HTC TyTN II Is Pants

Guest Bainsyboy

Guest Bainsyboy

Heres a copy of the email I have just sent Orange Uk regarding my brand new brick

This is my second HTC TyTN II and personally I do not think the phone is fit for purpose, I cannot believe you have agreed to stock this phone ? Its slow in nigh on everything it does, its unresponsive when it is hooked up to my computer via active sync and I have to soft reset this device about 4 times a day which was the same with the phone that this one replaced.

After being a customer with orange since you took over hutchinson telecom I feel thouroughly let down. Try searching the internet ( which I wish I had done before getting this brick ) to see just how bad the HTC TyTN II phone is.

Anyway anyone looking at this phone after having two of them within the space of a month I would say STEER well clear

Guest Shaftypants

Well I love mine :D Try heading over to XDA developers and upgrading your ROM etc. You may find thing a little more zippy without all the unnecessary bulk thats on there.

Guest FlangeArtist
Heres a copy of the email I have just sent Orange Uk regarding my brand new brick

This is my second HTC TyTN II and personally I do not think the phone is fit for purpose, I cannot believe you have agreed to stock this phone ? Its slow in nigh on everything it does, its unresponsive when it is hooked up to my computer via active sync and I have to soft reset this device about 4 times a day which was the same with the phone that this one replaced.

After being a customer with orange since you took over hutchinson telecom I feel thouroughly let down. Try searching the internet ( which I wish I had done before getting this brick ) to see just how bad the HTC TyTN II phone is.

Anyway anyone looking at this phone after having two of them within the space of a month I would say STEER well clear

Zero problems here too. Love my TyTN II, and I believe that it delivers exactly what it says on the tin!

Guest oldg1t

Mine is fine too. No Rom upgrades although tempted (new is better right?) couldnt face reinstalling all my software.

Guest shootydogthing

mine is... brilliant, running the stock T-mobile ROM. orange do tend to put bloatware on theirs though. I would suggest a reflash, I've been tempted by the 6.1 ROM floating around

Guest Bainsyboy

Cheers for the replies, If I knew how to change the ROM etc then i would definately give it ago but for a phone straight out of the box on orange the tytn II doesnt seem to do as it advertised to do, Can any of you play video on your phones ? i keep seeing people mention coreplayer but seeming as they do not offer a free trial i will not be going down that route only to be left dissapointed. I even bought a 8GB sandisk memory card from mobymemory so that i had something to watch when bored.

My old orange spv m600 could play videoes without any hitches whatsoever yet the tytn struggles big time even with the faster processor. Everything just seems to be so slow on this new unit, I will probably try a hard reset and just install programmes one at a time to see how i get on and to see if anything is slowing it down, The phone starts the day off fine but as the day goes on it just seems to slow down, even when i check what is running on it and the task manager shows that theres nowt running i have this problem.

Oh well will have to see what happens

I have Fizz traveller, calendar plus and fizz task manger running on it, I did use Kaiser tweak to get rid of some of the annoying features like not being able to input my bank card details on the keypad due to the screen switching off. So gord knows why im struggling.

Edited by Bainsyboy

Guest Yammeh

I've had my phone for about a week and it ran fine from stock (albeit from Vodafone and not Orange). I've flashed with TLR's firmware and it's made it a bit more responsive, but I never had any issues with the stock firmware.. maybe it's just something Orange have done to their firmware to make it slow and unresponsive?

Guest Restorer
Can any of you play video on your phones ? i keep seeing people mention coreplayer but seeming as they do not offer a free trial i will not be going down that route only to be left dissapointed.

The free version of coreplayer called TCPMP (v.72RC1) works just fine although you will need to convert files first to 320x240 - only takes 10 minutes or so per hour of divx/xvid using PocketDivxConverter (also free). I recently bought the latest version of Coreplayer mainly for its Youtube plugin. I have not been disappointed.

Guest Bainsyboy
same here, no complaints....have faith

Yes is there anyway of stopping that stuff from loading ? I wouldnt know how to do the rom upgrade etc but the amount of orange stuff that gets loaded cant be helping it speed wise.

Dont get me wrong its a good looking phone in my eyes but if im typing a text message and its on one of its go slow periods i can hit a key and the text will not appear for about 3 to 4 seconds so the qwerty keypad is nigh on useless when this happens

Edited by Bainsyboy

Guest shootydogthing
Yes is there anyway of stopping that stuff from loading ? I wouldnt know how to do the rom upgrade etc but the amount of orange stuff that gets loaded cant be helping it speed wise.

Dont get me wrong its a good looking phone in my eyes but if im typing a text message and its on one of its go slow periods i can hit a key and the text will not appear for about 3 to 4 seconds so the qwerty keypad is nigh on useless when this happens

Do a hard reset, then when it says "Customization will occur in 3 seconds" or whatever it is (it's something like that) do a soft reset, and bobs your uncle. No customization

Guest Bainsyboy
Do a hard reset, then when it says "Customization will occur in 3 seconds" or whatever it is (it's something like that) do a soft reset, and bobs your uncle. No customization

Shootydogthing, I quoted the wrong post above but cheers for the reply i will give that ago, unfortunately though i have spoken to oraange uk tonight and told them how dissapointed i am with the phone after being such a loyal customer to them, cut along story short they will be collecting the phone within 14 days and i can then choose another model, Im definately going to give your advice ago though because when it works I think the phone is brilliant and looks dead good, i would still be a bit diassapointed regarding the video issue but mainly want something to surf internet with, If i can get this one to work i would have no hesitation in keeping it.

Just as a quick add on when i was on the phone to orange I noticed that the bl--dy thing wasnt charging so removed battery and trying again now that im home.

Does anyone want to buy my lottery numbers for tomorrow :D

Edited by Bainsyboy

Guest Bainsyboy

Cheers i definately want to keep it as its ideal for what i want it for, but i just cant put up with it the way it is for 18 more months, im removing all my programmes now so will see how i get on.

Once again thanks for the help

Guest Yammeh
I wouldnt know how to do the rom upgrade etc but the amount of orange stuff that gets loaded cant be helping it speed wise.

Why wouldn't you know? Flashing the rom is dead easy and I'm sure one of the members (I can if you want) will go through it with you. It takes about 5 minutes max and the difference is phenomenal. Let me know if you want me to go through it in a PM.

Guest Bainsyboy
Why wouldn't you know? Flashing the rom is dead easy and I'm sure one of the members (I can if you want) will go through it with you. It takes about 5 minutes max and the difference is phenomenal. Let me know if you want me to go through it in a PM.

Could i revert back though if i needed to do, I even finally had my martin fields screen protector turn up this morning for it first time i have bought one because i never really been bothered to protect a phone.

Im apprenhensiver to flash the rom as i dont want to completly brick it, i have looked at xda developers and this site but i read some of the stuff and it just baffles me, i was going to see if i could flash my ornage m600 first but seeming as i may revert back to that im not sure i want to risk it.

If you could PM an idiots guide it would be really appreciated, I removed the orange stuff as per shootys advice ( cheers for that ) but my m600 still opens stuff quicker with the same programmes installed. Would the speed improve if i flash the kaiser, im not knocking the kaiser as when it works at top speed im more than impressed and i would more than happy to keep it even though im peed off regarding the video playback issue as i now have a 8gb card in it but cant fill it up.

The only programme taht i have not installed on the kaiser is the kaiser tweak ( gord knows how im going to get on when i have to call my bank or orange though and input my details when teh screen switches off.

Anyway thanks again to people on here with hints and tips so far and hopefully with your help i can get this phone to start performing

Quick aad on, Its still slow when hooked up via active sync but not as unresponsive as it was before

Edited by Bainsyboy

Guest jimbouk

1) Either use kaisertweak to stop the screen switching off during calls... or radically you could just hit the power button when you need the screen on...

2) Flashing a rom is as simple as abc... as long as you read up on the procedure, flash the correct spl and choose the right rom.

Also - try putting it in vibrate mode - its a lot quicker with sounds off.

Guest Bainsyboy

Well it nearly lasted the day without a soft reset some programmes took about 10 seconds to open, does anyone reckon flashing it will make that much better because at the moment i reckon i would be better off going back to my old phone and just waiting for something else to come out, not sure if that would be a htc as i cannot even play mms messages without it looking awful, the m600 ( im sure thats a htc phone as well though ) plays everything smoothly but this just seems to stumble at every hurdle.

Edited by Bainsyboy

Guest robertmoir
Well it nearly lasted the day without a soft reset some programmes took about 10 seconds to open, does anyone reckon flashing it will make that much better because at the moment i reckon i would be better off going back to my old phone and just waiting for something else to come out, not sure if that would be a htc as i cannot even play mms messages without it looking awful, the m600 ( im sure thats a htc phone as well though ) plays everything smoothly but this just seems to stumble at every hurdle.

Flashing might help but if you're unsure about the process behind that then I'm reluctant to advise it myself.

Not that it's likely to fail: It isn't likely at all. I've flashed dozens of phones and the only problem I've had was with upgrading a T-Mobile TyTN at work from the T-Mobile install of Windows Mobile v5 to WM v6 and that was traced by T-Mob to a h/w issue with the phone itself, not the rom or the process I used.

However it's a big change to your phone and there is a small risk and you need to make the decision with that risk in mind.

I don't want to sound like I doubt you and your experiences but they sound completely different to my TyTN II experiences. Mine (HTC brand, not an operator branded phone) seems very fast and reliable indeed, an improvement over the TyTN I upgraded from in every way - and that was quite a fully featured phone to begin with. I wonder if something Orange load onto it is causing you problems or if you might have installed an App designed for an older version of Windows Mobile that might be doing something subtle to your phone.

Edited by robertmoir

Guest Bainsyboy

Cheers Robert, the phone starts the day off ok and im impressed with the battery performance, Its now charging as it had even stopped doing that the other night but after a few hours i have to soft reset it, no hardship i know but not something i would expect with the spec the kaiser has.

My list of programmes installed on the phone are

Cartystudios, inc Registry tweaker ( i now know theres a free programme, but hey ho )

Efficasoft GPRS traffic monitor

Airscanner anti virus ( not the one with the background scanner as that used to slow my previous phone to a crawl and that was the only time it ran at the same speed as my kaiser )

Moblion Magicall

Karrier Inteligolf

Spb back up

Celeris Virtual pool mobile

Microsoft voice command UK PPC

Fizz software bill now

MohairSofa Calendar +

Windows live

Fizz Software fizz monitor

Fizz Software Traveller 3

Storage

Total 133.54mb

In use 31.32mb

Free 102.22mb

Program

Total 101.38mb

In use 38.91mb

Free 62.47mb

Storage card is sandisk 8GB bought from mobymemory ( i only bought it so i could store vids but my phone even struggles with MMS messages all blocky )

Toatal storage card memory is 7782.50mb

In use 561.66mb Free 7220.84

Anyway Im still seeing how i get on with it but overall after experienceing the same problems with both Kaisers i feel its a backwards upgrade and I cannot believe HTC are just letting people complain about the video and graphic performace without dealing with the issues as a good will gesture, I would be livid if i had paid for this phone but seeming as i got it for free im just seeing if i can live with it at the moment the answer is swaying more to the no side

Edited by Bainsyboy

Guest Bainsyboy

Quick update after removing the orange cwap like shootydog advised the only time my phone now seems to be really sluggish when im hooked upto active sync which does have a annoyance to sync every five minutes.

Anyway I will see how i get on with it but i must admit the video driver issue is shocking.

Guest pd.ryder

Bainsyboy - in my experience you'll do well to bin the GPRS Monitor. I had no end of problems with it installed - everything from slow & unresponsive applications to needing soft-resets every 5 minutes after it locked up over and over again. It was a similar experience with M:Panel from M:Metrics - another monitor of all things GPRS.

Give it a go and maybe save your sanity.

:D