Battery hot when charging?? And USB lead query

Guest Sergeant Pluck

Guest Sergeant Pluck

Hi all

Is anyone else experiencing rather alarming battery heat when charging the Touch Diamond? It seems very pronounced if charging off USB. I know this can be disabled (at least when the phone is on) but still...

Separate issue: I note that a normal miniUSB lead will fit the TD despite the supplied lead being a little different. Is there any reason why I cannot use a normal lead? I need 3 leads, one for work, one for home computer, and ideally a lead that stays plugged in the charger. ICBA buying 3 leads when I am awash with miniUSB leads, if they will do the job. Any advice?

Guest Monolithix

Just charging mine for the first time and its definately a bit toasty, but that's not too out of the ordinary. My kaiser running wmwifirouter while on charge used to get hot enough to fry an egg!

Any miniusb cable will work, i've no idea how old one ones i currently use are!

Guest FlangeArtist
Hi all

Is anyone else experiencing rather alarming battery heat when charging the Touch Diamond? It seems very pronounced if charging off USB. I know this can be disabled (at least when the phone is on) but still...

Separate issue: I note that a normal miniUSB lead will fit the TD despite the supplied lead being a little different. Is there any reason why I cannot use a normal lead? I need 3 leads, one for work, one for home computer, and ideally a lead that stays plugged in the charger. ICBA buying 3 leads when I am awash with miniUSB leads, if they will do the job. Any advice?

Same here. Does get hot when charging. I can charge using old USB leads without problem.

Edited by FlangeArtist

Guest Sergeant Pluck

I note that some are of the opinion that the heat is due to the processor rather than the battery.While this may be so to some extent, there is a lot of heat when charging and the phone is switched off.

I'm not sure if I'd be inclined to leave it on charge when I am not present.

Needs a fix, methinks.

Guest teddyen66
I note that some are of the opinion that the heat is due to the processor rather than the battery.While this may be so to some extent, there is a lot of heat when charging and the phone is switched off.

I'm not sure if I'd be inclined to leave it on charge when I am not present.

Needs a fix, methinks.

WiFi is also a reason for heat, and maybe GPS too.

Guest Monolithix

Having played a bit more with my Diamond it seems its one of the phone chips or the CPU imho. Browsing the net made it very hot, just below the battery on the right (looking at it from the bottom)

My Diamond gets quite toasty when charging but it's not the battery that gets warm but the area around the USB socket.

As for charging issues I've not had any trouble with USB cables on the PC but I've not been able to charge the Diamond with an in-car charger despite using a few different ones.