MWg launch in Europe, offer up Smartphone, WM7 + more roadmap

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
As well as going along to the HTC Diamond launch this week, I was in London to attend the European Launch of MWg, the Windows Mobile company formerly known as O2 Asia and now backed by well known device store eXpansys.

At the launch MWg announced their Atom V and Zinc II devices, as well as offering up their device roadmap for those in attendance.

I captured the Roadmap presentation on video (as you can see), but also took a still you can see below (after the jump for news page readers!). Particularly interesting points...

- MWg plan to make a Smartphone
- MWg plan to make a Shift-esque UMPC
- MWg plan to release a lot of devices
- MWg plan to release a WM7 device before the end of 2008!

If it's right (and let's be honest, the roadmap errs on the side of vague), that has to be VERY good news (and it'd be great to see another Smartphone released too)!

P

Well I hope their other handsets are an improvement on the Atom Life which just seems beset with problems - I know, I had one before I swiftly got shut of it via ebay! :D

Guest Syphon Filter

WM7? This year?

This is good news. Looks like choices are just getting better and better for me when I come upgrade!

HTC has to take this as the gauntlet being thrown down and respond in kind surely? Diamond/Titanium/Raphael + WM7...surely gotta be a good thing

Guest Metoo
WM7? This year?

This is good news. Looks like choices are just getting better and better for me when I come upgrade!

HTC has to take this as the gauntlet being thrown down and respond in kind surely? Diamond/Titanium/Raphael + WM7...surely gotta be a good thing

Might explain why Expansys' pricing on other brands like i-mate is going through the roof. Got to make their own stuff look competitive!

Guest Ovie

Check out the Vix, only 12.5 and it appears to have a QWERTY keyboard! Now that's what I'm talking about! I hope by then MWg have realised that 64mb RAM is not enough!!

Guest aktopshooter

This is very good that they are finally releasing new devices and WM7 is also a huge plus. But where is their promised WM6 for the XDA Flame 1? If they can not come through on their passed promises I don't think that I will purchase the new version. It has been on their site for months that the WM6 upgrade would be released. Inorder for them to recieve my money they need to release this upgrade for the device which is a great device IMHO.

Guest REem
- MWg plan to release a WM7 device before the end of 2008!

It seems to be the first half of 2009 according to the roadmap ?

Edited by REem

Guest shootydogthing

Hmm... Seems unlikely. But who knows, maybe they know something we don't.

And maybe that's why HTC are keeping the Titanium and Raphael back. They might be Wm7 based.

And possibly an upgrade for the Diamond would be available.

Guest Menneisyys

While, with all the problems and lack of support with the Flame, I'm pretty much wary of paying anything for Flame II, I'm certainly interested in the new model. Do they manage to beat the N95? Highly unlikely - but at least someone tries to come up with a multimedia-focussed device.

I only hope that, in addition to the key strengths of the N95, it also had DVB-T / H (and/or, for you non-Europeans, MediaFLO / T-DMB and the like.)

Guest Menneisyys
This is very good that they are finally releasing new devices and WM7 is also a huge plus. But where is their promised WM6 for the XDA Flame 1? If they can not come through on their passed promises I don't think that I will purchase the new version. It has been on their site for months that the WM6 upgrade would be released. Inorder for them to recieve my money they need to release this upgrade for the device which is a great device IMHO.

BTW, did you try the XDA-Devs cooked 6.1? I haven't really read the related threads so I don't know whether it's any good... given that the cooked 6.1 ROM's are very good on the other models I've tested, I bet it's cool too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.