Vario III GPS

Guest Tony Anderton

Guest Tony Anderton

This may sound odd, but I have recently bought Memory Map software for my phone, as I go walking in the lakes and thought it would be handy (and a lot cheaper than a seperate gps device!).

The software works great, but I have a couple of issues:

1. The battery life of the phone is shocking when the screen is on all the time, so I have bought a new 2800ma battery to 'double' the life - but it still won't last an average walk.

2. To combat the above problem, I want to be able to switch the screen backlight, or the screen itself off (like you can with the media player whilst listening to music) - but this instantly disables the gps.

Is there a registry entry which controls this?

It would be great if I could 'flick' the screen on and off as required but the mapping software still be running as I was walking.

This would seriously improve the battery life.

Any help would be great . . .

regards

Tony

Edited by Tony Anderton

Guest Tony Anderton

Thanks Guys,

I'll give them a try - wouldn't want to be lost in the fog at the top of Blencathra with a battery failure ! (If I can make it to the top in the first place ??)

Tony

Guest psionandy
Thanks Guys,

I'll give them a try - wouldn't want to be lost in the fog at the top of Blencathra with a battery failure ! (If I can make it to the top in the first place ??)

Tony

If you are planning on being out in the wild... then an external battery like this one may be useful.

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t...&t_mode=des

carry a mini usb cable and you can recharge on your way up (or down)

Guest Tony Anderton

Already bought a high capacity battery thanks (2800mAh).

I went with SPB pocket plus in the end - works a treat.

Cheers chaps.

Sat 27th here I come !

Anyone found a way to make a smartphone control the weather? ;)

Tony.