61 replies to this topic

PPCInformer

PPCInformer

Regular

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN
:D positive replies from everyone , thats interesting .. I havent used a WM Standard, I made a choice to go WM Professional from Symbian a few years back ... Is there any feature on the Standard that is not present on the Professional version of Windows Mobile ..

If you guys were to choose between Touch Pro / Diamond / S740 what would you choose ? ( Ignore the Price factor for this selection)

guybrush

guybrush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:HTC StrTrk, HTC s620
I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed with this device. I have been patiently waiting for a new Windows Mobile Standard (WMS) device from HTC. While the specs of the S740 handset are pretty impressive, I am not sure that this device has a market. I do not believe that the WMS market needs a QWERTY keyboard on its handsets, and I think that this is a serious design flaw.

This device blurs the line between WMS and Windows Mobile Professional (WMP) devices. There should be a distinction between WMS and WMP devices, both in specs and in price point. Because this device tried to be more that it should be in terms of specs, it missed the target on the price point, and that this a serious stumble that has repeated for most WMS devices.

If Microsoft wants to conquer the mobile phone market, it needs devices that are small, simple, and cheap. This device is thick, bloated, and will very likely be expensive. It simply misses the point of the WMS platform.

While the WMP platform is designed for touch devices that are spec heavy, relatively large, and mainly targeted to business users, media heavy users, and serious net mobile surfers, the WMS platform is/should be designed for devices that are minimal in specs, candy bar or clamshell in design, with simple 12 button keypads, and no QWERTY keyboards. WMS devices should be targeted to the everyday user or as a companion to the de facto business device (i.e., the Blackberry).

The everyday user needs a phone to mainly make calls, send SMS messages, check and update a schedule and a To-Do list, take simple notes, take the occasional picture, check non-time-sensitive e-mail, and look up something every once in a while. WMS devices (and the OS itself) should be designed to make these tasks as easy and as accessible as possible. The typical WMS device should not (in 2008), therefore, have GPS, 7.2 HSDPA, QWERTY keyboards, or other bells and whistles. WMS devices could have such features and more, but not on the main line of devices by Windows Mobile handset manufacturers (which on last count, Samsung and HTC standout as the only active and serious players).

So, where should the WMS and WMP platforms be? Let us take stock of the mobile phone market: Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Samsung and LG are the big players (for now at least, as Motorola may be gone soon). While its share of headlines is multiples of its actual market share, the iPhone managed to make a splash in the market because it had a simple interface (some would say game changing for touch devices), associated with the dominating iPod, and it had Apple’s marketing backing. The Blackberry has and will continue to dominate the business market for a little longer.

Before the WMS and WMP platforms succeed, Microsoft and Windows Mobile device manufacturers need to determine which market segment to attack. They can choose from the mainstream mobile phone market (where Nokia, Samsung, and Sony Ericsson mainly play), the media and net surfer market (where the iPhone wants to dominate), or the business market (where Blackberry is currently king). I believe that with a little tweaking and with appropriately specced devices, the WMS platform can easily beat the offerings of its competition in the mainstream market (if not get embraced by the very manufacturers in that market). As for WMP, it appears that it is becoming a serious contender in the media and mobile net surfer market, as well as the business market. The devices are getting better and the OS is becoming easier to use, so WMP appears to be on the right track.

If HTC has a couple of more WMS devices up its sleeves that do not have QWERTY keyboards, and that are simple, thin, and cheap (see Samsung SGH-i200), then the state of the WMS platform could be saved. Otherwise, I am not sure where WMS goes from here, if anywhere.

Guy

noxide

noxide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact IV

... WMS devices should be targeted to the everyday user or as a companion to the de facto business device (i.e., the Blackberry).

Why would Microsoft want to create a device to compliment a competitor??? I would think they'd be trying to replace it if anything. So in this device's case it has good phone functionality along with the hardware keyboard for ease of email writing ala the blackberry. Could even be cheaper that a blackberry too?

Looby

Looby

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Diamond
Obviously the Vox and it's derivatives have sold well and are accepted as good devices so the S740 is the natural replacement. I would have liked the form-factor to have been more like below....a bit less like a TV-remote...

Attached Files

Edited by Looby, 27 August 2008 - 10:10 AM.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,333 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Agreed!

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

ZSX

ZSX

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2, Linx COmmtiva N700
I think this phone looks the biz and the specs are nothing to sniff at either. I have a Diamond at the moment which I love, but to be honest, I much prefer the Standard OS - the UI is more intuitive to me, an it just seems more stable.

My only wish is that this were a slim candybar with no slideout QWERTY, along the lines of the HTC Tornado/ i-Mate SPL, just thinner and more modern specifications. Hopefully HTC will get around to releasing one like that?

simon211175

simon211175

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Devices:HTC S740

Is there any feature on the Standard that is not present on the Professional version of Windows Mobile

Standard has a useful application built in called responsiveness.

With no decent WMS devices available last month, I've ditched my HTC Touch for a Sony C702 - the S740 might bring me straight back though if I can get it on contract when mine is up for renewal at the end of January.

I would of course prefer it without a keyboard, but it's better than no device at all.

Life is nothing to be serious about

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image

barnyr

barnyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

This device blurs the line between WMS and Windows Mobile Professional (WMP) devices. There should be a distinction between WMS and WMP devices, both in specs and in price point. Because this device tried to be more that it should be in terms of specs, it missed the target on the price point, and that this a serious stumble that has repeated for most WMS devices.

If Microsoft wants to conquer the mobile phone market, it needs devices that are small, simple, and cheap. This device is thick, bloated, and will very likely be expensive. It simply misses the point of the WMS platform.

Guy

I disagree. There is definitely a market for WMS devices with full QWERTY. I have been waiting, hoping that HTC would produce a device with a standard dialpad on the face and a slideout QWERTY. I much prefer dialing the phone with a real keypad rather than the touchscreen. The touchscreens look nice, but I don't need it. I was planning on waiting for the new pantech duo to come out and comparing that to the touch pro, but now I can choose this device which is exactly the form I was hoping for. Now I just need to wait for a US version...

richair

richair

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8310
Whyyyyyyy, HTC, are you making my life hard.... :D

I was all pumped up to get a Touch Pro (still am BTW), but this little guy shakes the foundations of my decision a bit. I'm using an HTC Tornado now, and what I like most about this smartphone is the ability to use it one-handed and that one can use the keypad to navigate the menus quickly (because most menus have corresponding numbers).
Upside of switching to WM Pro is increased support for applications. THE killer app for me, navigation, is increasingly difficult, since TomTom ditched Smartphone support.

Anyway, I would actually love the QWERTY-keyboard, because it gives the ability to sidestep T9, which is ok for the occasional SMS, but a disaster when typing e-mails.

One question BTW: does anyone know how the navigation input on the s740 is? I see a Diamond-like circle in the middle, but there does not appear to be any room for d-pad buttons around that circle (vertically at least).

gerryr

gerryr

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire
Hopefully we'll see a similar speced S640 all diamond'ified!

Rimjaw

Rimjaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Lose the QWERTY and you've got the phone I've been waiting for since the C500. Nearly there. Recon it can only be a couple more years before they actually get round to making one.

madbandit

madbandit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV E650, C600, C500
finally something to upgrade my orange contract to from the VOX.

if they ever get around to adding it to the brand!

Maybe O2 will beat them to it!

Mater artium necessitas.

waroffice

waroffice

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
/me wants

Socrates

Socrates

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I suppose this little guy won't work it's 3G magic on T-Mobile USA.

I'll probably get one regardless, but 3G would be nice.

I absolutely ove my s710, but ever since it went in to HTC for "repairs" it just hasen't been the same.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,333 posts
OK, so having seen a few pics of this device around the web, i'm quite excited now :-)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

jp_hero

jp_hero

Regular

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Devices:SGS2, t-mob vivacity, nexus s
  • Twitter:@jp_hero
Hopefully t-mobile will get them, not mess the rom up and have them in stock by December. Upgrade time in December. Hooray.

I am from www.coolsmartphone.com. Visit us for the latest Android news, reviews and app recommendations.

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,333 posts
T-Mo is getting the Omnia.

P

Posted Image

noxide

noxide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact IV

Hopefully t-mobile will get them, not mess the rom up and have them in stock by December. Upgrade time in December. Hooray.

Have T-Mo ever offered any smartphone devices???

UnLoCkSmItH

UnLoCkSmItH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

T Mobile SDA ??

Everyone keeps saying best phone since C500... I had an I-mate SP5(Tornado) which was a really good successor to the C500 until WM6 came out and it felt a little outdated until the good guys from xda-dev came to its saviour and made WM6 for the tornado.

I would still use it and didnt think it needed replacing until the USB charge/sync connector broke off.. after 2 years of use.

Still would be nice without qwerty I reckon but come on guys, I think they'll obviously follow one through. They gotta be missin a few screws if they didnt.

Kapiche

--------------------

Edited by UnLoCkSmItH, 31 August 2008 - 10:28 AM.

jp_hero

jp_hero

Regular

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Devices:SGS2, t-mob vivacity, nexus s
  • Twitter:@jp_hero

SDA 2 as well.
I have one its on wm 2003 se. It lives in the shadow of my ipaq 514 on wm6.

I am from www.coolsmartphone.com. Visit us for the latest Android news, reviews and app recommendations.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users