Last update: 14/07/08 - video and images online!
What you need to install OSX on your Wind
Here's a list of what you MUST have to install OSX on your Wind...
- An external DVD drive
- A DVD containing Kalyway 10.5.2 install (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')
- The Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader (as above) on a USB stick or CD/DVD
- The official 10.5.4 DELTA update from here
on a USB stick or CD/DVD. Do NOT use the Combo updater.
- My Wind driver and utility pack (download here
) on a USB stick or CD / DVD
And here's an item you really SHOULD have to install OSX on your Wind...
- A proper licenced copy of Leopard
Now, of course you could install without the above item, but i'm in favour of being fair to Apple. Regardless of the intricacies and enforcability (or otherwise) of the EULA, it's playing fair to buy a licence for Leopard if you plan to use it on a machine. IMHO anyway. It's up to you of course, but it makes me feel better! I look at it as 'Apple won't build me a 10" notebook so I have to do it myself'
I also have upgraded my RAM to 2GB... very cheap indeed at Play.com
Of course, installing OSX on your Wind is gonna wipe whatever is on there already. I'm sure you know that already
Also, if anything goes horribly wrong, you're following my guide at your own risk m'kay?
Before you start - ensure you have BIOS version of at least 1.05 installed!
You can view the BIOS version by entering the BIOS setup (press 'del' at startup).
- MSI machines: download your BIOS update here
- Advent machines: download your BIOS update here
After updating your BIOS, enter BIOS setup and press F9 to 'restore best performance defaults'. This step is VITAL!
Step by Step - installing OSX on your Wind
1. Insert the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk into your external DVD drive, and plug it into your Wind
2. Start your Wind, and press F11 when prompted to choose a boot device. When the blue list pops up, select your DVD drive
3. When prompted to hit a key to boot from CD/DVD, hit a key.... you'll see a ton of text scroll up the screen - just sit tight
4. You'll next be presented with your language select screen. I imagine you want English, so just hit enter! It'll then sit doing 'Preparing Installation' for a while.
5. When you get the 'Welcome' screen, don't hit continue straight away! Move your point to the 'Utilities' menu, and select 'Disk Utility'.
6. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, click your main drive in the left hand pane (probably the very top entry, 'WDC WD800 or similar')
7. Click 'Partition' on the right hand pane.
8. Under 'Volume Scheme', click '1 partition'.
9. Give your disk a nice name. I chose 'Leopard'. Original, I know!
10. Click 'Apply'
11. Wait for it to do it's thing, then select 'Quit Disk Utility' from the 'Disk Utility' menu.
12. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click 'Continue'.
13. Click 'Agree' when the legalese blurb pops up.
14. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned! Click 'Continue'.
15. Click 'Customize'.
16. Completely uncheck 'Language Translations'.
17. Expand 'Kernels' and select ONLY 'kernel_vanilla_92'
18. Expand 'Graphics_Drivers', expand 'Intel_GMA' and select ONLY 'GMA950'
19. Completely uncheck 'Audio_Drivers'.
20. Expand 'Networks_Drivers'. and select ONLY 'RTL1000'.
21. Completely uncheck 'Mobo_Chipsets'.
22. Completely uncheck 'Thirds_Applications'.
23. Expand 'Patches' and select 'TimeMachineFix' and 'PowerManagement_bundle'.
24. Click 'Done'
25. Click 'Install' and go and make yourself a cup of tea!
26. The install will now take place, if you want to speed it up, you can 'Skip' the installation DVD check.
27. re: the Time Remaining calculation, it's not really that accurate. In particular, the 'Time Remaining: About a minute' is pretty optimistic
28. When the 'Install Succeeded' screen appears, eject the install DVD and hit 'Restart'.
29. OS will now start up for the first time, and take you through the setup wizard.
30. When you have booted into OSX for the first time, insert the disk containing the Kalyway 10.5.3 update.
31. Run '1_Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg' and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!
32. After the above install has completed, run '2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg' and step through the installation process. Select the 'vallina_kernel_9.3' kernel.
33. Restart your Wind.
34. When prompted to do so, press F8 to interrupt the Darwin startup.
35. Type 'update -v' (without the quotes obviously), and press enter. Your Wind may reboot a couple of times during this update process. Don't panic!
36. When you have booted back into OSX, insert the disk containing the 10.5.4 delta update.
37. Double click the 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.dmg' to mount the image.
38. After the image has mounted, run 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.pkg' and step through the installation process. Restart when prompted.
39. When you have booted into OSX, insert the disk containing my Wind driver and utility pack.
40. Select the 'utilities' directory in my pack.
41. Drag 'kext helper b7' somewhere helpful. Your 'Applications' folder for example.
42. MAKING CPU SHOW U CORRECTLY IN ABOUT THIS MAC: Double click 'AboutThisMac' in the 'utilities' directory and step through the installation process.
44. ENABLING SOUND: Change to the 'sound' directory and double click 'AzaliaAudio.pkg' and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!
45. GRAPHICS, BATTERY ICON, ABOUT THIS MAC FIXES / MACHINE TYPE COMPATABILITY, ETHERNET AND SLEEP ON LID CLOSED: Change to the 'kexts' directory. Run kexthelper, and drag all of the .kext files in this directory to it's window. Switch to the kexthelper window, input your password, then click 'Easy Install'.
47. Run 'System Preferences' -> 'Energy Saver' and select 'Show Details'. Select 'Options' and then 'Show battery status in menu bar'.
47. FIXING KEYBOARD MAP (UK keyboard layouts only): Change to the 'kaylayout' directory on my Wind driver and utility pack, and copy 'Advent 4211.keylayout' to '\Library\Keyboard Layouts'. Run 'System Preferences' -> 'International', and click 'Input Menu'. SCroll down the list until you see 'Advent 4211'. Click the checkbox, and you will see a flag appear in your menu bar. Click this to select the Advent layout.
48. Almost done! All you need to do now is to get a network connection (either by Ethernet or Wireless if you are using a non-standard card), and run 'Software Update' from the 'Apple' menu to get the latest software updates.
Congratulations, you have OSX on your Wind!