Diamond gps, i give up

Guest plob

have done everything possible from hard reseting soft reseting messing with settings, i can not get the gps to work. Nothing will work with it. Htc sat wont work google maps or tom tom. I can not get the gps to work. Think im gonna have to ring orange and reject the phone. Anyone got any last minute pointers. Love the phone but gps is needed and its really frustrating me.

cheers for any help

I had this problem - no GPS visible on any com port, but a hard rest sorted it.

From xda dev, someone mentioned doing a hard reset, letting it finish, then doing a soft reset, then doing another hard reset and the GPS came back.

If no joy after several resets, then probably best return the phone

Oh, and if not done so already, don't enable the AGPS feature in the registry. That messes things up apparently

Edited by _dg

Guest Neil5459

Try GPSInfo

This is a PC based installer, which installs it on your phone via ActiveSync. When you run it, you should set the GPS port to COM4 and Baud to 4800; if teh GPS is running, you will quickly see a scrolling list of data incoming, and the status screen will show a map of available satellites.

This program didn't work on some devices, but works fine on my Diamond.

If nothing happens, then you can assume the GPS receiver is broken.

The problem that I an many others had was that the GPS chip seemed to work (ie the back got hot) but it was not detectable on any port and so software could not find it to connect to.

Not even the HTC GPS tool would see the GPS

How would GPS info be any different? If its not detectable, it would not automatically mean a broken reciever, could be just some ROM issue

Guest Neil5459

The GPS only turns on if it detects a call on the COM port, so if the COM port isn't working then GPS won't turn on- perhaps the heating up is just the processor load from the app seeking the GPS?

If a hard reset hasn't cleared it, then it suggests a problem in the GPS Chip somewhere, or the way the MS GPSID system is intercepting it. GPSID should be set for Program Port :COM4; HArdware Port: None, and allow Windows to manage: ticked. Changing any of these seesm to break the GPS system for some reason (as happened with the original TyTnII's) but a HR normally brings it back.

Is this with a specific ROM, or Radio ROM?

The only reason I suggested GPSInfo is that it is a graphical program, so you can see the satellite data coming down quickly if the correct COM port is selected; I didn't know if the HTC app did this

• 2 months later...
Guest danyzayat
have done everything possible from hard reseting soft reseting messing with settings, i can not get the gps to work. Nothing will work with it. Htc sat wont work google maps or tom tom. I can not get the gps to work. Think im gonna have to ring orange and reject the phone. Anyone got any last minute pointers. Love the phone but gps is needed and its really frustrating me.

cheers for any help

i have such a problem. i can't get a gps fix. the device can't get a gps fix ;). isn't there an aplication that makes iti easier? i tried garmin mobile xt and beelinegps. haven't done hard reset, but i will try if no aplication will get a fix... does anyone know if the ROM version could be the problem?

Guest Neil5459
i have such a problem. i can't get a gps fix. the device can't get a gps fix ;). isn't there an aplication that makes iti easier? i tried garmin mobile xt and beelinegps. haven't done hard reset, but i will try if no aplication will get a fix... does anyone know if the ROM version could be the problem?

Which ROM and Radio ROM versions are you using?

I know a lot of people with Diamonds, and no-one is having problems with the GPS other than the occasional dropped connection.

Make sure the settings are not changed after a hard reset, and point any GPS aware program at COM4/ 4800 Baud, and it should work.

The GPS seems much better on Radio ROMs 1.00.25.05 onwards, so if you're still on .03 I suggest updating it.

Guest danyzayat
Which ROM and Radio ROM versions are you using?

I know a lot of people with Diamonds, and no-one is having problems with the GPS other than the occasional dropped connection.

Make sure the settings are not changed after a hard reset, and point any GPS aware program at COM4/ 4800 Baud, and it should work.

The GPS seems much better on Radio ROMs 1.00.25.05 onwards, so if you're still on .03 I suggest updating it.

thanks neil for the answer

finally i know what was the problem. after doing a hard reset no problems occured, but i forgot to cancel the auto-download option in quickgps and i had problems again. so DO NOT USE QUICKGPS . at least for my rom 1.93.401.2 that's the problem

Edited by danyzayat

Guest Neil5459
thanks neil for the answer

finally i know what was the problem. after doing a hard reset no problems occured, but i forgot to cancel the auto-download option in quickgps and i had problems again. so DO NOT USE QUICKGPS . at least for my rom 1.93.401.2 that's the problem

Thats interesting- QuickGPS is generally very well behaved, especially the later versions, but there seem to be specific locations or instances where it totally screws things up.

Anyway, glad you got it working again!