Activesync 4.5 & XP SP3

Guest musclelondon

Guest musclelondon

heeeeeeeeelp.

Up until this morning my Vario III has been sync'ing very happily with my pc.... then I went and installed Windows XP SP3. Now it doesn't no matter what I do. I've uninstalled ActiveSync 3 times, rebooted more often than I care to think about, I've deleted the partnership from both the phone and the PC. The only thing I haven't done is hard reset the phone but I'm not doing that as the phone works fine at home so I'm sure SP3 is to blame.

I've looked around the net and can find no helpful advice other than a few other lost sould having the same problem (usually with SP3 beta).

Anyone else having this problem? Am I the only other idiot stupid enough to install SP3? (Oh and taking SP3 off didn't help either).

Guest pete_thomson
No problems with XP SP3 and AS 4.5 for me. What error does it show in the event logging on the phone?

Ditto - Been running SP3 for about 3 weeks with no issues

Guest musclelondon
Ditto - Been running SP3 for about 3 weeks with no issues

Sadly it's not very specific, just that it can't communicate and I should check the USB tick boxes to ensure I can communicate with the phone. All the settings are correct.

Ok, I'll bite the bullet at home and install SP3 and see what happens.

Guest scudo
heeeeeeeeelp.

Up until this morning my Vario III has been sync'ing very happily with my pc.... then I went and installed Windows XP SP3. Now it doesn't no matter what I do.

Hello

It could be that SP3 has activated the built-in firewall on the pc to phone connection.

have a look to control panel / network and search for the phone connection (while the phone is connnected to pc), to see if this is ok (tcpip enabled, and firewall disabled).

Guest musclelondon
Hello

It could be that SP3 has activated the built-in firewall on the pc to phone connection.

have a look to control panel / network and search for the phone connection (while the phone is connnected to pc), to see if this is ok (tcpip enabled, and firewall disabled).

Right, the phone is ok at home with SP3 installed so I'll have to check at work again on Monday. SP3 should not have activated the firewall as our PC's firewalls are switched off in group policy, but.......

Anyway, I'll check Monday, will give me something to do other than work :D

Guest musclelondon

Right.... all fixed but no idea why. I bit the bullet at flashed my Vario to WM6.1 over the weekend and although ActiveSync still didn't work when I connected to my work PC, as soon as I flicked the toggle on USB to PC so that the Advanced Features were Off, everything burst into life. Just to prove the point, I flicked the features back on and instantly the connection was lost.

Anyone got any ideas why and what I've lost by not having those features, can't see that I've noticed any difference, Pocket Controller works fine.

Guest musclelondon

Oh sh**. That lasted a day and now back to the way things were. If I have the advanced USB features off ActiveSync connects but SOTI RemoteControl Pro doesn't and if I switch the advanced features on, nothing works and ActiveSync on the phone itself doesn't register any error messages.... atleast not under Status in ActiveSync.

If anyone has any ideas they will be very greatly received as I really don't want to have to rebuild my work PC........

Guest scudo
Oh sh**. That lasted a day and now back to the way things were. If I have the advanced USB features off ActiveSync connects but SOTI RemoteControl Pro doesn't and if I switch the advanced features on, nothing works and ActiveSync on the phone itself doesn't register any error messages.... atleast not under Status in ActiveSync.

If anyone has any ideas they will be very greatly received as I really don't want to have to rebuild my work PC........

disabling usb advance features make activesync works like A/S 3x, in serial emulation mode instead of networking mode.

that's why you don't have all apps working.

if you want to use the advanced features, you need to check all the network part of the connection, like I suggested before (firewall, tcpip...)

verify if you can ping the phone while connected, from the computer, type in command prompt :

ping 169.254.2.1

you should have some replies from device.

Guest musclelondon

Sadly, even though it was connected and I could explore the device, it wouldn't ping. However, now completely fixed. I found a few error messages in Event Viewer on the PC for Windows Desktop Search and although I couldn't see a connection I uninstalled WDS and hey presto, suddenly everything is back to normal. Re installed WDS and everything stayed working.

I don't understand why it fixed the problem but it did and hopefully this time it stays fixed.