HTC Shift - VPN Connection Issues.

Guest ExtremeNeo

Guest ExtremeNeo

Hello All,

I wonder is any of you guys could help me, I have contacted HTC first line, second line, third line Support and no one seems to have an answer.

My connection never drops out on SnapVue, at present it is showing H four bars, if I switch to Windows Vista the connection is up and running, internet browsing is fine etc. If I connect to my VPN it keeps dropping the connection within Windows Vista, it seems to last for 1-2 minutes before dropping out, while the connection is out if I switch to SnapVue I have full signal and can sychronise email etc. Switch back to Vista the connection is still out, then suddenly appears again. It will not drop again if not connecting to a VPN, but if you do connect the same thing happens, I thought it maybe an issuse with the VPN tunnel so I removed the SIM card closed all connections, inserted the SIM into a Vodafone datacard, connect to VPN and everything works fine and the VPN running for 7 hours to test not one drop out......

I am at the pull your hair out stage, all HTC support say is reset to factory settings as the drivers for the network card have not installed correctly, but I do not feel this is right, can any one help me??

They don't seem to know what they are doing, I know it is a new product but, HTC support :D

Guest yrreP

Maybe try to MSCONFIG all start up applications.. see if it is something software orientated casuing the issue? Then a hard reset may be justified..

Guest nullpunkt

hi there,

i had the same problem.

try as follows:

vpn-connection->properties->network

now you see the ipv4 and the ipv6. i did the changes to both entries.

so: ipv4->settings->advanced

here you can see a checkbox. there's written something like

'use local gateway for remote'.

uncheck this box in ipv4 and ipv6 and maybe it will work.

first i got just local connection but then i tried to connect to inet and it worked fine.

sorry about my bad englisch, i'm swiss.

have a nice day

nullpunkt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PDAMerlin
If I connect to my VPN it keeps dropping the connection within Windows Vista, it seems to last for 1-2 minutes before dropping out, while the connection is out if I switch to SnapVue I have full signal and can sychronise email etc. Switch back to Vista the connection is still out, then suddenly appears again.

This maynot be related - I get my Shift tomorrow, so will be able to tell you for sure - but I had problems connecting to my VPN with Vista from a laptop over 3G and saw exactly the same kind of drop outs.

It turns out that O2 where using a private IP address range that was the same as our local LAN. The default subnet mask they used was far too large and caused the PC to get "mixed up" when routing traffic between the VPN and the internet (non-VPN).

The fix was to get O2 to give me an APN for 3G that gave public IP addresses.

If this happens on my Shift, which I think it will, I will be a little annoyed, but will post here and let you know!

PDAMerlin

Guest ExtremeNeo

Hi PDAMerlin,

I think this is the answer my internal network is 192.168.0.x & my Vodafone SIM is showing an IP address of 192.168.160.1, any ideas how I can get Vodafone to change this???

This maynot be related - I get my Shift tomorrow, so will be able to tell you for sure - but I had problems connecting to my VPN with Vista from a laptop over 3G and saw exactly the same kind of drop outs.

It turns out that O2 where using a private IP address range that was the same as our local LAN. The default subnet mask they used was far too large and caused the PC to get "mixed up" when routing traffic between the VPN and the internet (non-VPN).

The fix was to get O2 to give me an APN for 3G that gave public IP addresses.

If this happens on my Shift, which I think it will, I will be a little annoyed, but will post here and let you know!

PDAMerlin

Guest PDAMerlin
I think this is the answer my internal network is 192.168.0.x & my Vodafone SIM is showing an IP address of 192.168.160.1, any ideas how I can get Vodafone to change this???

Hi.

Sorry, no idea. To confirm, if you run open a command prompt when conencted and type

ROUTE PRINT

then post the output here (or PM) I will have a look and see if it looks like the same problem i had with O2.

Merlin

Guest PDAMerlin

Evening all.

I am now getting exactly the same issue using O2. WM side works fine, Vista side works fine until I connect a pptp vpn. It stays up for a few seconds then the network connection drops (and also the network card disappears in Manage Network connections).

disconnect the VPN, wait 10 seconds and 3G comes back up and browsing works!

It's a bug somewhere...HELP!!

PDAMerlin

Guest ExtremeNeo

Dear All,

I have just been told by my reseller, the HTC Shift cannot handle VPN traffic using the internal network card, I don't know how true this is, but if it is HTC will be getting it back!!!!!

I will update you...

Evening all.

I am now getting exactly the same issue using O2. WM side works fine, Vista side works fine until I connect a pptp vpn. It stays up for a few seconds then the network connection drops (and also the network card disappears in Manage Network connections).

disconnect the VPN, wait 10 seconds and 3G comes back up and browsing works!

It's a bug somewhere...HELP!!

PDAMerlin

Guest ExtremeNeo

Does anyone have a resolution, this is driving me mad :D

Dear All,

I have just been told by my reseller, the HTC Shift cannot handle VPN traffic using the internal network card, I don't know how true this is, but if it is HTC will be getting it back!!!!!

I will update you...

Guest PDAMerlin

I don't suppose there are any updates to this? Just noticed today I can't even put a VPN up over WiFI. The only way it works is if I plug in the USB hub and use a cable!

Merlin

Guest ExtremeNeo

Dear All,

I have the resolution to this issue, I am just testing but seems to work fine, I will update once I have run some more tests.

With kind regards,

Ross.

Guest niekvk
Dear All,

I have the resolution to this issue, I am just testing but seems to work fine, I will update once I have run some more tests.

With kind regards,

Ross.

hello,

"nice" to hear that there are people with the same problem.

extremeneo, if you have the solution, please put it online because i'd like to setup this device properly for my boss and this is the only possible solution i can think of...

Guest pr0fi
hello,

"nice" to hear that there are people with the same problem.

extremeneo, if you have the solution, please put it online because i'd like to setup this device properly for my boss and this is the only possible solution i can think of...

Hey All,

I am also atm on the way to go crasy... 2days I tryed to find out what the Connection problem in combination 3G+MS PPTP+128bitenc is about or how to fix it...

Like some of u guys told, that everything is working fine for them, others have the same Prob like I.

Prob in detail: Internet via 3g works after WM6 is setuped some min l8ter Vista got the NDIS eth. and I can surf the web.

But when I start the VPN (PPTP) connection there are 2 ways:

Without any changes in the VPN IP4 -> VPN connects, all fine, i can ping the server in the VPN Network and i would be very happy if the Connection would stay alive, but after some seconds ~10 -max 25 sec. the ping is gone, on the windows side I see that NDIS is gone and the VPN con. is still up and timeouts some moments l8ter... again some min l8ter the NDIS is back again and i am online... if I connect the VPN again, the same starte again like discriped above....

The other way, if I remove the mark in the IP4 extende options VPN Con -> Network -> IP4 -> extendent ->'use default gateway on remote network' 

both keeps alive, and internet is working fine, but i got no ping and communication through the vpn...

I need a solution, or the HTC is useless for us tbh...

Thx for some help at this point already!

greetz

profi aka seb

Edited by pr0fi

Guest wills

I got the shift and have exactly the same issues as you guys. This is the response I got back from HTC:

"Can you please telephone us in regard to your Shift VPN problems? This issue is far to complicated to troubleshoot using email.

We are getting very, very few reports about VPN failure on the Shift, and we really like to speak to customers who are facing this issue so we can investigate further."

I guess we all better start calling them as it seems not a lot of htc shift users are having problems...

Edited by wills

Guest ExtremeNeo

Dear All,

This is the only resolution at present I am aware of, please note this solution is for Vodafone UK only, You can get the HTC Shift device to work perfectly using a VPN connection but you do lose some functionality.

All you need to do is create a new connection within SnapVue.

These are the steps to follow:

From SnapVue (non liberated)

Select "Settings"

Select "Connections"

Select "Manage Existing Connections"

You should have a connection named "Contract Internet" number "internet" DO NOT DELETE THIS.

Select New.

Enter a name for the connection, I entered my name as VPN.

Select a Modem "Cellular Line (GPRS,3G)"

Access Point Name "mylan"

User Name "mylan"

Password "mylan"

Domain "Leave Blank"

You don't need to add Advanced settings.

Click "Finish"

Once new connection is setup, click on connection and hold, then select connect. Then start up the Windows Vista operating system, then wait for the system to complete start up, and ensure connection using the SnapVue network sharing is connected, connect to your VPN, and all will work fine. I have had a VPN connected for 6 days using this method previously it would last no longer than 3 minutes.

The only issue with this is that SnapVue will lose all internet connectivity, as this connection is for VPN traffic only Vodafone will not allow internet connectivity through this type of connection, I am working on a resolve, and will update you all.

The main issue I think is the way SnapVue issues the IP addresses to the Internet Sharing for Vista.

For anyone who would like to help me resolve this issue all help would greatly received........

• 1 month later...
Guest aras
Dear All,

This is the only resolution at present I am aware of, please note this solution is for Vodafone UK only, You can get the HTC Shift device to work perfectly using a VPN connection but you do lose some functionality.

All you need to do is create a new connection within SnapVue.

These are the steps to follow:

From SnapVue (non liberated)

Select "Settings"

Select "Connections"

Select "Manage Existing Connections"

You should have a connection named "Contract Internet" number "internet" DO NOT DELETE THIS.

Select New.

Enter a name for the connection, I entered my name as VPN.

Select a Modem "Cellular Line (GPRS,3G)"

Access Point Name "mylan"

User Name "mylan"

Password "mylan"

Domain "Leave Blank"

You don't need to add Advanced settings.

Click "Finish"

Once new connection is setup, click on connection and hold, then select connect. Then start up the Windows Vista operating system, then wait for the system to complete start up, and ensure connection using the SnapVue network sharing is connected, connect to your VPN, and all will work fine. I have had a VPN connected for 6 days using this method previously it would last no longer than 3 minutes.

The only issue with this is that SnapVue will lose all internet connectivity, as this connection is for VPN traffic only Vodafone will not allow internet connectivity through this type of connection, I am working on a resolve, and will update you all.

The main issue I think is the way SnapVue issues the IP addresses to the Internet Sharing for Vista.

For anyone who would like to help me resolve this issue all help would greatly received........

Hi,

i have the same problem, only with KPN, Netherlands.

I have tried this solution, but whitout result...

does anybody have another solution?

thanx.

greets.

• 3 months later...
Guest steviemcr

Dear All,

I think I have a working solution. (at least it works for me on the vodafone proximus network in Belgium)

In Vista go to Network and sharing center,

Tap on "manage network connections"

Now rightclick on your 3G connection and choose "properties"

Be sure to check only the Qos packet scheduler and the TCP/IPv4

Leave the rest unchecked! and click "OK"

Now rightclick on your VPN connection and choose "properties"

select the TAB "Networking"

uncheck the TCP/IPv6 and leave the rest checked

Tap on TCP/IPv4 and click the "properties" button

Click "advanced" button

Uncheck the "Use default gateway on a remote network"

click "OK" x3