New Owner - Wifi & GPS Questions

Guest daedos59

Guest daedos59

Hi All, I received my Diamond from Orange on Friday and despite having several WinMo devices in the past I'm really struggling with this one. I need some help on two major issues...

1. I can't get the internet to work over wi-fi (3G,GPRS is fine). The diamond connects to the router fine, but not the interneet. My old Touch has no problems.

2. Do I have to enable GPS? I tried Google Maps (inc Use GPS) and that only gave me an approx position (i.e. from phone masts). I've also tried the WinMoGPS program and that didn't pick anything up - just said fixing all the time.

Thanks

Guest Neil5459
Hi All, I received my Diamond from Orange on Friday and despite having several WinMo devices in the past I'm really struggling with this one. I need some help on two major issues...

1. I can't get the internet to work over wi-fi (3G,GPRS is fine). The diamond connects to the router fine, but not the interneet. My old Touch has no problems.

2. Do I have to enable GPS? I tried Google Maps (inc Use GPS) and that only gave me an approx position (i.e. from phone masts). I've also tried the WinMoGPS program and that didn't pick anything up - just said fixing all the time.

Thanks

WiFi shouild be OK. Have you tried to set the Settings/Connections/WLAN Power Tab to Max Performance? By default it is at Power Save mode, which with some routers can't sustain a connection. If it connects to the router, then the WiFi is obviously working- something may need tweaking in the router or security configs?

GPS seems to be a problem in some Diamond devices. You don't have to turn it on- indeed you can't turn it on or off, as it's demand controlled via the COM port. Google Maps is also quite poor at initiating a GPS connection. Have you tried configuring GM to use manual settigns for GPS- COM4 and 4800? My Diamond works fine with iGO Sat Nav program, and picks up a signal quickly, but Google Maps sometimes doesn't see the GPS.

The Diamond uses a new chiopset with closer integration between the processor, GPS Receiver and the OS; unlike previous models, you have to use the microsoft GPS Driver (Settings/System/GPS) and it is not advisable to make changes to any of those settings.

What is the WinMO GPS app you mention- does it give you a graphical display of the fix state (ie can you see if you are connected, or if there is data coming down?)

Guest daedos59

Thanks Neil

I've tried different wi-fi settings but nothing works so far. HTC have my problem on their FAQ page - it merely says to disable the proxy, but has no instructions whatsoever. I'm guessing it's something to do with how my data connections are set-up, but it hasn't worked from the day one.

The GPS app's name is actually WMMiniGPS and I found it via XDA developers. Everything looks to be set-up ok.... maybe I'll just leave the phone in the park for an hour :D

Guest bananas78

Hi

do you have any Mac address filtering on your router?

as you have a new device you would need to add the diamonds mac address to your allowed list?

You could also try setting the winmo to use a user assigned ip address?

Guest jimbouk

You need to set your wifi to connect to "work" and then make sure "work" connects to the internet. Then it bypasses the proxy setting for "internet"

Guest daedos59
Hi

do you have any Mac address filtering on your router?

as you have a new device you would need to add the diamonds mac address to your allowed list?

You could also try setting the winmo to use a user assigned ip address?

I have no problems creating the wireless connection, it's the diamond internet settings that are screwing things up

You need to set your wifi to connect to "work" and then make sure "work" connects to the internet. Then it bypasses the proxy setting for "internet"

sorry for sounding like a retard, but how do I set work to connect to the internet? I've tried going to Settings, Connections, Connections, My Work Network, Setup Up Proxy Server, Proxy Server and ticking 'This netork connects to the internet'. It doesn't work as it won't remember the tick! Grr!