Kaiser-related - TomTom6 alternatives?

Guest Webreaper

Guest Webreaper

Okay, so not strictly a Kaiser thread, but since it's the Kaiser I use it on, and TT6 came with my device, I'll give it a go. :angry:

Basically, I'm getting sick and tired of the awful route-planning in TT6. There appear to be two modes:

1. "Fastest route" - which is obsessed with motorways, and will take you 10 miles out of your way to needlessly get to a m-way, despite the fact that a few well-chosen A-roads would get you there quicker. :D

2. "Shortest route" - which really does pick the most direct/shortest route, even if it doubles the journey time and ends up with you driving down unmade roads, through peoples' gardens, etc. :(

Final straw in using it was last week when navigating from Guildford to Ipswich - TT came up with a totally bizarre route, which took me up to the M11, and then when I came off the motorway it ended up navigating me in circles, attempting to get me onto back onto the motorway when (after a 2-minute look at a map) I realised that 5 minutes on an A-road got me in the right direction much more quickly. Similarly, on the way back it took me some bizarre route which added an extra 30 mins to the journey time. I finally arrived home 25 minutes earlier than the original route predicted (including a 10-minute petrol/snack stop, and some traffic).

My old Garmin Streetpilot III had a "best" route which appeared to be a halfway house between the two modes above, and always picked a sensible mixture of motorways when appropriate and A-roads when not. Despite being 10 years old, it came up with better routes than TT6 does now. :D

So I'm thinking of trying different software. Has anyone had any experience? I believe the only real alternative is iGo - what's the routing like on that, any better?

Guest WearTheFoxHat

iGo is meant to be rather good ... problem is that it is *supposed* to only work on the supplied card. Which can case a problem if you want to use the device for any other purpose.

I finally got fed up of ummming and ahhhhing last week, and plumped for CoPilot. It's different to TomTom that's true ... but there are some really cool additions, such as CoPilot live. My other half no longer has to call to say "when are you home?" she can login to the website and see where I am. She can also send me a message to the screen with four answer choices. Yesterdays was "Can you get me some chocolate? ... with answer options of Yes, Yes, Yes and YES!" (Cheeky bint!).

Also CoPilot includes traffic cameras, and can also pay for traffic data ... about £30 quid for 2 years ... which has got to be worth it.

I had been very unsure about whether to wait and see if TomTom released version 7 for the pocket PC ... with updated maps etc. But I'm so glad I changed!

Guest Webreaper
iGo is meant to be rather good ... problem is that it is *supposed* to only work on the supplied card. Which can case a problem if you want to use the device for any other purpose.

Not a problem, as I believe there's torrents out there with hacked versions which would work on any card, so I'd simply buy my licence, and then download one of those and install it.

I finally got fed up of ummming and ahhhhing last week, and plumped for CoPilot. It's different to TomTom that's true ... but there are some really cool additions, such as CoPilot live. My other half no longer has to call to say "when are you home?" she can login to the website and see where I am.

That's the last thing I want. :D :D

What's the routing like in Copilot? Does it make sensible decisions?

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Seems fine to me, I can fire it up if you want me to test a route.

I run Copilot 7 as well no problems - although the routing types are limited to Quickest\Shortest and Avoid Motorways...

I do have an observation though - WTFH - do you get the same?

When i run CoPilot and CameraAware (for navizon logging) together (via GPSGate) CoPilot seems to take over and the cells\wifi points that i would expect to get logged don't get logged.... when i get to my destination i close CoPilot and CA catches up - (the GPS speed seems to scroll though different speeds) for about 4 seconds and then it works again....

That being said i am happy with CoPilot!

SF

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Oh right, I've only had the CoPilot a few days, and think it's great. It did take me down the M6 Toll the other weekend rather than the M6, but that was fine by me.

Aaah with regards to CamerAware, I haven't reinstalled it since I changed the rom on the kaiser. I think CamerAware is great, but just got a little ticked off with Navizon moving the goal posts!

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Oh right, I've only had the CoPilot a few days, and think it's great. It did take me down the M6 Toll the other weekend rather than the M6, but that was fine by me.

CoPilot> Settings > Routing > Toll Roads (Use\Always Avoid\Avoid if Possible)

:D :D

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Excellent thanks.

Oh one thing .. I haven't got the speed camera's to notify me ... yet I had it turned on ... have I missed something crucial?

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Excellent thanks.

Oh one thing .. I haven't got the speed camera's to notify me ... yet I had it turned on ... have I missed something crucial?

Sorry - i have a Road Angel...

:D