Omnia battery life

Guest PaulOBrien

• 1 month later...
Guest sasha00
I have it on auto... which ROM gemmac? Something is definitely wrong! Tried a hard reset and not installing ANYTHING, then seeing how it goes?

Push mail? 3G area? What have you installed?

P

Hi Paul,

I finally bought this lovely device. After one days of usage my wife said it is either her or the phone. I love the device so far. The only problem is the battery life.

I am using the phone in north america and the version is PDA DXHH3 and Phone DXHH3. Usage is minimum. About 2 phone calls of 1 minute each.

Question:

- What ROM do I need to extend the battery life?

- Which country is this DXHH3 from?

Guest Jokes On You
I'm using SPB UI ... :rolleyes:

Yea im on the HJ1 rom to but I use WisBar. I honestly think if I didnt use my phone every 5 mins my battery life would be ridiculously long. I once went on 40% for a day and a half. It was mostly txting and light internet use but I still think that is pretty damn good :)

Guest ryboto

my phone had the J1 rom intially, I've since updated it to the latest M2D ROM by Passoa. Today, after a full charge overnight, I used my phone to recieve two texts, and connect to google maps to check the traffic for about ~3min. I haven't made a single call with the phone. I've been listening to music(wired headphones) for ~ 3 hours, phone volume is only the first notch up from silent. After all that, I've lost 20% of charge, according to the phone. This seems pretty terrible. Even with the J1 battery life wasn't very good, I'm almost required to charge it every night if I don't want a dead phone by noon the next day. Could it be a bad battery?

Guest Natsirt
Took of charge last night at 10pm, over night stand by, an hour of music, 45 mins of calls, 30 mins of text, 15 mins of emailing, 2 hours GPS + installing bits and pieces, battery = 60%.

wow.. dats pretty good imo..

i use M2D04 DXHK1 rom and when i use approx 2-2.5 hours of calls and about 5-10 texts and capturing about 60 photos, im about down to 40% from 3am (thursday) to 12am (friday)

i think.. i cant remember if it was 40% before 2 hours of callls that night or after.. i get about 4-5 days with average usage..and if i leave it on overnight .. or i leave it standby (not using anything) it doesnt use any battery at all (well the indicator doesnt change xD)

Edited by Natsirt

Once I reverted to using default dialler rather than the Samsung one, the battery charge seems to last much longer. A day longer it seems, so 2 days now

Guest ryboto
wow.. dats pretty good imo..

i use M2D04 DXHK1 rom and when i use approx 2-2.5 hours of calls and about 5-10 texts and capturing about 60 photos, im about down to 40% from 3am (thursday) to 12am (friday)

i think.. i cant remember if it was 40% before 2 hours of callls that night or after.. i get about 4-5 days with average usage..and if i leave it on overnight .. or i leave it standby (not using anything) it doesnt use any battery at all (well the indicator doesnt change xD)

HOW? If I did that much calling in a day, and used the camera for that many pictures, I'd have maybe 20% left, or it would be dead. Could low coverage areas cause the battery to drain more even if I'm not making calls?

Guest dopeness
HOW? If I did that much calling in a day, and used the camera for that many pictures, I'd have maybe 20% left, or it would be dead. Could low coverage areas cause the battery to drain more even if I'm not making calls?

I read the guys post that you are responding to and my jaw dropped. There no way in Hades he is talking about the Omnia, or more to the point, my Omnia. I don't get a good 6 hours out of this phone with 5 calls, 25 min internet browsing AND standby. I'll be at 20% or lower at that point. :rolleyes: Am I missing something? <_< This thing is a battery hog. I have never had a phone that I have had to recharge so much after the inital purchase.

Guest ryboto
I read the guys post that you are responding to and my jaw dropped. There no way in Hades he is talking about the Omnia, or more to the point, my Omnia. I don't get a good 6 hours out of this phone with 5 calls, 25 min internet browsing AND standby. I'll be at 20% or lower at that point. :rolleyes: Am I missing something? <_< This thing is a battery hog. I have never had a phone that I have had to recharge so much after the inital purchase.

OK, good, I'm in the same boat. Today, I turned off the phone radio, had the thing in standby, then listened to music for ~5 hours at work. Took it out of standby at noon to check voicemail, disconnected the phone radio again. After work, I turned the phone radio on, made 1 call for 2 minutes, checked google maps for traffic for ~ 1 minute, and then shut off the phone radio. turned it back on a few hours later after the gym, and made 2 1 minute calls, at the end of the day, I've lost ~25% of the battery. Is this normal?

Guest Natsirt

i might be wrong guys... it was on xmas and i think it might've been down to 40% at like.. 7pm or so on the thursday. I had charged it fully by 3am earlier that day..so it mightve been down to 40% after 60 photos.. 5-10 messages.. about 15-20 minutes of calls.. and a few other things like changing and installing themes... from 3am to 7pm.. then i prob woulda called for 2 hours afterwards, then the battery woulda dropped to round 20-10%.

Im luckly if mine lasts 24hrs without any calls/sms/games. Just idiling with the screen off. (original samsung battery)

Could dodgy ebay chargers be the cause of everyone's problem. Someone mentioned that the dodgy ebay chargers supply an incorrect voltage which kills the battery life. I am going to order a new battery and see if that improves

AUSTRALIA

pda: i900DFHJ6/DFHJ6

Phone: i900XXHJ1.

SHould i upgrade my firmware?

Edited by Tano

Guest Natsirt

mmm might be firmware, might be battery.. i got mine off ebay and its perfectly normal.. havnt had any problems with it :) right now on PaSSoA's m2d04/hk1 rom im getting 360 hours of standby before my phone completely dies.. or i might be wrong.. it only uses up 10% of the battery in 36 hours.. thats with jus pure standby .. and sumtimes checking the time.. i want to upgrade to official HK3 rom because i feel like mucking with the widgets xD that and.. manilla aint really working for me.. its nice and all.. just i want to see more than 1 upcoming appointment..

There COULD be a very simple solution to some of the battery issues here. Don't rely on the "power" application under "settings" it will read 100% long before the battery is fully charged. Watch for whent the red light turns green. I often get another hour or two of charging on mine.

There COULD be a very simple solution to some of the battery issues here. Don't rely on the "power" application under "settings" it will read 100% long before the battery is fully charged. Watch for whent the red light turns green. I often get another hour or two of charging on mine.

Both the phone and S2U2 show the battery at full when i have it plugged into USB (activesync). I leave it in there all day at work 9am-5pm (phone lasts<20hrs without constant charging) and it never turns green.

Guest andromedia

Well, when I was on HJ1, my battery could last between 2-3 full days with moderate usage... It's still more or less the same with the latest custom ROM from taril...

Just a note... I have once hit a 5 full days usage with 1 charge. Just phone calls and text messaging, no multimedia files playing, no bluetooth, no GPS, no games and no flight mode at night... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Preceptor

Hi haven't read the whole topic yet ... but will read it

Before upgrading My ROM I had a very poor battry life ... not greater than 24 hours ... (sure there wasn't 3G activated because of the operator which suits me because I don't use it)) ... when I go to another

I have upgraded to DXIA1 with M2D ... I am i another country and have 3G activated ... and still poor battry life (less than 24h)

how can I deactive the 3G on omnia?

thanks

Edited by Preceptor

Guest dwallersv
OK, good, I'm in the same boat. Today, I turned off the phone radio, had the thing in standby, then listened to music for ~5 hours at work. Took it out of standby at noon to check voicemail, disconnected the phone radio again. After work, I turned the phone radio on, made 1 call for 2 minutes, checked google maps for traffic for ~ 1 minute, and then shut off the phone radio. turned it back on a few hours later after the gym, and made 2 1 minute calls, at the end of the day, I've lost ~25% of the battery. Is this normal?

Keep in mind, guys, that there are other factors that suck power besides the obvious hardware transmitters (BT, Wifi, cell, etc.)

If you've customized your phone alot, loading up a bunch of stuff that makes it cool and fun to use, there may be services running in the background -- even when in sleep mode -- that are drinking power by hitting CPU, memory, etc.

If you have the patience and opportunity, perform the following comparison: See what sort of battery life you get out of your phone with all the custom changes and software installed that you dig. Then, do a full backup of the phone, hard reset, and don't change anything else -- use it stock, and see what sort of battery life you get.

Huge difference for me. I've just about completely changed what this phone is (that's why I only get WM phones) so that pretty much the only thing Omnia recognizable is the physical form-factor.

Flexibility has a cost. WM and WM platforms are not PCs, but I more or less treat it like one, as do many other people on this forum. We're hungry for more CPU speed, more memory, and therefore need more energy storage from our batteries. In my experience over the years, the Omnia (and its class competitors) are the first phones that are really just meeting the basic processing specs to make this converged device what I truly need it to be.

• 3 months later...
Guest rayanmx
battery life is woeful (less than half a day with not much being done on the phone) and chargingvia pc lead is non-existent virtually...

I'm beginning to hate this phone after 4 days use...

I think so too... Mine too lasts me half a day!

I starting to hate this thing... I always charge it by night and unplug it at about 8 AM... By 9:30 AM it's already at 80%!!!! no calls, no internet browsing, no nothing! Except push mail via System Seven!

My other phone, a Nokia E71 lasts about two days straight with really heavy use, including Push mail via Nokia Messaging.

I really wanted to come back to WM with the Omnia, but I have mixed feelings about it.

I will let it run through a few more charge cycles to see if the battery improves it's performance.

Cheers!

RayanMX