Advent 4211 + Mac OSX + Samsung Q1 Wifi card = Smiles!!

Guest acetuk

Just a quick post to say that I got my Advent 4211 yesterday. Checked everything was working, popped in my original Macbook 120gb hard drive, added a stick of ram and rebooted again and everything was being registered in the bios.

Great... so far so good.

I knew that Mac OSX would not install with the supplied wifi card so I openned my 'spare' Samsung Q1, swapped out the wifi card for the one from the Advent and installed OSX. Everything worked as required and I have full wifi working. Just a note as well that Leapord then installed system updates fine and rebooted without a problem. I wasn't sure if that would work but it did.

I then popped the Advent wifi card in to the Q1, booted to windows and let XP install a driver from the net automatically. That worked and the wifi card is recognised and can connect as required.

So by swapping the cards everything has worked as I needed, the Q1 works as it did and the Advent is now an Apple wannabe! ;)

The Advent seems a very good machine for the money and I'm enjoying having a 10" Apple laptop, called my Windbook, to play with. Saves me carrying on Macbook around.

• 1 month later...
Guest mac head

hi all being a new here but longterm mac user i wonder from your post if you just put the the drive from the macbook straight in and off you went ? or did you need a " special" version of mac os x ?

this would save an awfull lot of trawiling round iffy download sites

thanks

rich

Edited by mac head

Guest WearTheFoxHat
hi all being a new here but longterm mac user i wonder from your post if you just put the the drive from the macbook straight in and off you went ? or did you need a " special" version of mac os x ?

this would save an awfull lot of trawiling round iffy download sites

thanks

rich

Hi Rich,

You'd need it customised to a certain extent with drivers for the intel hardware. But you can install via your macbook.