The Boy Genius reviews the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
x1_1.png
How does he do it?

Everyone's favourite insider 'Boy Genius' has managed to get his hands on a US spec Xperia X1... one of the year's most eagerly anticipated releases, and has given it a quick review.

Highlight: Amazing screen (I can vouch for this having briefly used a X1)... sunlight friendly too!
Lowlight: So-so keyboard :D

Head on over to the review to read in full, where an image gallery will also be online soon!

A quick reminder of the specs...
  • 3-inch Wide-VGA (800x480) TFT 65K color LCD
  • XPERIA panel concept
  • Unified Media Experience
  • 3.2-megapixel camera with Touch auto focus
  • Video capture and playback up to 30 fps
  • Integrated WiFi and A-GPS
  • Mobile broadband
  • Handsfree headset with a 3.5 mm audio jack, USB charger, USB cable provided in the kit
  • Internet Explorer Mobile browser
  • HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 2Mbps
  • Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
  • YouTube support (3GPP playback)
  • FM radio, streaming audio/video
  • Video telephony
  • Bluetooth 2.0
  • HW 3D Graphics
  • Supports microSD High Capacity memory card
  • Exchange /IMAP4/POP3 e-mail
  • Quad-band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
  • Tri-band HSPA X1a:(850/1900/2100 MHz) X1i:(900/1900/2100 MHz) )

You can also grab a ton of Xperia X1 information courtesy of Sony Ericsson's X1 whitepaper.

P

Guest Syphon Filter

Pretty sure I submitted a BengalBoy review of this ages ago!!

I guess it was deemed inappropriate for obvious reason :D

One question though:

This is a WVGA screen, how would QVGA/VGA targetted apps deal with being on there, for example...Copilot Live 7?

Guest Syphon Filter
I'm not sure, having never really owned a QVGA or WQVGA device, in general it depends on the developer...

P

Dude, your Vario III is QVGA!

But I take your point. I guess we will have to wait and see when some indepth reviews start coming out with reviewers installing various apps etc. You'd hope that worst case scenario they would just be displayed stretched (ie wrong aspect ratio). Best case they would detect the higher resolution display and adjust accordingly, keeping things in the correct ratio.

EDIT:

How do your apps deal with screen sizes? Are they hard coded to go on 320x240/640x480 screens or do they detect the available resolution and display accordingly?

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Paul (MVP)

Obviously I meant WVGA :D

CamerAware has custom skins, so adding support for any new res would simply adding a new skin file (which i'll do as required).

For my other non skinned apps (e.g. AppToDate), i've made them resolution independent.

P

Guest Syphon Filter
Obviously I meant WVGA :D

CamerAware has custom skins, so adding support for any new res would simply adding a new skin file (which i'll do as required).

For my other non skinned apps (e.g. AppToDate), i've made them resolution independent.

P

:( cool. Good to know.

Guest richair
Now compare it to the touch diamond pro plus super, or whatever its currently called.

That's definitely the comparison I'm interested about: TouchFlo3D vs Panel Interface, VGA vs WVGA, keyboard comparison.

By the way, I remember somewhere (I think it was the Bengalboy review) there was a screenshot of I think it was CoPilot on the Xperia. But the widescreen-issue interests me as well. It would be a shame if you can't run every piece of software properly because of screen ratio issues.

Guest Syphon Filter
That's definitely the comparison I'm interested about: TouchFlo3D vs Panel Interface, VGA vs WVGA, keyboard comparison.

By the way, I remember somewhere (I think it was the Bengalboy review) there was a screenshot of I think it was CoPilot on the Xperia. But the widescreen-issue interests me as well. It would be a shame if you can't run every piece of software properly because of screen ratio issues.

You're absolutely correct, I found the Copilot 6 video on the BengalBoy site. Looks like those apps render nicely.

So the real decision now is Xperia vs. Touch Pro

Guest theroadwarrior

I wouldnt be surprised if SE hadn't given a few devices out to a selected few to keep the masses interested during the huge wait for the device to actually be released!

Having said that, given the time HTC/tmob is taking to release their new devices SE might not be so far behind...

Guest Syphon Filter
I still think I fancy the Raphael over the SEX1...

P

I'm inclined to agree. Not quite sure why though. Just something.

Guest spaul

hey guys wanna get new facebook appl for this device ? Its awesome I just found & wanted to let people know about what the company has created.

The Facebook application version lets you see your friends pictures as caller ID. The Facebook version works for most Sony Ericsson phones also Windows Mobile 6 phones & BBerry. Here you can go : http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=9215392534

After installing the facebook app, just go to: http://get.vringo.com on your phones browser.

Free to use and easy to set up, Vringo lets you quickly send your friends Facebook pix to your cell phone.

Just take a look & give me a feedback.

:D

Guest richair
I still think I fancy the Raphael over the SEX1...

Can you tell why you feel that way?

A major point for me will be the user interface. Onehandedness is a must, I only want to use the stylus when I go deep into WM.

From what I know right now, TouchFlo3D seems the more complete package with finger scrolling and such. I'm not sure if and how the SE panel interface will stack up against that.

Having said that, I love the idea of having a touch sensor plus D-pad on the SE. Decisions... decisions...

Guest SeaneyC
Hmmm am I the only one who hates the grey colour? I think it makes it look mega cheap - go black or chrome IMHO

I haven't posted here for ages, but I agree! The grey looks terrible - Definately much prefer black, i think the matt black finish on my Touch Dual would suit it a lot better. Still, review seems on the whole positive, although i'm desperate to see how the software "feels" on the device. Whilst i love my touch dual, it could do with a bit of a kick up the bum on the speed front, although i'm not sure if this is to do with the OS as a whole running slowly, or the poor display drivers - I suspect the latter.

Glad i went for that 12 month T-Mob contract now, any news on who's going to be carrying this in the UK when it comes out?

Edited by SeaneyC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.