Some reasons why you'll want to flash the T-Mo ROM on your MDA Compact IV with a generic one!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

So i've been lucky enough to have a play with the MDA Compact IV version of the Diamond ROM... and... er, it's not great! :D

So, presenting my top reasons why you should immediately re-flash with a generic one!

- It's pink! Very pink!

- No YouTube application in ROM

- No Adobe Flash lite in ROM

- CoPilot in ROM taking up >12MB of memory!

- Antivirus! Ugh!

- 4 icon wide program list

- Ugly icons!

And a couple of reasons why you might want to restore some T-Mo bits...

- MyFaves

:(

P

Guest ~Rob

Anti-bloomin-virus! :D

I'll have a look in T-mob today if both Orange shops have nothing. At least I'll be able to port my number

Guest Mr_Gee

Thanks Paul, I just read 20 pages to get to the same conclusion :-)

on a side note, will you be trading in your Vario 3 for a Diamond (Compact 4)?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, i'm using a HTC Diamond as my main device, but I prefer the looks of the C4 and have an upgrade available... so yes! I'll be running a custom ROM tho! :D

P

Guest Chocolicious

The C4 will be available soon as they now have pricing when you call T-Mobile, which normal means days or a week until relase, and if you go over to theunwired.net there is a cab which changes the theme from the pink T-mo to the normal Diamond one. I am not sure whether it is just the theme or if it includes the apps.

I am calling my T-Mobile inside to see if he has any updates and will put up any info he gives me

Guest Chocolicious

Just spoke to him and he says its a week away because T-Mo testing had issues with the Opera browser, which was not downloading via web and walk.

Guest Mr_Gee
Well, i'm using a HTC Diamond as my main device, but I prefer the looks of the C4 and have an upgrade available... so yes! I'll be running a custom ROM tho! :(

P

I don't like the back of the C4 but I also have an renewal available (4 months before the end of my contract),

But I want to see what the C4 is going to cost compared to an Diamond...

I hate the branding, you saw what it did to the Vario3 in regards to speed :D

Guest deadphill

- MyFaves

P

Im only counting one reason there Paul! :D

Seriously though, I thought that Co-Pilot might end up on it but T-mobiles roms are so so crap its beyond belief. Apart from making it almost unusable for anyone that doesnt have 20-20 vision, for those that do it makes any male owner look, in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "a bit ginger beer!"

First thing I ever do is look for a replacement ROM, even if its a standard one from HTC. Its more than likely to be updated and better anyway!

Cheers

Phill

Guest l3v5y
So i've been lucky enough to have a play with the MDA Compact IV version of the Diamond ROM... and... er, it's not great! :D

So, presenting my top reasons why you should immediately re-flash with a generic one!

- It's pink! Very pink!

- No YouTube application in ROM

- No Adobe Flash lite in ROM

- CoPilot in ROM taking up >12MB of memory!

- Antivirus! Ugh!

- 4 icon wide program list

- Ugly icons!

- MyFaves

P

Any chance of a ROM dump?

Haven't yet got my hands on anything other than the HTC branded ROMs, and being able to see the differences in Manilla files may help cracking it open...

Also, surely MyFaves could (relatively) easily be ported to the HTC ROM?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, the modular nature of HTC's ROMs nowadays means MyFaves IS easily ported. It's also integrated into Manila...

P

Guest l3v5y
Yeah, the modular nature of HTC's ROMs nowadays means MyFaves IS easily ported. It's also integrated into Manila...

P

Which makes it far more complex...

Also, any chance you could look for any *.qtc files on device?

From some of the manilla XML files, I've got:

HTC\Assets\Images\Common\transparent.qtc

for a file, and would be interested if that is where a file is... (It's got a stupid name like "447b77de_manila" in the ROM dump...)

more of the files are here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=56

Guest Paul (MVP)

So without reading thru that huge thread...

- Where can you see a map from the manila weird filenames to their real filenames?

- What is a QTC file?

There is QTC files on the device, I assumed that there was some sort of mapping file between the manila_ files and their real filenames?

It's all very odd :D

P

Guest l3v5y
So without reading thru that huge thread...

- Where can you see a map from the manila weird filenames to their real filenames?

- What is a QTC file?

There is QTC files on the device, I assumed that there was some sort of mapping file between the manila_ files and their real filenames?

It's all very odd :(

P

As far as I can tell, the manilla exe does all the file sorting. In the ROMs, all it is is a long list of files with weird headers...

Some of the XML files (which, like the rest, don't have an extension and needs looking at with a text editor...) contain the mapping.

I think (although I may be wrong) that the QTC files are the graphics... There are also Lua scripts and some files with OpenGL ES in the header which I'd guess would do the file handling...

HTC have finally made something that takes time to hack! :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

Shame really, as there are some simple requests people would like to see - changing the background on Manila across all tabs for example. Shouldn't be as hard as it is :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm holding off really snooping around the T-Mo ROM until I get my C4, and hence don't have to keep blatting my main device all the time :D

P

Guest l3v5y
I'm holding off really snooping around the T-Mo ROM until I get my C4, and hence don't have to keep blatting my main device all the time :D

P

Damnit!

I'm gonna wait for the Raphael before I go "power snooping"!