SPV M700 Nubie

Guest JonnyAlpha

Guest JonnyAlpha

Hi;

I have just bought an Orange SPV M700 from E Bay (Supposed to be brand new??) not got it yet but I want to ask a few questions to get the most out of this phone.

The phone is locked to Orange which is OK as I`ll be using my Orange PAYG SIM Card.

1. What "Must Have" applications should I install?

2. I don`t want to buy GPS software just yet but what is the best for this phone, TomTom6 or CoPilot or other?

3. I have heard that google maps is a good substitute but can it run without needing a data connection? I am PAYG and WILL NOT be using 3G.

4. I have heard there are problems with data cards over 2GB so Ive just ordered a Sandisk 2GB Mini SD, how can you install app`s to the data card rather than using up the phones internall 128MB.

5. I see TomTom do a Mini SD version of thier GPS software what if you get the non mini SD version can it be installed to an SD card? Along with maps so if you need to use GPS you just stick in the GPS Mini SD Card.

6. The phone does not appear to have been supplied with a wall charger!!! is that a standard accessorie I.E. do you normally get one with the Orange SPV M700 package?

7. I have seen several sites / people selling USB Sync / Charging Cradles, anyone recommend which ones to get and alternatively which ones to steer clear of.

I have seen ones that only plug into a USB port meaning the PC has to be on for power and others that have an input for a mains plug, I have also seen models allowing you to charge an extra battery??

Sorry lots of questions and I`m sure once I get the phone there will be lots more.

Many thanks for you patience.

:D

Guest Robbied

1. The "Must Have" applications are mostly down to personal choice and what you intend to do with your phone. For me though I couldn't live without TomTom, Total Commander (file explorer software because built in file explorer is rubbish) PsShutXP (a phone reset app) efrost FTouchFlo (finger scrolling software) to name but a few.

2. I can't advise, only to say that TomTom works a treat.

3. Not sure

4. My 4GB card went tits up so I bought a 2GB. So far so good. Installing apps is done using the phone itself. The setup files can be copied to your phone or card using the Activesync software that comes with the phone or using a card reader.

5. You can copy the TomTom data to your 2GB card and still have plenty of space for other stuff.

6. If you didn't get a wall charger then it's not a new phone. You get one as standard from new.

7. I've never had a cradle so can't answer. You should as standard get a USB sync cable with the phone that charges when the PC is on.

Hope this helps.

Guest jimbouk

1. What "Must Have" applications should I install?

Try a few out.

2. I don`t want to buy GPS software just yet but what is the best for this phone, TomTom6 or CoPilot or other?

I like Copoilot personally.

3. I have heard that google maps is a good substitute but can it run without needing a data connection? I am PAYG and WILL NOT be using 3G.

Google Maps does require data connection and uses it to download maps - plus it doesnt provide turn by turn directions the same way that TT or Copilot can.

4. I have heard there are problems with data cards over 2GB so Ive just ordered a Sandisk 2GB Mini SD, how can you install app`s to the data card rather than using up the phones internall 128MB.

As above, you can copy cab files etc onto the card from your pc - and when you install an app, it will ask if you want it on device or card. You can also tell your device to save email attachments/pics etc on the card instead of on device.

5. I see TomTom do a Mini SD version of thier GPS software what if you get the non mini SD version can it be installed to an SD card? Along with maps so if you need to use GPS you just stick in the GPS Mini SD Card.

You can copy the satnav files onto your own card. Sat Nav with one country maps usually takes between 100 and 150mb so a 2gb card can still leave tons of room for music etc.

6. The phone does not appear to have been supplied with a wall charger!!! is that a standard accessorie I.E. do you normally get one with the Orange SPV M700 package?

A wall charger certainly is normal.

7. I have seen several sites / people selling USB Sync / Charging Cradles, anyone recommend which ones to get and alternatively which ones to steer clear of. I have seen ones that only plug into a USB port meaning the PC has to be on for power and others that have an input for a mains plug, I have also seen models allowing you to charge an extra battery??

You should at least get a USB sync lead - which will charge via the pc's USB port. All the other options are really a matter of choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JonnyAlpha

well I now have my SPV and imo its brilliant! :D Its so easyto use I'm on it right now writing this post! I am going to play around with it for a while before I install anything. Thanks