The official Asus P750 'ask nedge' thread

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Joost39

Well ordered it on expansys.com with the nice voucher from Modaco - thx Paul.

Now 13 days to go.

Item / Stock Qty Price Total

------ ---------------------------------------- --- ------- --------

132736 £8.51 voucher (Net of tax) 1 -8.51 -8.51

In Stock

157737 P750 (UK, English) 1 297.83 297.83

Est. 13 Days

------ ---------------------------------------- --- ------- --------

Guest Joost39

Its the closest thing to N95 8GB but with the touchscreen. I love the facts about this unit and hope the bluetoothissue I/and others have with the iPAQ 614c is better in the P750.

iPAQ 614c too - but wouldent recommend it.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
May someone comment on the USB1.1 comment post here; ( http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=882596 ) ? I apologize, but posted in the wrong topic. TIA!

Question:

How good is its video playback?

Its supposed to have major multimedia problems: http://www.modaco.com/content/Pocket-PC-Ge...50-i-mate-etc-/

Is it comparable to the Kaiser/Cruise in this feature?

Guys, are there specific tests you'd like me to perform?

@hrcro2 - thanks for the benchmarks! :D

Guest Amplificator

How is the battery life?

Have you noticed any kinds of performance issues due to that it only got 64MB of RAM?

Noticed any problems in general with it?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
How is the battery life?

Have you noticed any kinds of performance issues due to that it only got 64MB of RAM?

Noticed any problems in general with it?

Battery life is average for a device of this type. I can get a week out of it if I don't use wifi/3g/bt/gps and just use it for calls/sms. With all the bells an wistles running, you're looking at about a day but as I say, that's pretty much the same as the rest of the device like this.

Not had any performance issues due to the lack of RAM and with the CPU in turbo mode, it's one of the fastest devices around :D

Not had any real problems with it in general that a software update wouldn't fix - I'm told one is due soon but in the mean time, Asus have release a couple of patches which seem to work well.

Guest Amplificator
Battery life is average for a device of this type. I can get a week out of it if I don't use wifi/3g/bt/gps and just use it for calls/sms. With all the bells an wistles running, you're looking at about a day but as I say, that's pretty much the same as the rest of the device like this.

Not had any performance issues due to the lack of RAM and with the CPU in turbo mode, it's one of the fastest devices around :D

Not had any real problems with it in general that a software update wouldn't fix - I'm told one is due soon but in the mean time, Asus have release a couple of patches which seem to work well.

Does it's GPS work without the need of a SIM card? (as in without the "Assisted" part?) or is it required to update GPS information every 3rd day or so?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Does it's GPS work without the need of a SIM card? (as in without the "Assisted" part?) or is it required to update GPS information every 3rd day or so?

Yep, works fine without a sim or without updating the AGPS software :D

Guest Amplificator
Yep, works fine without a sim or without updating the AGPS software :D

Amazing.. All I need is for a Danish version to be released, or at least a way to add Danish xT9.. Do you know if that's possible on WM Pro? I know it is on WM Standard.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Ok, VS Benchmark results for the P750 as follows:

Graphics: 2211

Others: 2574

JPEG: 3818

Games: 1858

Sound: 0294

Overall: 2151

MUCH better than the Kaiser :D

Guest Amplificator
Ok, VS Benchmark results for the P750 as follows:

Graphics: 2211

Others: 2574

JPEG: 3818

Games: 1858

Sound: 0294

Overall: 2151

MUCH better than the Kaiser :D

Do you know a solution to my previous question about the xT9?

Also, how is the automatic switching from 3G to 2G or the other way around?

On the HP iPAQ 614c it's quite buggy and drops the connection and needs a soft reset. I hope it's not the case with this device too.

Edited by Amplificator

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Do you know a solution to my previous question about the xT9?

Also, how is the automatic switching from 3G to 2G or the other way around?

On the HP iPAQ 614c it's quite buggy and drops the connection and needs a soft reset. I hope it's not the case with this device too.

Don't know about the xt9 sorry but I would imagine there'd be some way of adding the Danish language to it. As for the 2G/3G, the connection will always drop when switching but it comes back up again fine.

Guest dudegalea

The hardware lock switch really sells it to me. I can't understand why other PDAs don't do this.

It's all very well having a software lock, but when my PDA alarm rings in my pocket, the device wakes up so the screen and buttons are available for pushing. And it's very easy for my leg to inadvertently cancel the alarm, or do some other unexpected task (such as keep the PDA awake ad infinitum, now it's on).

That goes for all the WM devices I've had. It's such an obvious design flaw.

I think I'm gonna get a P750.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
The hardware lock switch really sells it to me. I can't understand why other PDAs don't do this.

It's all very well having a software lock, but when my PDA alarm rings in my pocket, the device wakes up so the screen and buttons are available for pushing. And it's very easy for my leg to inadvertently cancel the alarm, or do some other unexpected task (such as keep the PDA awake ad infinitum, now it's on).

That goes for all the WM devices I've had. It's such an obvious design flaw.

I think I'm gonna get a P750.

Indeed, I find the hardware lock one of the best features of the device. It's so handy! :D

Guest dudegalea
Indeed, I find the hardware lock one of the best features of the device. It's so handy! :D

One of the reasons I don't use a WM pro device as a phone is this lack of hw lock. I've tried it before. The phone rings in my pocket, so the screen and keys are now active and accepting input. The slightest brush of the screen against my leg, or push of a button can cause the call to be answered or rejected before I've even had a chance to see who was calling!

The HTC TyTN II has another flaw along these lines. A gentle movement can cause the slider to open just a bit... which wakes up the device, again leaving the screen and keys open to activation.

I realise there's a sw Lock function available, but it's just too inconvenient to have to activate it every time I put the PDA in my pocket.

Anyway, I've placed an order for the P750 now. :(

Guest Amplificator
Mine is on the way from Germany - yes... but needs som flashing to WWE. Should arrive next week.

Du skulle ikke vide om den har Dansk xT9, eller om det er muligt at tilføje den?

Er ligeglad med dansk menu, men dansk ordbog er et must, og hvis det kan tilføjes vil jeg også få fat i en fra England eller Tyskland :D

Guest MartinJT

Okay, I'm really new to whole Smartphone thing so I was wondering if you could answer me a few questions. Some are specific to the Asus P750.

Firstly, I'm still unsure as to what the AGPS is, I've done some research and it appears to suggest that it just gives the software positions of satellites to make it easier to acquire a lock. so my question is, does it need to be permanently connected to the net to do this and if so, does it use much download capacity? also is it any good or does it make a difference?

The Asus has only 64MB RAM, does this make much of a difference? I'm toying between the HP iPAQ 614c, the HTC Touch Cruise and the Asus P750, the others do have 128, but does it make a noticeable difference? also the iPAQ and the Asus have the 520Mhz Marvell processors in comparison to the cruise which only has 400Mhz.

The reason I'm looking at a smartphone is mainly reading e-mail while I'm out and about and surfing the web too. Are there anythings I should be considering for these uses? Is a numeric keypad the best thing? or should I really be looking for a Qwerty slide phone?

I like the phone style look to the Asus and the iPAQ, but I like the touch-flo interface of the Cruise, which of those to would you think is of greater benefit?

I would really like to actually see the phones, but nowhere in the UK seems to stock them instore, so I'm relying on people's opinions to go by...

Any help here would be much appreciated...

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Guest Joost39

I have the Touch Cruise and love it - its a keeper!

I had the iPAQ, not for me though, because of the size and builtquality and bluetoothstack.

I´m waiting for the ASUS to arrive next week from Germany - and I´ll tell you what I think when it arrives! I have to flash to WWE, but thx to the Russian site its no problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.