Screen blanking in calls

Guest steve_smith

Guest steve_smith

Hi,

I'm sure I had read a thread about this, but just tried to find it and couldn't.

I tried to ring Orange customer services today to ask something my account. This involves lots of "press 1 to blah, press 2 to fnnnnnah" etc. I found the whole experience maddening because it seems that when you are in a call, after you have chosen the first option using the keypad, the screen then switches off every time you leave it for more than a second. So if you have several menus to navigate through, you have to keep hitting the centre button to bring the screen back to life.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, is there a work-around?

First real gripe... everything else is to my liking, especially the camera which seems to perform better than I thought it would. Mind you, I am finding it a bit odd going back to "onscreen screen typing" after using my C500 and MDA Vario!

Cheers,

Steve.

Guest spacerace

yes - I am having this problem with collecting voicemails aswell. 1 to select new messages, then 2 or 3 to save or delete, all requiring me to press the power key to get the screen visible again! there must be a way round this.

Guest James

Yes there is a fix :-

Prevent screen switching off during phone call:-

HKEY_Local_Machine\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\EnableFastDormantDisplayDuringCall to 0 (Note: does not work on all ROMs)

AND

HKCU\ControlPanel\Phone\Sleep switch value from 1 to 0

SEE HERE

enjoy :D

Guest rupert_hollom

Does the screen still go blank if using a hands free, or is it just a light sensor? Is that what the thing that looks like an LED in the speaker hole is?

I haven't tried it myself, but would be interested to know.

Cheers,

Rupert.

Guest spacerace

holding the device flat does seem to keep the screen on, but I don't think its a ligh sensor - just having the phone upright causes the screen to go blank.

If you pull out the stylus during a call, then the notes application it started, and the screen will stay on until the end of the call. So you can then switch to keypad if you like

Guest LeiChat
holding the device flat does seem to keep the screen on
That doesn't work for me. :D

Had it switched to speaker phone, flat on the desk.

Guest rupert_hollom
There is a thread on XDA dev about a new official HTC Rom release with addresses this issues - and a few others!

Do you have the link to the article?

Guest tmohammad

Personally, if I need the screen on again, all I do is press the power button. The screen then comes on again and I may push the keypad button to get the screen up.

To me it makes sense to lock the screen when connected as you may inadvertently press a button on screen (ie the call end)

Guest highlorddave

surley every phone that is not an iphone is not an iphone, how is that a relevent point?

This is by far my biggest gripe with diamond reviews, if i wanted to use a device primarily for playing music and video then i would have purchased an iphone. I want a something close to a PC in my pocket so i have opted for a winmo device. Whats the point of all these reviewers penalty marking phones for not being Iphones when they have both been designed with different goals in mind.

I will note that the diamond was pretty slow out of the box and this has been alleviated almost completley by flashing a custom ROM and a applying a few reg tweaks, and this is definatly not something that should have to be done by the end user.

all in all i believe this phone deserves a 4 star award for erganomics and functionality, it would make 5 stars if the user interface could be improved to futher reduce the need to get the stylus out for more common tasks (ie fidling with settings and choosing contacts in the SMS recipient field)

Guest Neil5459
surley every phone that is not an iphone is not an iphone, how is that a relevent point?

This is by far my biggest gripe with diamond reviews, if i wanted to use a device primarily for playing music and video then i would have purchased an iphone. I want a something close to a PC in my pocket so i have opted for a winmo device. Whats the point of all these reviewers penalty marking phones for not being Iphones when they have both been designed with different goals in mind.

I will note that the diamond was pretty slow out of the box and this has been alleviated almost completley by flashing a custom ROM and a applying a few reg tweaks, and this is definatly not something that should have to be done by the end user.

all in all i believe this phone deserves a 4 star award for erganomics and functionality, it would make 5 stars if the user interface could be improved to futher reduce the need to get the stylus out for more common tasks (ie fidling with settings and choosing contacts in the SMS recipient field)

Wrong thread? :D