Editing Registry on M700 from Orange

Guest Steven Atkinson

Guest Steven Atkinson

Just got a SPV M700 - great device but wanted to make it better by using the GPS functionality.

Trying to figure out how to do this is more difficult than I imagined (unless I am missing something).

I have found that I need to change some regisrty keys to enable this - i am using Mobile Registry Editor - when I make a change i get a message saying access denied.

I have found other posts with people having the same issue - but there are no solutions...

Is it possible to do something with this phone so that I can enable the GPS device - or do I need to go down the upgrading ROM's route - which I dont really want to do as this is a company phone.

So come on guys - is it possible to do something to the phone so i can edit the registry?

Guest Neil5459

Steven- you DO NOT need to do anything to enable the GPS on the Orange SPV M700, unless someone has flashed it with a very early Radio ROM.

Did you get yours via Orange or from Ebay etc? Which program are you trying to use with it? Although the M700 has GPS within the chipset, it doesn't came with any GPS or Sat Nav software.

Look in Start/Settings/System/Device Information and let us know which ROM version, and particularly which Radio version is installed.

Some people have used an unlocking program to SIM Unlock the M700, but this installs a non-GPS Radio ROM; if that's the case, you will need to reflash with a GPS enabled ROM, which we can advise on.

Once you have a GPS Program on the device, you should simply be able to point it at the GPS Port (COM9) at 57600 Baud, and within about 10-15 minutes (for a 'Cold' fix) you should have a stable postion, as long as you are outside with a clear view of the sky. Unfortunatley the M700 doesn't have a flashing LED to show GPS is working.

All ther early posts about needing registry hacks refer to the GPS Settings panel, not the GPS receiver itself; the settings are fine by default, so the control panel isn't needed unless you need to make changes.to the default settigns

Guest Steven Atkinson

Thanks for the quick response...

I got the phone through work so it's not been messed with in anyway.

The ROM version is 1.23.61.5.

I was trying to install some GPS software which I found on the web (it was a free one that simply showed how many satallites you are connected to in a GUI).

The problem was that I got an error when I tried to install the program saying that I can not install software that is not signed - this is when i started investigating how I install unsigned software - and this I believe can be done by changing the registry - which then led me to the next issue that I could not edit the registry.

So can you amend the registry to install unsigned apps? or will this require a ROM update (which I dont really want to do...)

Regards

Guest Neil5459

Ah- OK, I took your original query to mean you were trying to change the GPS settings in the registry!

Anyway- the Orange SPV M700 isn't application locked to my knowledge, so I don't know why you are getting the 'unsigned' error- generally you should get an 'Unsigned' worning, but still be able to proceed to install.

Are you sure your company hasn't modified the device to lock it against unauthorised program installation? As you are unable to edit the registry either, it might seem that way.

Have you tried a full hard reset (ie back to factory settings) ? This will erase anything you have stored or installed, but may be worth it. For that matter, have you tried a soft reset (push stylus into hole at base?)

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I no longer use the SPV M700 :D

Guest Steven Atkinson

Thanks for your help - I did a factory reset and it works like you say - my company must lock the device down. I will see if i can install what i need on the device before I install the company apps again.

Again, many thanks.

Guest Steven Atkinson

Another question...

After I reset the device to factory defaults - I am able to install unsigned applications (it just gives me a warning)...

However, I am still not able to edit the registry - I get access denied - can anyone help?

Regards