Want to buy VGA smartphone, need advice

Guest fgianni

Guest fgianni

Hi All

I am in the market for a VGA smartphone, but can't decide on which one is best.

Any advice is gratefully received.

At the moment I am considering both the Toshiba G900 and the Glofiish M800, any reason to buy/not to buy any of them, are there better alternatives (the keyboard is a nice to have but not mandatory for me)

Thanks

Guest Appelsapinjeneus

I don't know that much about smartphones, I've got one myself though, but as far as I know an iPhone would be a nice option too, I'm switching to that because of having allot more options with it and to get rid of Windows Mobile to be honest, I really dislike all the slow loadings and crashing if doing multiple handlings at the same time. You could take a look and browse around the internet about how much you can actually do with an iPhone. And for the looks, which are also important if I may be really honest, I would go for the iPhone too.

Feel free to correct me if I said anything wrong.

David.

I don't know that much about smartphones, I've got one myself though, but as far as I know an iPhone would be a nice option too, I'm switching to that because of having allot more options with it and to get rid of Windows Mobile to be honest, I really dislike all the slow loadings and crashing if doing multiple handlings at the same time. You could take a look and browse around the internet about how much you can actually do with an iPhone. And for the looks, which are also important if I may be really honest, I would go for the iPhone too.

Feel free to correct me if I said anything wrong.

David.

You could get an iPhone - which in some ways is a nice device. However, not as functional as a Windows Mobile device - no 3G for starters. You're restricted as to what software is available for the iPhone too - not very much and certainly not much freeware if any (as Apple lock down their devices). The camera is poor, has no flash and doesn't record video. You can't remove/replace the battery and there's no hardware keyboard or keypad. Expensive and tied to a long term contract with a mobile carrier. The list goes on! :D

As far as your options for VGA smartphones go, I'd avoid the Toshiba G900 - there are some serious issue with that particular device that have not been resolved. The M800 I have no experience of - could be worth checking out some reviews. One thing to note is that although the device is VGA, it does not display in 'Real VGA' mode - the space you have on the desktop, icons and text display the same size as a qVGA device - they simply look crisper due to the higher resolution.

Another alternative you mau want to consider is the Asus P750 which is another VGA Pocket PC. The advantage of this device is that it has a hardware keypad plus there is a ROM fix that can be applied to the device so it will display in 'Real VGA' 640x480. Modaco regular Nedge has one of his regular 'ask nedge' threads where you can ask questions about the P750. You can find it here