Best GPS receiver for Touch Plus/Dual

Guest Zach2k

Guest Zach2k

Hi, I recently purchased the Touch Plus (identical to Touch Dual as far as I'm aware), but I really need to use it as a navigator.

Is any particular GPS receiver recommended? Or do they all pretty much do the same job to the same quality?

I've come across one which seems 'discreet' but dont know about the brand

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/15344.htm

thanks for any info/help

Guest Zach2k
SirfStar III is generally considered to be the best, so look for something that mentions that

This is the one I use:

http://www.porta-charge.co.uk/accessory_0583.html

Sorry, I'm not very clued up on tom tom/gps. What exactly is SirfStar III?

In general will any gps receiver work with the Touch Plus/Dual? Or do I have to find one that says it is specifically compatible with this handset?

Guest tightscot
Sorry, I'm not very clued up on tom tom/gps. What exactly is SirfStar III?

In general will any gps receiver work with the Touch Plus/Dual? Or do I have to find one that says it is specifically compatible with this handset?

My understanding is that the SirfStar III is the chipset/antenna - basically it uses less power and has excellent reception.

On my touch dual i use Co-Pilot 7, with the co-pilot GPS unit - this is a SirfStar III unit. It's fantastic, locks on in seconds, and can be used as a total replacement for my old tom tom car unit.

I use a Brodit pro clip and Herbert Richter mount kit for in car use, and its superb.

Guest Zach2k
My understanding is that the SirfStar III is the chipset/antenna - basically it uses less power and has excellent reception.

On my touch dual i use Co-Pilot 7, with the co-pilot GPS unit - this is a SirfStar III unit. It's fantastic, locks on in seconds, and can be used as a total replacement for my old tom tom car unit.

I use a Brodit pro clip and Herbert Richter mount kit for in car use, and its superb.

Am I right in saying that if I'm using the fone as a gps/tom tom device then I pretty much cant use other features on it at the same time? e.g. listen to music?

At first I thought it was a good (and cheaper) way of using the tomtom system but now I'm thinking I might get fone calls and wont be able to use my touch plus for music because tomtom will be working on it. Have you guys found this to be a problem?

Guest tightscot

when i'm using CoPilot 7 i can make and recieve calls using my bluetooth headset with no problems.

Very occasionally the phone may slow down a bit - ie screen takes a second to respond, but it's perfectly usable.

As for playing music whilst using the GPS, i only use the GPS whilst driving so i have my car stereo for music...

Guest robertmoir
Am I right in saying that if I'm using the fone as a gps/tom tom device then I pretty much cant use other features on it at the same time? e.g. listen to music?

At first I thought it was a good (and cheaper) way of using the tomtom system but now I'm thinking I might get fone calls and wont be able to use my touch plus for music because tomtom will be working on it. Have you guys found this to be a problem?

You can certainly get calls while running TomTom. As for listening to music, I've never even tried - a large part of the benefits of TomTom (and similar products) are the spoken directions and audio warnings; even if your device has the power to play music and run tomtom side by side without any issues you'll find that each diminishes the enjoyment of the other imho.

Back when I had a hermes, I used this bluetooth adapter: http://svp.co.uk/product/sumvision_bluetoo...on_tomtom)_4313

It isn't the cheapest I've seen but it works really well, lasts a long time on a charge, works with every single GPS app I've ever thrown at it and it's a Sirfstar III chipset based device too. As you can see from the pix on that page, it's small enough to chuck into a pocket and forget about if you're going hiking or suchlike.

Money well spent - I've got a Kaiser now with the built in GPS but I'd definitely buy one of these again if I needed to.