Orange Internet Settings

Guest Davman

I have recently been given one of these wonderful phones from Orange. It is the first touchscreen device that I have owned and I have to say it has been a good journey so far!

However...Orange seem to have just thrown these phones out of the door and mine does not seem to have any GPRS or WI-FI settings defined. I know that I have to set up a connection for it and set up a new modem (Or something along those lines) but does anyone know exactly what the orange settings are so that I do not have to sit on hold with Orange for the GPRS settings and with Samsung for the WI-FI connection settings!

Thanks! :D

Edited by Davman

Thanks. I tried it and I still can't get it to work. WI-FI doesn't work even when connected either! Annoying. I need to check if i have MAC address filtering or anything I suppose.

I'm going to sync my contacts to my outlook and try hard-resetting I think, see if that can help at all!

Guest Fizz_daz

you can get them sent to you by going to the samsung website and it sms's them to you.. however it shuold have worked once it detected an orange sim... but try samsung mobile site anyhow..

I've done that too. It's all very strange. My WI-FI doesn't seem to work either. It connects to my router, and the MAC address is not filtered out or anything but still no internet what so ever. I'm going to do a hard reset and try again. If it still does not work I might have to see if it actually has a problem with it.

Edited by Davman

It's sending me insane!! Has anyone else had to set anything up for their GPRS or WI-FI to work or did the phone simply detect settings from the sim and just work?

Guest Neil5459

GPRS is unable to detect settings from the SIM, and WiFi is totally independent anyway.

To use GPRS, you need to go to Start/Settings/Connections and hit Connections. Elect to set up a New Modem connection in the top part of the screen, then in the top of the next screen enter your name for the connection, and in the lower box select 'Cellular Line 3G/GPRS' (NOT simply Cellular Line, which would assume a phone number access rather than APN)

Now go 'Next' and enter 'orangeinternet' as the APN; go 'Next' and leave all 3 boxes blank and then Finish

Go back to the main Connections screen, hit the Advanced tab then 'Select Networks' and in the top box enter the name of the connection you just created. The lower box should stay as My Work Network.

If your phone is working correctly, you should now be able to connect to the Orange servers via GPRS or 3G

For WiFi, there is no configuring to do. Just open CommManager and turn on WiFi. If you are in range of a router or access point you will get the 'connect wizard' to enter the required details and security codes, and it should then connect. While WiFi is connected, all data traffic will go via that; if out of range or truned off, data will go via the Orange GPRS syste,. WiFi always connects in preference to GPRS.

If after all this the GPRS or WiFi still don't connect, it could signify a hardware fault.

Guest Neil5459

You'd have thought it should would't you- I think the Connection Wizard was part of the OS build rather then an HTC item :D

My Diamond has a Connection Setup icon in Settings/Connections, but you wouild have thought it would have run for the OP at 1st run if it was present?

I think it does recognise the sim settings. I have finally cracked it! For some reason the phone had all oif the orange internet settings missing. So if you wene into connections the tasks page was completely blank. I don't know if this was a sim error, phone error or error on my part (although judging by the level of expertise I don't have it's obvious that I wouldn't have tampered with this section!). In the end I had to ensure that anything on the phone was synchronized to my laptop then do a hard reset. When I started from scratch again the My Internet and My Work Network appeared in the tasks section. The WI-FI worked immediately and I set up a modem, using the kind advice from Neil5459 (thanks for that), for GPRS and that worked immediately too.

If i'm honest I think it may have something to do with sim updates or something. When I got the phone I got sent a new sim card. I had to do the usual registering sim card thing. I assume that there might have been a bit of an error when the sim cards were changed from my existing one being unregistered to my new one being registered. This was all done in my new Omnia. Obviously i'm no expert but that's my hunch!

Edited by Davman

Guest Neil5459

Glad its working for you now!

A new SIM shouldn't have any effect on the settings, but you never know! More likely that the device didn't initialise itself correctly in the first place, or maybe someone had partly loaded it to test before you got it, and aborted the auto setup?