Newbie Omnia Questions

Guest kakarott kash

Guest kakarott kash

Hi Everyone

Wow this is my first post here, just before I go on I just wana say how amazing this forum is. I am learning alot :D So I wana shout out to everyone here :D

I got my Samsung Omnia 16GB from Orange last week and its been working great, plays all my divx and xvid movies and ogm with no issues (using coreplayer) youtube is super fast too (on wifi) (anyone know if one day these players will support .srt subtitles?)

I am complete newbie to mobile technology. So please bear with me :angry:

My Omnia appears to be unlocked (I put my 3 (three) sim card pay monthly (pay as you go also works) in and it worked with the phone. Also tested a friends Vodafone Sim that workded too. There is no Orange branding at all.

I keep hearing on this forum about Flashing and Roms, I did read the stickys however no one has mentioned what these roms actually do.

My current Rom is:

PDA: i900XXHG5/MSHG1

PHONE: i900XXHG5

My question is do I have to Flash it to make go faster or something? Is my rom you can see above an old version? Do you think I should Flash it? I havent noticed anything wrong with my phone, seems to be fast (may im dumb) and my battery lasts for bloody ages (I heard some people on these forums say that the battery goes quick on some rom updates)

My 2nd question was about the memory card. I have filled up the 16gb on the first day I got this phone. I really wana get a 16gb or higher memory card.

Can I actually put a 16gb card in my omnia? Will it work? The reason is I saw an advert for SanDisk 16GB Micro SD (SDHC) Card - Class 4 for £59.99

To be honest I need more then 16gb but it will do for now hehe so if anyone has any idea please let us know :(

My 3rd question is regarding the GPS used with Google maps (do I get charged for this) if I use it? For example finding my location ect. Kinda worried I might get charged or something. Im usally connected to Wifi. (I got the crappy 250mb internet package of Orange for 3g ect) I did ask Orange Customer Services but they could not answer this question (which kinda worried me)

My last question is about the coreplayer v1.2.5 - When I do Youtube search it finds the videos fine however it only lists about 10 searches, can it give me more results? like the next 10 vids? anyone else experienced this?

Guest DaZelator
(...) I saw an advert for SanDisk 16GB Micro SD (SDHC) Card - Class 4 for £59.99 (...)

Highly unlikely; as far as http://www.sandisk.com is concerned, there is no 16GB MicroSDHC, yet. Where did you see the advert? Or did you mistake the regular SDHC sized card for a MicroSDHC one?

Thanks,

DaZelator.

My question is do I have to Flash it to make go faster or something? Is my rom you can see above an old version? Do you think I should Flash it? I havent noticed anything wrong with my phone, seems to be fast (may im dumb) and my battery lasts for bloody ages (I heard some people on these forums say that the battery goes quick on some rom updates)

The Question is, Do you really need to flash it. ??

I've about the same experience in windows mobile/omnia as you.

I'm not flashing my phone at the moment as its not even 60% reliable at the moment

The phone works, I can text, it plays films/music and connects to the net via wifi and 3G

The GPS works... What more do I need?

Its not to say I won't flash it when its available to the UK

But don't brick it just for the sake of a vibrating keyboard..

My 3rd question is regarding the GPS used with Google maps (do I get charged for this) if I use it? For example finding my location ect. Kinda worried I might get charged or something. Im usally connected to Wifi. (I got the crappy 250mb internet package of Orange for 3g ect) I did ask Orange Customer Services but they could not answer this question (which kinda worried me)

Yes, connected to 3G orange will cahrge you (IF) you go over their 250mb data allowance...

BTW you say its crappy, but 250mb is over 15000 web pages..

Guest Confucious

Flashing cures problems you don't have and can be risky on the Omnia - if you are happy with your phone I wouldn't flash unless a new ROM comes out that gives you something you want.

What on earth have you filled 16Gb with? The largest MicroSD card is 8Gb, Sandisk have announced that they will produce a 16Gb card but it isn't available yet, my guess is that if you click on the link you found it will say 'coming soon'....

Google Maps downloads the map data as you use it. There is no other charge so over WiFi it is free otherwise it will come out of your 250Gb data and if you go over the 250Gb Orange will charge you one arm the first time you use it and one leg the second time....

Done't know about CorePlayer - if you don't get a reply here maybe worth asking on their forums as it is probably the same on all phones.

HTH

Guest DaZelator
Let me know what you think

I think that they photoshopped almost every image which shows a SanDisk MicroSDHC card! It usually shows the size right under the letters "San"; if you watch the images closely, you can see they brushed the size indicators away... :D Just compare to the images on http://www.sandisk.com.

Cheers,

DaZelator.