Introducing... the HTC Touch HD

Guest mobiman2008

Guest Syphon Filter
On another note -- has anyone noticed the new SciFi web based series 'Gemini Division'? Every webisode opens with the screen of a WM device, as well as many visuals of the screen during the webisodes. It's definitely not a 6.x version of the OS -- it appears that we may be getting clues as to what some of version 7 might have in store. Whatever it is, it's clearly identified as Windows Mobile, and it looks very slick ;)

I'm in the UK so I can't watch those vids but if it's what I think you're talking about I would we are some way off and WinMo7 will NOT deliver that sort of experience/UI!! It does, however, look frickin' slick.

Guest Syphon Filter
Yeah, it does have WiFi...

P

What are you thinking re. this device? It's a serious contender if you ask me...I need to go have a play with an iPhone to see if I could live with the size, but on the face of it (mainly due to the screen res frankly) I quite like it.

It's a Touch Pro, with a bigger AND higher res screen, sans keyboard. As I said earlier (I should have listened to you), the new on screen input methods are bloody good...the hardware keyboard barely gets a look in these days.

Guest Syphon Filter
Lol ... it hasn't even been officially announced ... might only wait days ... might be months!

It looks pretty well baked to me...I reckon it will be out before Christmas fo' sho'

Guest dariog78

HTC could sell it also with the Android version???

It would be really very very cool!!!

It's a semi-complete device, missing:

flash for the camera, WM7+capacitive touchscreen,

multitouch tecnology and no pen input!!!

WM 7 when coming out??

Guest Menneisyys
ridiculous device, ppc ideas killer, gtfo, HTC. HTC is not helping PPC devices evolution - it is just sad.

Are there OLD pocketpc device users?

Look on that s***..

dude..plz.

Sure! It seems this phone can retire my 4" iPAQ 210 ;) A VGA screen should be at least 3.5"...

Nice screen upgrade over my Omnia but the lack of onboard storage rules it out for me, I positively need GPS and require the utmost flexibility to accomodate those programs that come tied to a microSD card.

And apart from the screen I dont see what makes it a lot better than the Diamond or Omnia, bigger screen means a bigger device and it appears in the blind rush to compete with the iphone all the previous requests for smaller, more pocketable devices are willingly being thrown out the window.

This may well have multi-touch enabled down the line via software/os upgrade, if it's anthing like the Diamond or Diamond Pro. Both of those have been found to be capable of multi-touch, see here, using a debugging app (and those use a stylus as well). 

Personally I want to retain the option of using a stylus for certain precision applications (eg drawing/doodling) in addition to multi-touch finger operation.

Drvec at 11:02 AM on 09/10/08 Reply by Email *

I just did a pixel count of wide of phone and width of screen in the photo and some trig based on the dimensions and screen ratio and I get exactly a 4.00" screen size!

FOUR INCH SCREEN!!! Me wants it.

Guest mattie01

looks nice, i might be tempted if i wanted a "work" device for connecting in to remote sites via rdp. then the extra screen size and res would be a bonus. but for everyday use. i think i'll stick with my diamond. i dont want to go back to the days of the blueangle (where i look like dom jolly) my diamond is first off a phone. its just nice it can do all the other stuff aswell.. and for that reason i'll be sticking with my diamond.

Edited by mattie01

Guest jonj1017

This seems to be the perfect phone. I love that it has a memory slot as opposed to just the built in memory like the diamond. 4 GB is just not enough for me as I enjoy having my music and videos to watch and listen to on my phone. I hate having to carry multiple devices. This leads me to my question for Paul, Mobiman, or anyone else that has used the device:

What is the multimedia experience like? Have you tried it? I want to know if the videos play smoothly, music is decent quality, and what codecs it work with. I don't want to caught up with driver issues like with the Touch.

Thanks.

Guest nowimboard

I was really excited about this, but now I've had time to come down from the ceiling and read all your comments I'm not so impressed.

Am a little perplexed though that some of us are serious video records on our phones. Never used it! Not once

Good thing about the camera! I'm glad that there is FINALLY a greater than 2MP camera in it. That's my main beef out of the way!

Now like most of you I'm against the iPhone. No just because its a fashion "must have", but mostly because the adverts annoy the poop out of me for giving the impression that they are the only phone to go surf the net, sync to a pc, emails etc etc (you've all seen the adverts).

But this week I watched as someone was playing around with his I phone and I will give it to apple, they have developed a fast phone! I have a Touch Dual and my boss has the cruise. Neither of them come close to the speed and smoothness that the IckPhone responded with. Whilst windows at best is "juddery".

I think that I'd have to wait until there are a view videos on use, maybe Mobileman can do one.. Or maybe Paul needs to talk to the right people to get one as well for us all the see (and in turn have a hold for 10 seconds :wacko: )

I do feel sorry for those people that feel cheated, but such is the way with technology! I'm sure there are going to be flaw with it that wont be on yours, so chin up! ;)

It does look sweet, so so sweet! Well done HTC I think you took a step forward with the Diamond, and I think that this maybe an even bigger leap. So please don't make too expensive. And what EVER you do, don't let the f*ck wits at Orange get ANYWHERE near it!!!! Leave as it is!

Edited by nowimboard

This device looks sweet, but size does matter and its just too big. All HTC devices dont have to be as compact as the Diamond, but come on now, 63 mills wide? It would have been more pocket friendly at 58x106, and a mill or 2 more thickness to fit in all the goodies would have been acceptable. I wonder if they simply built the device around the LCDs available to them. Its too bad they didnt extend the Diamond line by dropping a wvga screen into the same form factor (minus the D pad of course). I guess they want the Diamond to keep selling. ;)

Guest Hamburger with cheese

4"? WVGA? This is sounding very much like the screen on the Nokia N800/N810. That's a good thing; I love the screen on my N800 (I'm typing on it now). While it is large, it would still be pockatable if there isn't much beyond the edge of the screen.

This device looks sweet, but size does matter and its just too big. All HTC devices dont have to be as compact as the Diamond, but come on now, 63 mills wide? It would have been more pocket friendly at 58x106, and a mill or 2 more thickness to fit in all the goodies would have been acceptable. I wonder if they simply built the device around the LCDs available to them. Its too bad they didnt extend the Diamond line by dropping a wvga screen into the same form factor (minus the D pad of course). I guess they want the Diamond to keep selling. ;)

2.8" VGA and 3" WVGA screens are just to small for many people. Sure, they cram in a lot of information, but fonts are often too small to read comfortably so they become tiring to use. That's where the the iPhone and Omnia win out, as as well as being hi-res, they're comfortable to view for extended periods. HTC have obviously picked up on this and responded, so well done for giving us the choice, I say.

Guest Mikeyb50

This size of device is probably too good for win mob 6.1 , would of liked to see it with android or windows 7. The diamond is a great device for the size, but the touch HD will not be any faster (same processor) and screen will eat up a lot of that 1350mh power. You still have to commend HTC for knocking out these phones (take note sony X1).

Like any of these phones you have to live with them before you can decide whether they are worth the hassle of upgrading, selling your phone for.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.