Best wvga phones...?

Guest fraktal

Guest fraktal

Thee was a time when there were only 15 or 20 WM phones (not smartphones) easily available, but now there's too many for me to keep track of! I have to upgrade my phone soon, and I'd like another WM phone.

I'm looking at getting a WVGA phone with a slide-out keyboard and wifi, ideally awesome-looking. Basically, an Xperia, but i know theres some Eten phones out there that are similar and at least one ill-fated samsung!

What's out there and easily available to someone in the UK, and fairly cheap (or available on contract)?

And which ones are the best?

Guest Confucious

Why on earth do you want wvga when nothing supports it? Aren't you just asking for trouble or do you have some specific need?

Guest Menneisyys
Why on earth do you want wvga when nothing supports it? Aren't you just asking for trouble or do you have some specific need?

Well, it's mostly games that don't support it - apps like browsers do. That is,if the OP isn't a gamer, he/she can find a WVGA device just great.

Guest fraktal
That is,if the OP isn't a gamer, he/she can find a WVGA device just great.

Hit the nail on the head. Of course, having never had a WVGA device, I don't know the scale of incompatibilities...surely anything that uses the typical CE display features will display fine - at worst, it'll display with the right-hand 160 pixels empty?

And, I don't play games on my device at all, really, aside from infrequently installing a SNES emulator, and if that didn't work I could live without it. I am more interested in having an awesome screen for watching videos on...and I figure a WVGA screen will contend with/beat an iPhone/PSP screen for that. Thanks for your replies btw.

Of course, next there's the issue of an awesome interface for launching videos/music...but that's for another topic methinks :D

Guest Confucious

Not being a gamer myself it doesn't matter to me, I was just thinking of the problems when QVGA devices came out then VGA and programs not working in those resolutions but, if most work and you can watch videos in WVGA it would be quite nice....

The X1 is looking very tempting - only problem is a: It's unlikely to be cheap and b: Due for launch in September which means we are unlikely to see it available before Christmas....

Edited by Confucious

Guest fraktal
only problem is a: It's unlikely to be cheap and b: Due for launch in September which means we are unlikely to see it available before Christmas....

Yeah. I know it's a sin to mention it around here, but there is a device which

• has an awesome screen;
  • a really slick interface for videos and music;
  • has an intuitive browser (on a par with Opera Mini, my current browser of choice)
  • is cheaper than the X1 will be.

I know it isn't as expandable as a WM device (although you can get 3rd-party apps nowadays) but I have been considering moving to the dark side...

Guest shootydogthing

Maybe cheaper than the X1, but not when networks as subsidizing the X1. Plus it's not WVGA, or even VGA...

Guest fraktal
Maybe cheaper than the X1, but not when networks as subsidizing the X1. Plus it's not WVGA, or even VGA...

Well, you can get one unlocked on Ebay for about £250. That's without any contract or anything. Buying one from O2 is expensive because you have to get the 16GB model for "just £329" and then pay £35 a month! Still, an XDA orbit 2 is £50 on a £35 contract, and when the X1 comes out I should think it will be at least £170 on a £35 contract.

Due for launch in September which means we are unlikely to see it available before Christmas....

Yar, hence this post! I don't want to wait that long!

Guest shootydogthing

precisely. The issue is that O2 don't subsidize it, making it more expensive than comparable phones, and even many better ones.

Guest Metoo
Not being a gamer myself it doesn't matter to me, I was just thinking of the problems when QVGA devices came out then VGA and programs not working in those resolutions but, if most work and you can watch videos in WVGA it would be quite nice....

The X1 is looking very tempting - only problem is a: It's unlikely to be cheap and b: Due for launch in September which means we are unlikely to see it available before Christmas....

I had a G900 and it pretty much worked on all my software fine with full screen support, except for TomTom. SatNav such as Garmin XT and CoPilot 7 didn't have any issues with the screen. Having the extra space was awesome, although sometimes the fonts were a bit small, but the high pixel density made that less of a problem than it would have been on lesser screens. I don't try any games apart from Solitaire :D After the stand-by of death issues were fixed with the 3.07BAI ROM fix, it was a solid performer.

The g900 went back for other reasons - the UI was very sluggish, and the 3G radio was deaf as a post, issues I could see were fundamental to the hardware and so never be fixed by Toshiba.

I see the "new" G910 is now in stock at Clove and Play.com - but unfortunately I suspect it will be the same old dog inside (although using Qualcomm 7200 to give GPS). Certainly not going to try it until I've seen some real user reviews.

I now use an i780 when I want a slim ultra-pocketable, do-everything, go-anywhere device - brilliant piece of hardware, fasted PPC I have ever used, the optical mouse works a treat (once you get used to it), and the extra screen resolution (especially in RealVGA 96dpi mode) is a way better than the 240x320 landscape you get in other "qwertybar" devices.

But if you need a bigger screen, I have to say the only real "powerhouse" smartphone that works well at every task at the moment is the E90 - it's the one I fallback to more and more when I have to do some serious work - despite the lack of touchscreen. Do all your quick tasks with it closed in like a normal (albeit hefty) numeric-keyed QVGA phone (important if you're out on the street), then flip it open when you want the wide screen and keyboard. You can't get a better combination than that.

Plus the camera/video recorder still totally wipes the floor with anything running WM. And this is on an 'E', not 'N', series device which isn't targetted at multimedia use!

Watch and weep HTC/i-mate:-

Edited by Metoo

Guest Marcuzzo

When you say that Tomtom doesn't support the WVGA resolution, do you mean that it doesn't work at all or that it works only utilizing part of the screen (640x480 pixels)?

Guest Metoo
When you say that Tomtom doesn't support the WVGA resolution, do you mean that it doesn't work at all or that it works only utilizing part of the screen (640x480 pixels)?

Anything later than TTN 6.000 corrupted the screen on the G900 giving flickering unreadable images. A clever soul at MyG900.com issued a utility (wvgafix) which would switch it to 640x480 mode so TTN 6.030 and other fussy porgrams would run - but by only using part of the screen.

As usual, TomTom's helpful response was "Your device is not on our supported list. Goodbye."

Edited by Metoo

Guest fraktal

Thanks, Metoo. I was sorely tempted by the G900 but I'm glad I resisted temptation now! As for the i780 - I don't know why, I just have an aversion to those blackberry-shape devices! I don't use TomTom anyway, I use(d) iGO and I shoudn't think that'll be a problem. I'm surprised there aren't more WVGA phones out/coming out though. I'd love a device with a huge, wide screen...

Guest Metoo
Thanks, Metoo. I was sorely tempted by the G900 but I'm glad I resisted temptation now! As for the i780 - I don't know why, I just have an aversion to those blackberry-shape devices! I don't use TomTom anyway, I use(d) iGO and I shoudn't think that'll be a problem. I'm surprised there aren't more WVGA phones out/coming out though. I'd love a device with a huge, wide screen...

In that case, I'm afraid to say, for the w i d e s c r e e n experience that will still fit in your pocket, by far and away the best option at the moment is still the Nokia E90. Toshiba's 3" WVGA screens are groundbreaking and great if you have the eyesight, and a world apart from other vendors' 2.6/2.8" VGA offerings. But on the E90 those 800 pixels get a whole inch more horizontal space to play with, which means you can use it for much longer without eyestrain. And of course you get the wide qwerty keyboard to match - and that expensive screen's out of harm's way until you need it (a big plus for the Universal and G910).

Its just a shame that the Communicators were dumbed down from Symbian S80 to S60, where the OS and most software is optimised for portrait QVGA (i.e. N series), so waste much of that space. That said, I've yet to find an app that doesn't give a wow factor when you open the case (although I don't do games). However, that move did vastly increase the Communicator software base as intended, and many "power user" PIM apps, such as Papyrus and Aquacalendar, are now specifically E90 aware so are optimised for the wide screen. Opera, Garmin XT (so neat just sat on the dash of the car with a friction mat) and Googlemaps too are awesome on the internal screen (both work with the E90's internal GPS, unlike Tom "your device is unsupported" Tom).

The big win with the E90, yet to be matched on any other smartphone, is that you can swap displays at will, and use _any_ app on either portrait front QVGA screen, phone style, or the big landscape wide screen, notebook style, on the fly, just by snapping the case open or shut. Now that's what I call having your cake and eating it!

Asus have given the E90 a nod by doing this on a smaller scale with the M930w (portrait QGVA on front, landsape WQVGA inside). If only Toshiba had been brave enough to do something similar on the G910. Still, I guess the rudimentary OLED on the front keeps the price down, and saves battery when you're just making/taking phone calls.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Confucious

Hmm..

Just been looking at the E90. Is this a device that could tempt me away from WinMo?

CoPilot are just releasing a Symbian version so that shouldn't be a problem.

How is the synching with Exchange? If it synchs as well as WM and I can still get my push email and contacts OK then it might just be a case of looking out on fleabay to find one cheap enough....

Guest Metoo
Hmm..

Just been looking at the E90. Is this a device that could tempt me away from WinMo?

CoPilot are just releasing a Symbian version so that shouldn't be a problem.

How is the synching with Exchange? If it synchs as well as WM and I can still get my push email and contacts OK then it might just be a case of looking out on fleabay to find one cheap enough....

Syncing to Outlook via the PC Suite isn't that hot. The main limitation is that the S60 PIM doesn't support Categories. But OTA sync to Exchange works a treat for mail, calendar and contacts, using the free MailForExchange add-in, leaving just notes and files to do direct to the PC. No touch screen of course, but you soon adapt to using hard keys and buttons instead.

If you tend to switch between devices and OS frequently as I do, Garmin XT is ideal, as it includes versions for Symbian, WM and PalmOS on one MicroSD. It also includes free OTA traffic updates. The downside is that the licence is tied to the serial number of the MicroSD, which is only 512MB for the UK version, so you can't copy it to something bigger (unless you have an external Garmin GPS receiver).

2nd hand prices are getting quite reasonable now (~£250 for good condition unlocked), and EU models are backed by Nokia's 2 year warranty. But if you're buying on eBay, check the seller carefully (e.g "stock" pictures, non-consistent feedback history or untypical of types of goods normally sold, suggesting a hijacked account), as being a "premium" phone it still attracts more than it's fair share of scammers.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Confucious

Thanks for the answer. Notes and files aren't that much of a problem for me and I don't use categories as much as I should so no deal breaker there. It would be strange going back to a non touchscreen device tho...

I have a good relationship with CoPilot so will stick with that - you've seen the posts on how to get Garmin XT to copy tho? Not read the posts myself but I believe it can be done.

Thanks for the advice on Fleabay - I buy quite a bit of stuff from there so am aware - but never hurts to be reminded and the price guide and Nokia warranty info are useful.

It is tempting....

Thanks again.

Guest Confucious

Well, I've just bought a refurbished one from Fleabay - hope it's not blacklisted! I should really have asked before I paid for it, shouldn't I?

Guest Metoo
Well, I've just bought a refurbished one from Fleabay - hope it's not blacklisted! I should really have asked before I paid for it, shouldn't I?

If they intend to scam you, they're not likely to tell you first! Biggest con is to report it stolen a couple of weeks after you've paid for it, so they've had time to clean out the Paypal account. I now only buy from sellers who have a full 90 day history of selling similar items without any negs.

Guest Confucious

Hmm... so I might get a couple of weeks usage - or it could be genuine.

I really should know better - but we'll see.

Guest Confucious

Well, it turned up today, looks as new. Great form factor. Put SIM in and connected to Internet straight away then got a text for the rest of the settings - all just worked. So far I'm impressed!

Guest Metoo
Well, it turned up today, looks as new. Great form factor. Put SIM in and connected to Internet straight away then got a text for the rest of the settings - all just worked. So far I'm impressed!

Cool. Just don't disappear forever into those dark Symbian forums!