Software Review: StopCall Freeware For Symbian Based Devices

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_17-Aug-2008_stopcall_symbian_freware..jpg
StopCall Freeware For Symbian Based Devices

A review of StopCall for the Symbian S60 (3rd Edition). This application allows you to input numbers they would like ignored and when that number calls the user receives a busy tone rather than a ringtone.

This is a great plus if you want to ignore calls during a meeting, or if you are attempting to block voicemails from being entered since the program goes to a busy tone rather than voicemail.

Like I said, its a simple program, but it works, it blocked my work phone number when I attempted to try out the program and that number is a toll-free number meaning although the program is simple it works as described.

Has anyone used this software?

[Via: Mobiletopsoft]

Guest shadamehr
thumb_17-Aug-2008_stopcall_symbian_freware..jpg
StopCall Freeware For Symbian Based Devices

A review of StopCall for the Symbian S60 (3rd Edition). This application allows you to input numbers they would like ignored and when that number calls the user receives a busy tone rather than a ringtone.

Has anyone used this software?

[Via: Mobiletopsoft]

I've not used this particular product, but have used a few others.

Invariably I always found that the program took up a fair bit of resources, as it needs to run from start-up. Additionally, as it uses Pattern Matching to (as quickly as it possibly can) check the incoming number against the database of numbers you add, to see if it needs to be rejected, then as a result of my MASSIVE long phone book, it actually took long enough (in real terms, less than a second however maybe) to scan my phonebook, before rejecting the number.

This sounds a very slight time, but WAS still enough for some people (phone geeks) to suspect they had been blocked and rejected, rather than my phone be 'off' from the start, which is what we want them to believe when using these apps.

Perhaps it's time I gave this a test though, to see how speeds of applications like this, have improved nowadays...

If I do, I'll be sure to report back here all!

Guest shadamehr
How many people have you blocked Shad?

No one ever phones me so I never block anyone...

Ha *lol* I only block women that shouldn't be ringing me, when partner is around - or at least that's MY excuse.

As it happens though, as I thought when reading about this earlier, I once went to try StopCall once before, and couldn't because it was Unsigned back then.

Now, it appears to be signed, but installation still fails.

Indeed the whole User Experience is a poor one, in that the file to be downloaded, from the supposedly user friendly mobile version of the site (that site, not this forum), is actually a .zip file.

That's all well and good though as Symbian handles these files fine. But this one opens up for four files, two of which being actual installer files themselves, one named "signed" and one named "unsigned".

So this poor and involved process so far, ends in an unwelcome result.

And finally, and worse of all, no matter which one you click, it fails with a "Required Application Access not Granted!" Error message.

This being what is also reported on the download site by many others.

It is also worth mentioning that this application runs under Python, so it is necessary to install the correct python software to the phone first too. So the whole process is a total NIGHTMARE, which ends in failure anyway after all that (I have Python already installed on my phone, so this is not my problem).

So to report back, as I said I would, I can only say that the whole process is a complete nightmare, and I am a Symbian experienced user - Lord help a newbie.

So apologies to be harsh to a piece of FREE software. But no matter how free it is, it still has to work for anyone to see it positively.

Hope this helps all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.