No more internal storage space left, what to do?

Guest highmighty

Guest highmighty

Hi all,

I've just installed WM6.1 (Plain Jane version) on my SP5m smartphone and there is only 1MB left internally so whenever I surf web pages I get this annoying message saying "free up some space plz"! Could someone help me to fix this please?

Most of my apps are installed on the storage card, but skype and googlemaps are auto-installed internally, is there a way to change this?

Also, I've tried those tweaks that supposedly puts IE cache onto the storage card but it doesn't seem to work, the cache stays internally?! Same for emails and attachments, they stay stored in the internal storage even though I tweaked the registry to have them saved externally?!

Thanks for your time and effort,

highmighty

Guest notaliberal

you can move the contents of \windows\appmgr to the storage card, just make sure you move them back when you want to uninstall a program. That'll free up a couple megs, depending on how much you have installed...

That's my 2 cents...

Good luck,

Guest highmighty
you can move the contents of \windows\appmgr to the storage card, just make sure you move them back when you want to uninstall a program. That'll free up a couple megs, depending on how much you have installed...

That's my 2 cents...

Good luck,

Thanks notaliberal, I did and it sure helps. Any other ideas/tweaks to improve the internal storage space left on the device anyone?

highmighty

Guest Confucious

I never realkised you could get 6.1 on an SP5M! make sure you store your temp internet files on your storage card otherwise what little space you do have will soon be eaten up!

Guest notaliberal

One other possibility...

On my WM6 device, I had to manually tweak the reg hack for the email to be stored on the card. Look in:

\HKLM\Software\Microsoft

On WM6, there is no MAPI key in the above path. The hack seems to create one, but it has no effect on where the email is stored. Instead, you need to go into

\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings

THat's where you create two new string values like this:

Name: AttachPath

String: \Storage Card\Mail\Attachments

and

Name: PropertyPath

String: \Storage Card\Mail

You'll need to make sure you create those paths on your storage card. Make a folder named Mail and in it put a folder names Attachments.

Once you reboot, it should work. If you use a file explorer you can now move the contents of \Windows\Messaging into \Storage Card\Mail. That should free up some space as well...

Let us know if you have any problems...good luck,

Guest highmighty
make sure you store your temp internet files on your storage card otherwise what little space you do have will soon be eaten up!

I tried moving the "Temp Internet files" to the SD card but without any luck so far. No matter what I do, either using the "Modaco card cache.cab" or manually modifying the registry, the IE cache always stays on the internal memory, what could be the problem? Could someone tell me what are they exact registry keys that I need to change to make this to work?

Thanks again for your time and effort,

highmighty

• 1 year later...