The offical HP 614c 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest micaels
Some camera samples please ...

I could take some when I come home (don't have acess to the phone currently). Is there any specific pictures you want?

Here's a few examples of the 614c's camera:

post-101150-1212401011_thumb.jpg

Outdoors, Daylight, No Flash

post-101150-1212401037_thumb.jpg

Outdoors, Daylight, No Flash

post-101150-1212401055_thumb.jpg

Indoors, Daylight, No Flash

post-101150-1212400994_thumb.jpg

Indoors, Low Light, With Flash

As you can see, the camera is perfectly serviceable outdoors in daylight. As with almost every WinMo device though, the camera shows it's weakness indoors and mainly in poor light. The closeup of the parrot was taken in daylight without flash indoors and while it isn't bad, it's not great either. It really starts to fall down when using the flash which, as normal for WinMo, is a simple LED flash. Some day these WinMo cameras will be sorted out and become a match for the Nokia N-Series and SonyEricsson Cybershot phones. When they do (and WinMo 7 is out) the devices will be unbeatable!

everton2004, thanks for the pictures.

I can't believe the quality is so poor for a 3.2Mpix cam.

Jim

That's always been the trade-off of having a WinMo device - having a sub-standard camera!

As for performance, it's pretty fast and the 256Mb ROM and 128Mb RAM means there's plenty of RAM for running multiple applications and enough space to install your critical applications to the internal storage.

Battery life is about average for a Pocket PC device. Under light use I've had just over two days before it started complaining of a low battery. Under heavy use (Wifi and HSDPA usage, phone calls, texts etc) it'll last less than a day. I've not noticed much difference between this device and my old Hermes (Vario II).

Jim

And just another thought - I think the issue of quality may be related to JPEG 'over compression'. Look at the file sizes - they're quite small for 3.2Mpix. Perhaps HP may do something about this in one of their updates (fingers crossed).

Guest Deric Law

Hi Again,

I am very new to the GPS thingy, can you explain how does it work with my hp 612 device? i had google maps application preinstall but the gps on the asset viewer show gps is disable. i had no idea how do i activate it.

do i need to install other extra softwares. or bluetooth using another external GPS device???

or do i need to pay some service provider for using agps in this device???

please let me know

thanks a lot

Guest doelie

Paul,

I am using my Ipaq 614c with push e-mail, whenever I am having phonecalls that last for more then 15 minutes they are cancelled by the Ipaq to retreive mail... :D

Is there anyway to set priorities for the services so that my phonecalls are not interrupted anymore?

Guest NuJew

Anyone can give me information on GPS Chip use in 612c?

I found 2 sources telling different

http://smartphonedb.net/index.php?m=specs&...=853&view=1

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handhelds/0,3...1158160p,00.htm

Can I use 612C/614C as orninary GPS from sattlelite?

How many sattlelite it can receive at the same time?

I saw in data sheet that it have external GPS antenna, but I cannot

see any port on devices.

Does desktop charger available?

Thank

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

I am using my Ipaq 614c with push e-mail, whenever I am having phonecalls that last for more then 15 minutes they are cancelled by the Ipaq to retreive mail... :D

Is there anyway to set priorities for the services so that my phonecalls are not interrupted anymore?

That shouldn't happen, voice should always take priority. Oddness!

P

Guest Metoo

Jim

The HP is worse than most other WM phones - simply because of that horrendous pink tinted stripe which seems to plague them all. Unless you're on drugs, who wants all their skies coloured purple?

• 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.