM

• FM Radio with RDS
  • Stereo Speakers
  • SRS WOW HD sound
  • 2 Megapixels CMOS Macro-focus camera
  • Preview mirror for self portrait
  • White LED strobe flash
  • Secondary VGA CMOS camera for video calls

• MiniSD expandable memory - Supports miniSDHC high capacity cards
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g

• IrDA Infrared
  • 106mm(L) x 58mm(W) x 18mm(T)
  • 145g

...and you can also check out my unboxing here!

:)

[View full details and buy]

P

Guest paulbds

Saw it and bought itTuesday night, - -had my eye on it for a while but when I saw price drop......

Arrived today - -absolute bargin...this is going to replace my N95 (fell in a cup of coffee at work, but is being replaced by insurance)

I really miss the WM format.

Only slight problem is that I am on a 3 contract so will have to hope the internet works on 3 (have the X series and 1 GB allowance from 3)

I have transferred the Garmin XT card and installed no problem on the MWG phone

Paul

Colwyn Bay

Guest Monolithix

There's no reason it won't work on three, it if doesn't auto detect your settings (mine picked up the TMob UK ones fine) you just need to add an internet connection with the accesspoint "three.co.uk", and username and password both as "guest" (all without the quotes of course...)

Great little device! :)

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one too - plus a 4Gb MiniSD SDHC card (and already downloaded the patch to enable SDHC). :D

It's also goodbye T-Mobile as I've signed up with O2 on a SIM only contract - £25 a month for 600 xNet minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet, and 30 day rolling contract. Not bad! :)

Guest mcwarre
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one too - plus a 4Gb MiniSD SDHC card (and already downloaded the patch to enable SDHC). :D

It's also goodbye T-Mobile as I've signed up with O2 on a SIM only contract - £25 a month for 600 xNet minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet, and 30 day rolling contract. Not bad! :)

The unlimited web bolt on is a £7.50 option, innit?

Would you point me to the SDHC patch please?

Guest mcwarre

Cheers Paul :)

Expansys have shipped mine so a new toy tomorrow!! Also have to spend £500 on a new telly as the old one went kaput (13 years old so can't complain). I'll be all gadgeted out tomorrow. Is that a proper word?

I got my email from Expansys today too saying it has been shipped. Hurrah! :D

As for the Unlimited Internet bolt on, it's free on some 'Online' tariffs. Some tariffs come with a free unlimited texts bolt on, but you can change this to the unlimited internet bolt on. And I have it confirmed by O2 customer service that is gives unlimited access to their 3G network (with the same restrictions as T-Mob - i.e. no streaming, VOIP, modem use etc).

Roll on tomorrow so I can play with my new toy. Why do they insist on making these shiny black gadgets, they just know us blokes can't resist! :)

Guest mcwarre

Spotted it - you change the 'Unlimited O2 to O2 calls' bolt on to unlimited internet. Tempted but not sure. Still have a 3 contract so may as well use that with. Does Three's add-on for web block specific ports (thinking email)?

Edit: If I read the Three page it tells me. Derrrr...................... Does TT Trafic work ok through three?

Sorry this is slightly off-topic.

Nearly time for that Gadget to arrive :)

Edited by mcwarre

Mine arrived this morning - along with the new SIM from O2 - how's that for timing?? :D

Well I've had a play and the first thing I noticed is - compared to the Vario II anyway - it's dinky and much lighter. Noticed the speed difference too - that XScale processor is a beast! just in the process of copying everything over from the old phone to the new one. Fun fun fun! :)

Guest Sudhir K

hi there...all the way from malaysia...planning to buy an Atom Life from eXpansys and getting it shipped to a friend in the UK. There is a 5 day estimated wait for stock, when do you guys think they will ship it if i put in an order today because the friend im getting shipped to will be leaving in 7 days. And how efficient are they? Because i can't hardly wait to get my hands on it with all the reviews and responses about it...hahaha albeit being the first person in Msia to get my hands on it...cheers guys!

hi there...all the way from malaysia...planning to buy an Atom Life from eXpansys and getting it shipped to a friend in the UK. There is a 5 day estimated wait for stock, when do you guys think they will ship it if i put in an order today because the friend im getting shipped to will be leaving in 7 days. And how efficient are they? Because i can't hardly wait to get my hands on it with all the reviews and responses about it...hahaha albeit being the first person in Msia to get my hands on it...cheers guys!

You would be best contacting Expansys directly to check on shipping times. There was a 5 day wait when I ordered mine but it was shipped the following day! :)

Guest Sudhir K
You would be best contacting Expansys directly to check on shipping times. There was a 5 day wait when I ordered mine but it was shipped the following day! :)

alright cheers mate on that info, could u tell me when u put in your order if you don't mind? besides that does anyone who has already got the Life and played around with it, have anything to say: pros & cons? would love to hear on the feedback.

one last thing, lotsa sites and even on the xda-developer forum site have iPhone looking themes and the S2U2 (formerly slide2unlock feature) installed in their PPC's, was just wondering whether it would be a good thing to do so or will it spoil the Life.

thanks and will update once i get it and if i do...

Edited by Sudhir K

Guest Paul (MVP)
alright cheers mate on that info, could u tell me when u put in your order if you don't mind? besides that does anyone who has already got the Life and played around with it, have anything to say: pros & cons? would love to hear on the feedback.

one last thing, lotsa sites and even on the xda-developer forum site have iPhone looking themes and the S2U2 (formerly slide2unlock feature) installed in their PPC's, was just wondering whether it would be a good thing to do so or will it spoil the Life.

thanks and will update once i get it and if i do...

A really really quick pros and cons:

PROS

- Pretty small

- Feels very well put together

- Quite attractive

- Full complement of hardware buttons (I remapped the media one to OK)

- Nice screen

- Blistering performance!

- Good 3G performance

- 2.5" headphone port

- miniSD

- IR

- WinMo 6 with a nice build

- Full size stylus

- Flash on Camera

- FM Radio

- Windows Live included

- Great value!

CONS

- Cam is 'only' 2MP (but isn't bad)

- MWG logo on front is only a sticker, and peels off to reveal an O2 logo (ok, so no huge deal)

- No GPS or keyboard (if you need them)

- Loses time when battery is removed

- Stylus 'bends' a bit, it could be more solid

Ummmm, anyone got anything else to add? :)

P

Guest Sudhir K

CONS

- MWG logo on front is only a sticker, and peels off to reveal an O2 logo (ok, so no huge deal)

so what you are saying paul is that these sets arent brand new like they say they are? because i called up eXpansys(UK, USA and HK) and they said that these are brand new ones and not like in asia where they are trying to sell off the old O2 sets instead of giving the new ones...thats a rip off don't ya think?

and when would you be coming out with that full review of the Life? another forum topic has a post saying that the battery life is quite exhaustive..

thanks a lot fellas!

CONS

so what you are saying paul is that these sets arent brand new like they say they are? because i called up eXpansys(UK, USA and HK) and they said that these are brand new ones and not like in asia where they are trying to sell off the old O2 sets instead of giving the new ones...thats a rip off don't ya think?

and when would you be coming out with that full review of the Life? another forum topic has a post saying that the battery life is quite exhaustive..

thanks a lot fellas!

I think they are brand new as the older ones had weaker specs (IIRC), they probably just shipped the O2 version of it (released in some of Europe instead of the Stellar) and stuck an MWG sticker o n.

Guest Paul (MVP)
CONS

thanks a lot fellas!

Oh they are brand new of course, simply MWg is the new name for O2 Asia!

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.