3G has turned H

Guest nevawlkalone

Guest weeerob
How come the 3G icon on my kaisers title bar is now an H in places where i have full 3G signal????

Mine has started doing that in the last couple of days too. I wondered if it had anything to do with HSDPA getting enabled or becoming available but I thought that it was supposed to be 3G then become U when you connected where as mine is just doing H instead of 3G which sounds like yours is doing the same thing.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
How come the 3G icon on my kaisers title bar is now an H in places where i have full 3G signal????

Isn't 'H' better than '3G' anyway?

M.S

Guest nevawlkalone
Isn't 'H' better than '3G' anyway?

M.S

Yeah HSDPA is quicker that 3G but i just didnt think that it would replace the 3G icon in my title bar...just happened randomly when i got into work (manchester) and as my signal at home is somewhat crap at home i wondered why it had happened! lol

Guest Incendiary

This happened to me also (T-mobile UK).

The H (with connection arrows) only used to display when I actually had an open connection. At other times, is was just the 3G. Now, I get the H, even when I don't have an active data connection. Interesting!

Guest nevawlkalone

It varies between 3G an H depending on where i am in the North West (its as far as i venture :D ) and how many bars of signal i have! My data speed doesnt seem any quicker though!

• 1 month later...
Guest aries6776
It varies between 3G an H depending on where i am in the North West (its as far as i venture :D ) and how many bars of signal i have! My data speed doesnt seem any quicker though!

I noticed this too. Before the only place I could get H was in central london. Now I am encountering loads of places! T-mobile must have had a big HSDPA roll out. Strange they didn't announce this.

Guest chucky.egg

I've been at the hospital a few times recently (our 3rd kid was born yesterday!) and get a strong H signal, but at home I get a patchy G

The thing that gets me is that it's so variable. I keep thinking "in this day and age" it should be more consistent (I don't know why that should be the case, but that's how I feel about it!)

I'm even looking at indoor signal boosters, but at £350 and with WiFi I'm holding off for now

Guest Packmoor Warrior

This is something that has puzzled me for a long time; I have never had the elusive H but get 3G at home although when I run my laptop through my phone I am getting 1.0 to 1.4 Meg, but still no H showing.

More concerning to me is at work I use to get 3G, around the 1 meg speed, but the cell apparently got struck by lightening, set on fire or something, and now I don’t even get GPRS, which is a pain as its at work I use my phone as a modem most, its been down for 3 months and t-mobile still cant give me an idea as to how much longer it will be.

It would be nice to see the H but it would be nicer to get 3G at work.

Guest Shadowfixeruk
I've been at the hospital a few times recently (our 3rd kid was born yesterday!) ....

Congratulations ...

Its impressive that you still have time to post :D

SF

Guest Paul (MVP)
I've been at the hospital a few times recently (our 3rd kid was born yesterday!) and get a strong H signal, but at home I get a patchy G

The thing that gets me is that it's so variable. I keep thinking "in this day and age" it should be more consistent (I don't know why that should be the case, but that's how I feel about it!)

I'm even looking at indoor signal boosters, but at £350 and with WiFi I'm holding off for now

CONGRATS! :D

P

Guest chucky.egg
CONGRATS! :D

Thanks folks

She's just come home this afternoon, so will either have lots MORE time for posting or none at all over the next few days.

No poll to choose a name this time - the wife chose "Thea"

I'd take a femtocell, but I'm wondering what the business model will be, and specifically whether I'll be charged to improve Vodafone's coverage for them.

I'm not worried about the effects so much - I have WiFi, Bluetooth devices, DECT handsets, baby monitors (dont know what they run on).

Guest Fozza
Thanks folks

She's just come home this afternoon, so will either have lots MORE time for posting or none at all over the next few days.

No poll to choose a name this time - the wife chose "Thea"

I'd take a femtocell, but I'm wondering what the business model will be, and specifically whether I'll be charged to improve Vodafone's coverage for them.

I'm not worried about the effects so much - I have WiFi, Bluetooth devices, DECT handsets, baby monitors (dont know what they run on).

I travel the country and switch between 3G and H normal H in big cities.

However I doubt I will actually be getting H as I am on T Mobile Pay as You Go . And sign up for the £2.50 5 days unlimited web n walk.

as far as I know you have to be a pay monthly customer to get HSDPA.

Has this changed?

Guest modinside

Hi folks,

My Tytn II states 3g most times then other times 3g+

Is the 3g+ the same as HSDPA ?

Edit: Sorry forgot to add I'm on Vodafone UK

Edited by modinside

Guest shirozina
Hi folks,

My Tytn II states 3g most times then other times 3g+

Is the 3g+ the same as HSDPA ?

Edit: Sorry forgot to add I'm on Vodafone UK

I'm on Vodafone and I've just upgraded to WM6.1 and the H symbol has been replaced with 3G+ at the top of the screen so I guess it's the same as HSDPA.

Guest chucky.egg
I'm on Vodafone and I've just upgraded to WM6.1 and the H symbol has been replaced with 3G+

I'm on UK Voda with a WM6.1 HTC Tytn II, and I get "H" or "3G", I've never seen a "3G+"

Guest Confucious

Whether it display H, U 3G or 3G+ depends on the ROM.

T-Mobile's HSDPA coverage is pretty much the same as it's 3G coverage or so I believe - I thought Voda's wasn't to bad either but I could be wrong.

Only just seen this threat so I'll say congrats now Chucky - are you stopping at 3? 1 to many in my opinion :D

Good luck, hope The missus and kids are doing OK.