MDA Compact IV available NOW from T-Mobile (now with unboxing!)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest acabbie
So is the Ameo - CoPilot 6 works fine on that.

But CoPilot 7 is soooo much better.

Ah well, i'll install it and see what happens........i'm dissapointed to read elsewhere that the C4 only has 128Mb of ram, hopefully it won't run like a slug :D

Guest mattie01
So is the Ameo - CoPilot 6 works fine on that.

But CoPilot 7 is soooo much better.

i said it might be :D and i was basing this on the hassel i had running a vga version of opera on a qvga screen. and the problems with screen res on that. but as this is the over way round it could work fine...

Edited by mattie01

Guest mattie01
Ah well, i'll install it and see what happens........i'm dissapointed to read elsewhere that the C4 only has 128Mb of ram, hopefully it won't run like a slug :D

as mentioned before i have both the orange (branded htc diamond) and the t-mob (compact 4)version arriving today, so i will check out the ram specs for anyone that intrested thou.

but i believe what will be the case and i could be wrong on this but i cant see t-mob playing around and removing ram.

what i think will most likely be the case is how it is reported.

if memory serves me right the htc diamond. had 192. 64 dedicated to gfx.

normally on pdas the memory is split in half. so on a 256meg rom. 128 would be for ram. (as on the diamond if you remove the mem pre-allocated to gfx) and the other half is for system storage. but as the diamond has build in storage that you can't upgrade.

i believe the memory description is being reported differently to take into account you might only have 192 memory, (128 ram (reported to be in the mda compact4) then hopefully 64 for gfx) but then rather then having the other 128meg you actally have 4gb build in storage.

hopefully thats not too confusing as i think i confused myself typing it. i will have another read thou if it doesn;t make sense when i am less tired :D

Edited by mattie01

Guest Confucious

Let us know - but I am 99% certain the Diamond and O'2 version and C4 all have the same RAM.

The thing that puts me off most is lack of card slot! (that and the fact that I still have 9 months before I can upgrade :D)

Guest acabbie
as mentioned before i have both the orange (branded htc diamond) and the t-mob (compact 4)version arriving today, so i will check out the ram specs for anyone that intrested thou.

but i believe what will be the case and i could be wrong on this but i cant see t-mob playing around and removing ram.

what i think will most likely be the case is how it is reported.

if memory serves me right the htc diamond. had 192. 64 dedicated to gfx.

normally on pdas the memory is split in half. so on a 256meg rom. 128 would be for ram. (as on the diamond if you remove the mem pre-allocated to gfx) and the other half is for system storage. but as the diamond has build in storage that you can't upgrade.

i believe the memory description is being reported differently to take into account you might only have 192 memory, (128 ram (reported to be in the mda compact4) then hopefully 64 for gfx) but then rather then having the other 128meg you actally have 4gb build in storage.

hopefully thats not too confusing as i think i confused myself typing it. i will have another read thou if it doesn;t make sense when i am less tired :D

Cheers mattie. Mine should be arriving today but it sounds like you have a better understanding of the techie details than i do so if you could post any info you find it would be useful.

The "restricted" storage hopefully won't be a problem for me; i've had my compact 3 for about 20 months now with a 1Gb card in it and found it adequate for me needs.

Edited by acabbie

Guest Neil5459
..normally on pdas the memory is split in half. so on a 256meg rom. 128 would be for ram. (as on the diamond if you remove the mem pre-allocated to gfx) and the other half is for system storage. but as the diamond has build in storage that you can't upgrade.

Thats close, but not quite the whole story now :D The split memory thing stopped with the release of WM5 devices. Before that, all memory was RAM, and whatever was left over after teh OS loaded couyld be used for program/data storage, or program execution. A power loss meant loss of everything.

From WM5 the Storage Memory and Program Memory have been separated. Devices now have RAM to hold the OS and execute programs, and ROM to store the OS, Programs and Data. The Diamond devices have 192MB of RAM, of which 64MB is taken by the graphics system, another 64MB for running the OS, some by Today plugins, like T3D, and services such as ActiveSync. This should still leave in excess of 50MB for executing user programs, which should be sufficient for most things. The dedicated graphics memory ought to prevent the situation where system resources were used up, even if there was sufficient RAM remaining, preventing applications from running.

The actuall OS files, Program Files and user data is held in the ROM region- on the Diamond this is partitioned into the standard ROM area for storing the OS and essential programs, and the 4GB 'Internal Storage'; the Standard ROM has 111MB remaining for user programs/data.

Guest wrxppp

The upgrades web page has an error and so I've rung them up on 150 to learn that the C4 won't be released for a couple of days and they have no prices available - GRRRRRR

Anyone have a tel number where I can talk to a non-monkey.

Nick

Guest nigzsingh

Mine has arrived, on charge now. And there is a pouch with it. Must say, it feels nice in the hand. But it dosn't have Live Messenger on it.

Guest mattie01
Mine has arrived, on charge now. And there is a pouch with it. Must say, it feels nice in the hand. But it dosn't have Live Messenger on it.

thats easily fixed thou :D

Guest nebapneb
The upgrades web page has an error and so I've rung them up on 150 to learn that the C4 won't be released for a couple of days and they have no prices available - GRRRRRR

Anyone have a tel number where I can talk to a non-monkey.

Nick

my upgrades page is not showing it available

although it is when you go to buy a new contract! :D

i only pay £22.50 a month :angry:

(flext20+W&W with a £5 loyalty rebate)

so i know they'll expect me to pay for the upgrade or up my tariff a touch :D

guess i'll have to ring at lunchtime & find out or visit one of the stores

otherwise its gonna have to be the phones4u quidco deal i think

and go back to orange :(

neb

Guest Syphon Filter
Until TLR3 is out!

P

Ah, a man after my own heart. TLR does some great work and give users a good platform.

Out of interest, you've gone for the Diamond, didn't fancy a Touch Pro?

Guest NikLP

Can anyone shed light on what sort of deal I would be likely to get on this handset as a new customer moving to T from O (10yrs) ?

I'm currently on a Hermes (still!) and paying about 50 quid a month, for 100 mins (+400 free), 100 texts (+360 free) and the 2GB net package. I'm *months* out of contract and O owe me a couple of favours. Not sure what to do...

Edit: also...

What's in the box

* Battery

* Charger

* Standard Headset

eh??

Edited by NikLP

Guest is2005
Mine's just showed up too :D

P

Can you pleaes confirm whether wi-fi is working on TMobile C4 , I do not see it in the spec page on their web site....

Tmobile has disabled wi-fi on their C3 and just wanted to make sure they have not done the same thing again .....

thanks

Guest deadphill

Clever idea of theirs THIS TIME, to not do away with wifi.

To be honest on a device like this it would be stupid to.

Needless to say I have mine already. What I want to do now is to get a ROM dump so I can put it back should I have to. Then I can go about de-activating all this horrible T-mobile crap on it!

One thing though, it wasnt explained to me that this was on an 18 month deal. Just found out in the "Dear Customer" letter.

Looks like another phone call to T-mob to get this straight. Id imagine I will have to pay now :-(

Cheers

Phill

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.