Diamond getting warm

Guest twizzle

Guest twizzle

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but on my Diamond at least, the bottom at the back is getting fairly warm to the touch. Its on the opposite side of teh buttons so its not the battery (i hope). I'm assuming its the heat generated by teh LEds but normally this shouldnt be. So does anyone else have this or is my Diamond possibly faulty?

Guest Kushmir

At times my Diamond gets very warm, I thought it was the battery that was getting warm. I have also noticed that when it is warm the battery indicator goes down very quickly. Whatever it is, it is something consuming a lot of current and generating heat.

Guest spacemonkey

Mine only gets warm like this when I am using the GPS. It also gets a bit warm when charging. I find even if I play videos etc it doesn't heat up too much, but I ran tomtom for an hour the other day and the whole phone was ludicrously hot by the time I reached my destination.

I plan to try using an external GPS with tomtom which should 100% prove how much of the heat is from the GPS and how much is from the processor running intensive applications, but my suspicion at the moment is that it is GPS. It also just eats battery when the GPS is on...

Guest spacemonkey

Mine only gets warm like this when I am using the GPS. It also gets a bit warm when charging. I find even if I play videos etc it doesn't heat up too much, but I ran tomtom for an hour the other day and the whole phone was ludicrously hot by the time I reached my destination.

I plan to try using an external GPS with tomtom which should 100% prove how much of the heat is from the GPS and how much is from the processor running intensive applications, but my suspicion at the moment is that it is GPS. It also just eats battery when the GPS is on...

Guest jimbouk

Its the chips... gps/wifi/3g all use a lot of current and generate a lot of heat.

You might have noticed that the device doesnt have a fan like your pc/laptop.

Guest Kushmir

Strange thing is that it gets hot on standby, when it should not be using a lot of current. The last phone that I knew to get as hot as the Diamond was my first mobile phone, a Sony CM-R111 phone with a flip boom mic and that was back in the nineties!

Edited by Kushmir

Guest twizzle
If it is trying to sync and the signal is weak, it can use alot of juice/heat.

Question is... will the heat affect the performance of the phone, much like it does a pc?

Guest olly_k

This is very worrying and has completely put me off upgrading to the Touch Diamond. Think about it - heat kills Li-ion batteries in fact it is the number one cause of premature Li-ion failure (apart from age) so if people struggle to get a day out of their Diamond from day one what about in 6 months time? two or three hours standby anyone?

Guest Kushmir

The phone does get warm, but it is the area behind the navigation control that gets hot, the battery remains reasonably cool. Of course generating heat requires power, which has to come from the battery, draining it.

The phone does get warm when using GPS or accessing the internet, but also when on standby in good signal areas, which seems random to me.

Edited by Kushmir

Guest twizzle
The phone does get warm, but it is the area behind the navigation control that gets hot, the battery remains reasonably cool. Of course generating heat requires power, which has to come from the battery, draining it.

Yeah i'm not so sure its the battery as its definatley lower. But is it teh LEDs from the button panles? These shouldnt be creating that much heat. What else is there in this area? My Tytn never felt warm on standby or in use.

I've had the phone a few days now and i have mixed feelings about it, as it seems, do a few on here. And with this heating buisness, it really is making me wonder if teh phones all its made up to be. Problem is, its too late to send it back now and ask for a different phone.

Guest Gavink151

For the record I also noticed quite a bit of heat but I am pretty sure it was lowe than the battery. I was also using the internet browser mainly so it does suggest that its the "chips" :D

Guest wardy

The processor is situated below the battery box and it is this that gets hot . The battery does not even get warm whilst charging. For info my Laptop gets hot too and its been working for years . These units componenents are tested like you would not believe . Trust me they are with tollerence

And I spotted this in the manual:

Device getting warm after prolonged use

When using your device for prolonged periods of time, such as when you’re talking on the phone, charging the battery or browsing the web, the device may become warm. In most cases, this condition is normal and therefore should not be interpreted as a problem with the device.