Is it worth it?

Guest wills

Guest wills

I am thinking about getting a HTC shift to use on the train, but wanted to get thoughts from current owners before I make the purchase. I've read loads of reviews but still pondering...

1. If I stick a sim card in for data, what's the battery life from surfing in vista like?

2. Is the processor too slow to really use applications like word, excel and outlook in vista - does anyone code in .net on the device or would this be too much?

3. Does anyone use Onenote or evernote on the shift using the pen?

4. Has anyone installed XP instead of vista and is there any speed boost from doing so?

cheers

Guest blewer

Not that i've looked in to the shift much - I would say an Asus eeePC is the way to go for a mobile computer.

Although it may not cover all of your above requests

Just thought I would give you my opinion :D

Guest Hyrex

Hi!

0. check out this forum :D

1. around 2 hours

2. Office 2007: works fine

3. tried once, worked fine. Never used again since

4. it seems to work but there are some serious issues concerning the drivers (forum). Would be quite a performance boost.

For me, it's worth the money. The Eee PC is quite an alternative, but I wanted the all-in-one-with-touchscreen-thing :-)

Cheers, Hyrex

I am thinking about getting a HTC shift to use on the train, but wanted to get thoughts from current owners before I make the purchase. I've read loads of reviews but still pondering...

1. If I stick a sim card in for data, what's the battery life from surfing in vista like?

2. Is the processor too slow to really use applications like word, excel and outlook in vista - does anyone code in .net on the device or would this be too much?

3. Does anyone use Onenote or evernote on the shift using the pen?

4. Has anyone installed XP instead of vista and is there any speed boost from doing so?

cheers

Edited by Hyrex

Guest X5-RWK

The biggest drawback on the Shift is battery life. If you are looking to surf the web and do some work with "office" on the Shift, I would recommend that you do it in SnapView/WM mode. Once you liberate your Shift with the help of this forum, you can surf and use mobile office for hours on end. It is very easy and works great. You can litterally surf the web all day using the WM side and not kill the battery. I have the new Opera Mini installed and it works great. If you really need the Vista side, that does work quite well, you will only get 2 hours max of battery life. If you need more that 2 hours of continuous use without a chance to recharge then I would invest in some external batteries or invest in something else if that is what you need.

I have a plug-in charger at home and work, external battery for extended travel and have a vehicle charger on order.

Guest Hyrex

Hi X4-RWK,

which kind of opera browser do you use? i liberated my shift and installed JVM but no chance to get those java-apps to work :-(

Cheers, Hyrex

I have the new Opera Mini installed and it works great.