The official iPaq 914c 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
914c.jpg
Regular readers will know that i'm somewhat smitten by the HTC Diamond as my main handset atm, however I am the first to admit that it's not the ideal device for all, and if you are a real heavy user or really need a hardware keyboard, it just doesn't cut it. Introducing the iPaq 914c.

The iPaq 914c packs some very impressive specs in a body that isn't huge, all things considered (especially the battery)!

Specs are as follows:
  • Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
  • Marvell PXA270 520 MHz Processor
  • Quad-band GSM/SPGRS/EDGE phone and Tri band UMTS, HSDPA 3.6/7.2 Mpbs
  • 256MB ROM / 128MB RAM
  • 2.46" transmissive TFT, 65K colours, 320 x 240 pixel touch panel display with LED backlight
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
  • Bluetooth® 2.0 with EDR
  • GPS receiver Integrated GPS navigation (Assisted GPS)
  • 64-bit MicroSD card slot
  • Camera Integrated 3.0 mega-pixel auto focus camera
  • Removable/rechargeable 1840 mAh Lithium-Ion (user changeable)
  • Dimensions (w x d x h) 6.4 x 1.6 x 11.3 cm
  • Weight 146 g

Yes, that really does say a 1840mAh battery (compared to the Diamond's 900mAh!). It's a monster :D

I've been using the device for over a week now, so i'm here to take your questions. Fire away! The 914c retails for an extremely reasonable £349.99 from eXpansys (don't forget our £10 off vouchers, now extended until the 18th August!)

P

Guest Monolithix

Looks a lot nicer than the eXpansys image! These PPC landscape devices always looks so out of proportion though with the large keyboard and (comparitively) small screen...

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Yeah ... not good if you want a lot of information simply presented on your main screen.

It looks like its a good contender to the nokia E71.

How is the camera? Much better than other winmo devices?

How about the size, can you post that size comparison thing next to say the diamond and/or the E71.

Congrats on yet another new device Paul.

I've the same device, running firmware from 12th July (HP asset manager) there are a few niggly bugs that get me and I wonder if you've noticed.

1. The occasional time the device won't charge beyond 90%. :D

2. The inability to discover the MAC address of the wi-fi adapter. :D

3. If P Outlook is closed, the device lags when opening it.

4. Even with the big battery, the actual lifespan has not improved (for me anyway, post Kaiser!) This is possibly due to the processor being previous generation, and the few bugs in the rom.

Cheerio

Howard

Edited by Guest

Guest Paul (MVP)

1. Not noticed that, will keep an eye on it.

2. This seems to be quite common on Pocket PC!

3. How do you mean?

4. I find it a bit better than my Kaiser, in my predominantly 2G area!

P

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding pocket outlook, if it's actually closed and not just minimised, there is a noticeable lag while it opens. If gotten around that by using a task manager and setting an exception to prevent it closing.

In my 'bedding in' with this device, I've tested the following successfully.

SBSH iLauncher & Phone Weaver.

SBP Pocket Plus & Mobile Suite

PocketMax Phone Alarm. (need landscape skins)

Deciding between them is the hard part!

HTC Home can be installed (if desired) using one of the newer cabs from xda-devs. It works with the exception of screen rotate. Ditto with the Kaiser Comm Manager. The DLL and EXE files from the Kaiser can be dropped into the Windows folder on the iPaq giving the extended range of options including data connection, vibrate/set ringer, etc.

Worth mentioning that you get four iPaq points to use on ipaqchoice.com this is a bonus as software start at 1 point.

Cheerio

Howard

Guest Noel1973

Hi Paul, I was just to buy this one and I didn't do it because seems that the keys of the keyboards are too small, how has been your experience with the keyboard?. Another thing is how is the gps performance? and what software do you use as a GPS navigating system? I got a HTC kaiser and the device came with tomtom.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Now i'm used to the keyboard I have no problems with it all. The keys are kinda shiny and smooth but they're very well shaped. I don't like it as much as, say the Moto Q keyboard (one of the best IMHO?) but is' pretty good.

I haven't used any GPS Navigation software on it yet!

P

Guest Noel1973
Now i'm used to the keyboard I have no problems with it all. The keys are kinda shiny and smooth but they're very well shaped. I don't like it as much as, say the Moto Q keyboard (one of the best IMHO?) but is' pretty good.

I haven't used any GPS Navigation software on it yet!

P

Hi, thanks for the quick reply :angry: . Another couple of questions:

1 Does this device come with somekind of navigation software system like tomtom or some HP navigation System? or the user needs to buy one separatly?

2) Also I read that this device comes with google maps, can you tell me if this device use google maps as navigation system :D ?

You wakes up the curiosity about this device to many users like me :D

My perfect device is a QWERTY PPC @ reasonable size

My perfect qwerty device size is the Excalibur sooooooooo . . . . ..

How'z it compare in size/ weight to the Excalibur?

Guest Metoo

Comments elsewhere seem to suggest that the wait for this has been a bit of an anti-climax (aren't they all these days).

E.g. battery life is appalling (especially given the mAh available [1]), it's laggy, crash-happy, and the ring/alarm tones far too quiet.

Just like the Diamond and everything that the i780 isn't, then :D

Are you finding the same?

Edited by Metoo

Guest RSkillz

Hi Paul,

First of all thank you very much for testing/trying out this device!

Makes me think you did read my PM :D

How are the keys? That's the main thing I'm interested in.

The look cramped when I look at the pic, is typing messages easy?

How's the scroll wheel functioning? I think it's great HP decided to implement a real scroller on the side.

And the radio reception, I've read on another site that the radio is very strong on the HP, what are your findings?

And I don't blame you for using the Diamond as your primary device, allthough typing on the screen is still...

Will you also be reviewing the new Palm Treo 800w? (think it will be called the 850w in Europe),

I'd love to see a comparison between the 2, esp the keyboards. I did try the Samsung i780, but those keys are just to small.

Guest kdb9904

I have this device and really really like it. The battery life isn't that good but other than than, I'm extremely happy with it.

One question...

Have you found a way to change the left soft key from Internet Explorer to something else? I cannot find that setting and it isn't under the "Buttons" settings like in previous devices I've used.

If not, I hate it that HP would lock us into IE on a button and wouldn't let us change it.

Guest Monolithix
yes!!

no more qualcomm!!!

I hope to see more pocket pc's having specs like this, and that motorola phone.

Umm the PXA270 is like 3 years old....the Qualcomms are great (if implemented correctly)

One question...

Have you found a way to change the left soft key from Internet Explorer to something else?

Open your favourite registry editor on the device and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112 here you will see two entries, one is the button label, this is the 'Default' key. The second key is the location of the EXE file to run. This key is labelled 'Open'. You can modify these to your hearts content.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112 -> this is for the left button.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\113 -> this is for the right button.

Two warnings here.

1. Incorrect use of a registry editor can cause unwanted problems.

2. Long descriptions in the key labels will be cut off. For example if you modify the label to be 'My Left Key Program' it will come out as 'My left Key Pro...' or something similar.

You can get a free registry editor from here

I've also found a small application you can install that will make it a lot easier, this application can be found here

Cheerio

Howard

Guest mast114
914c.jpg
Regular readers will know that i'm somewhat smitten by the HTC Diamond as my main handset atm, however I am the first to admit that it's not the ideal device for all, and if you are a real heavy user or really need a hardware keyboard, it just doesn't cut it. Introducing the iPaq 914c.

The iPaq 914c packs some very impressive specs in a body that isn't huge, all things considered (especially the battery)!

Specs are as follows:

• Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
  • Marvell PXA270 520 MHz Processor
  • Quad-band GSM/SPGRS/EDGE phone and Tri band UMTS, HSDPA 3.6/7.2 Mpbs
  • 256MB ROM / 128MB RAM
  • 2.46" transmissive TFT, 65K colours, 320 x 240 pixel touch panel display with LED backlight
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
  • Bluetooth® 2.0 with EDR
  • GPS receiver Integrated GPS navigation (Assisted GPS)
  • 64-bit MicroSD card slot
  • Camera Integrated 3.0 mega-pixel auto focus camera
  • Removable/rechargeable 1840 mAh Lithium-Ion (user changeable)
  • Dimensions (w x d x h) 6.4 x 1.6 x 11.3 cm
  • Weight 146 g

Yes, that really does say a 1840mAh battery (compared to the Diamond's 900mAh!). It's a monster :D

I've been using the device for over a week now, so i'm here to take your questions. Fire away! The 914c retails for an extremely reasonable £349.99 from eXpansys (don't forget our £10 off vouchers, now extended until the 18th August!)

P

Paul,

I use both Symbian and Win Mo devices. Coming from the N95 8GB I now have a E71-2 and like it so far...(the qwerty keyboard and all). I'm heavy into Messaging so I feel I still I need a Win Mo device in my arsenal. In my opinion,Symbian just doesnt cut it in this dept. I'm thinking about retiring my trusty HTC (ELFIN) which has been very robust and dependable. I just need a qwerty keyboard.. I have been pondering the IPAQ914. One question though, What's the difference from the 910c to the 914c? I can only find 910c (from Expansys US) with a 400mhz processor?

Thanks

Edited by mast114

Guest Samibouni

I ahve just recieved one of these & it looks great but I'm having a few problems with it and I wonder whether they are common.

Firstly, I can't sync with Act! but more importantly, when I look at the HP Asset Viewer, the GPS is disabled. I cannot work out why this is or how to turn it on & wonder whether GPS is listed as disabled on your Ipaq & why that might be.

Thanks for your help

Sam

Guest mast114
Paul,

I use both Symbian and Win Mo devices. Coming from the N95 8GB I now have a E71-2 and like it so far...(the qwerty keyboard and all). I'm heavy into Messaging so I feel I still I need a Win Mo device in my arsenal. In my opinion,Symbian just doesnt cut it in this dept. I'm thinking about retiring my trusty HTC (ELFIN) which has been very robust and dependable. I just need a qwerty keyboard.. I have been pondering the IPAQ914. One question though, What's the difference from the 910c to the 914c? I can only find 910c (from Expansys US) with a 400mhz processor?

Thanks

Helloooo?

One question though, What's the difference from the 910c to the 914c? I can only find 910c (from Expansys US) with a 400mhz processor?

Helloooo?

Ignoring your petulance and impatience :D

AFAIK hardware wise they're the same. The model number just signifies which region/distribution channel it is intended for (and the "c" for camera). This is further broken down into product codes which signify the warranty and what maps/operators etc. are pre-loaded. If you're not sure what you're getting, always check the FB code with the supplier.

Here's the full list:-

HP iPAQ 910c Business Messenger

FB050AA#ABA US, The Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Antigua/Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guam, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts, St. Vincent, US Virgin Islands, Belize, French Guiana, Guyana, Martinique

FB050AA#ABC Canada

FB050AA#B16 Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Costa Rica, El Salvador,Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Martinique

FB050AA#AC8 Argentina

FB050AA#AC4 Brazil, Guyana

FB068AA#ABA US, Canada, The Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Antigua/Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda,British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guam, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts, St.Vincent, US Virgin Islands, Belize, French Guiana, Guyana, Martinique

FB167AA#AR9 Mexico

HP iPAQ 912c Business Messenger

FB051AA#UUF Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, India, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Laos,Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka

FB051AA#ABG Australia, New Zealand

FB051AA#ARE Malaysia

FB051AA#AB0 Taiwan

FB051AA#AB5 Hong Kong

FB089AA#ACJ India

HP iPAQ 914c Business Messenger

FB052AA#ABB UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Bulgaria, South Africa, Switzerland, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg, Albania, Algeria, Benin, Cameroon, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Morocco, Nether Antilles, Nigeria, Romania, Suriname, Trinidad Tobago, Belarus, Liechtenstein

FB052AA#ABF France, Switzerland

FB052AA#ABZ Italy, Switzerland

FB052AA #AB9 Portugal

FB052AA#ABE Spain

FB052AA#AB7 Greece

FB052AA#ABD Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Liechtenstein

FB052AA#AB8 Turkey

FB052AA#ABV Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen, Oman, Lebanon, Jordan

FB052AA#ACB Russian Federation, Belarus

FB052AA#ABH Netherlands

FB052AA#ABY Denmark

FB052AA#ABS Sweden

FB052AA#ABN Norway

FB153AA#ABB Czech Republic, Croatia, Israel, South Africa, Ukraine

HP iPAQ 914c Business Messenger – top value

FB052AT#ABB UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Bulgaria, South Africa, Switzerland, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg, Albania, Algeria, Benin, Cameroon, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Morocco, Nether Antilles, Nigeria, Romania, Suriname, Trinidad Tobago, Belarus, Liechtenstein

FB052AT#ABF France, Switzerland

FB052AT#ABZ Italy, Switzerland

FB052AT#AB9 Portugal

FB052AT#ABE Spain

FB052AT#AB7 Greece

FB052AT#ABD Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Liechtenstein

FB052AT#AB8 Turkey

FB052AT#ACB Russian Federation, Belarus

FB052AT#ABH Netherlands

FB052AT#ABY Denmark

FB052AT#ABS Sweden

FB052AT#ABN Norway

PDF link: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quicksp...v/12784_div.PDF

Edited by Metoo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.