Is Omnia's GPS working with google map?

Guest noct

I am not sure how to set Omnia's google map. I select the option to let win mobile manage it instead of assigning a port. when using goggle map, it keeps showing 'searching for satellite (0)'...

Under Settings>External GPS, it has 2 tabs:

1) Programs>GPS Settings - GPS Program Port

2) Hardware>GPS hardware port

which one should be used if a port is to be manually assigned in google map?

Guest Geronymous
I am not sure how to set Omnia's google map. I select the option to let win mobile manage it instead of assigning a port. when using goggle map, it keeps showing 'searching for satellite (0)'...

Under Settings>External GPS, it has 2 tabs:

1) Programs>GPS Settings - GPS Program Port

2) Hardware>GPS hardware port

which one should be used if a port is to be manually assigned in google map?

For me it worked with the standard settings, so the win mobile manage. Make sure you go outside to test.

Guest CoolHotCold
For me it worked with the standard settings, so the win mobile manage. Make sure you go outside to test.

Very true.  Also hold it in portrate mode instead of landscape if you seem to be having troubles...

I too also though i had defective GPS.  Went upstairs and leaned out the window and it picked up 10 in seconds.  Living in a old townhouse with large stone walls.

Also if you want to configure it manually in my Tom Tom 7 app, i use Com 3 port on baud 4800.

Edited by CoolHotCold

• 7 months later...
Guest besian1231
Very true. Also hold it in portrate mode instead of landscape if you seem to be having troubles...

I too also though i had defective GPS. Went upstairs and leaned out the window and it picked up 10 in seconds. Living in a old townhouse with large stone walls.

Also if you want to configure it manually in my Tom Tom 7 app, i use Com 3 port on baud 4800.

are you guys using verizon, i cant find the gps app anywhere under settings? do you have to do anything to get it to show up?

Guest blazingwolf
are you guys using verizon, i cant find the gps app anywhere under settings? do you have to do anything to get it to show up?

The i910 does not have this setting showing up. You have to do a reg edit to get it. However, you need to be on the beta rom for GPS to work on our phones. Have you updated yours?

Guest besian1231
The i910 does not have this setting showing up. You have to do a reg edit to get it. However, you need to be on the beta rom for GPS to work on our phones. Have you updated yours?

Yes I did update my rom, any advice how to go about the reg edit? thanks for you help!

Guest blazingwolf
Yes I did update my rom, any advice how to go about the reg edit? thanks for you help!

If you did the update then you don't need the gps settings program. You need to make sure that you set location to on and then take the phone outside and wait for 10 minutes or so for the first lock. After that locks come a little quicker.

If you still want the external GPS cpl then a search of this forum should find the info for you as I don't have it handy at the moment.

Guest besian1231

If you did the update then you don't need the gps settings program. You need to make sure that you set location to on and then take the phone outside and wait for 10 minutes or so for the first lock. After that locks come a little quicker.

If you still want the external GPS cpl then a search of this forum should find the info for you as I don't have it handy at the moment.

Google still wont locate the gps, it says that i haven't plugged one in? any suggestions? Is any one having problems with the new rom? My phone book in the main menu (samsung homescreen not the widget) wont work and the keyboard is a little sketcy but it works better.

Guest Echo4C
Google still wont locate the gps, it says that i haven't plugged one in? any suggestions? Is any one having problems with the new rom? My phone book in the main menu (samsung homescreen not the widget) wont work and the keyboard is a little sketcy but it works better.

Settings -> Phone -> Services -> GPS -> Change Settings -> Location On. Then try.

Guest besian1231
Settings -> Phone -> Services -> GPS -> Change Settings -> Location On. Then try.

Tried that, its a no go, thanks for the help though, Any other suggestions? what about the the phone book in the main screen, it says error opening the shortcut or locating the target, Do you guys think im going to have to reinstall the ROM?

Guest Th3rmal

For me it works, sometimes gets a GPS fix in 10 seconds, sometimtes in 1 or 2 minutes, but it works, and gives you the direction your heading too. Sometimes it isnt very accurate tho.

Guest aceofrazgriz

don't play with port/baud settings in GMaps, just leave it as "Managed by Windows"

also, the External GPS Settings menu has NOTHING to do with the internal GPS, its for bluetooth GPS and the like.

Guest besian1231
For me it works, sometimes gets a GPS fix in 10 seconds, sometimtes in 1 or 2 minutes, but it works, and gives you the direction your heading too. Sometimes it isnt very accurate tho.

Thank you guys, it is working now. What program do you guys use for turn by turn navi. Where can i find such program, i tried installing tomtom but it would not work, the instructions were not very well written. Thank you

Guest jgkeegan

I updated my rom. GPS works with google maps, live search and amazgps. I've been using the gps toggle, bit it isn't necessary for google maps. No registry edits needed.

i"ve been caually looking for something like amazegps with voice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gicu
I updated my rom. GPS works with google maps, live search and amazgps. I've been using the gps toggle, bit it isn't necessary for google maps. No registry edits needed.

i"ve been caually looking for something like amazegps with voice.

which rom did you use?

Guest chokia

Work out of the box

Google maps

Google navigator

Garmin mobile XT

without any settings or GPS gate

on any ROM i flashed

Guest Filipek
Work out of the box

Google maps

Google navigator

Garmin mobile XT

without any settings or GPS gate

on any ROM i flashed

I updated ROM and now: buttons pop ups, there's weather bug and some other stuff, but my google maps still doesn't see gps signal.

(I've got location on and use widnows gps settings in google maps)

Any idea

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

still having DXIA2 and it worked without any changes, GPS locked fast and very accurate to only a few feet radious from standing still outside, walking will show a blue arrow with the same precision :D

Guest aceofrazgriz
I updated ROM and now: buttons pop ups, there's weather bug and some other stuff, but my google maps still doesn't see gps signal.

(I've got location on and use widnows gps settings in google maps)

Any idea

go outside, without tall buildings and the like, turn it on and sit and wait. or u can do it while driving as i do. give it time, theres no aGPS so it doesn't get a quick fix by cell towers, your "cold starting" the GPS meaning it has to find satelites, lock on, and find your position, can take awhile...

Guest Jophster

Hi

I have TomTom Navigator 7 and running QBus' WinMo 6.5

It says I have no GPS when I load up TomTom.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi

I have TomTom Navigator 7 and running QBus' WinMo 6.5

It says I have no GPS when I load up TomTom.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

tomtom usually requires a 3rd party gps app to work on the omnia, like gpsgate. some people need it to have tomtom running, others just use nav apps like garmin or iGO. these last 2 ones actually work out of the box, meaning u dont need any other gps app, just install them and they run smoothly.

• 1 month later...
Guest jgomni
Tried that, its a no go, thanks for the help though, Any other suggestions? what about the the phone book in the main screen, it says error opening the shortcut or locating the target, Do you guys think im going to have to reinstall the ROM?

I am having the exact same issues as you were having. What did you do to fix the gps? I would really love to know if you found a fix for the phone book shortcut.