Advent 4213

Guest S-T-E-V-E

My Advent 4211 just suddenly stopped working over the weekend wouldn't switch on at all. So of I went to my local PCWorld for an replacement, but when I saw the Advent 4213 I thought whoah that's nice. After some gentle persuasion the manager agreed to exchange for it but obviously I had to fork out extra £70.

First of all let me say that it is definately a rebranded ECS G10IL it even says so onthe bottom of the unit.

It's got the usual netbook specs with one stand out feature (for now anyway) that is built in 3G HSDPA out of the box. I've tried it with my 3G enabled sim card & it works perfectly. It has a larger than usual 160GB hard drive & 3600amh 6 cell battery.

Other than the above specs the reason why I liked it more than the 4211 was that it looked so much nicer (to my eyes anyway). Size is almost identical as I stacked both the machines on top of each other with the 4213 a bit thicker & heavier (due to the larger battery). The lid is glossy black, main body is matt black with silver edging that sets it off nicely. Build quality is as good if not better than the 4211, no creaks, rattles, screen doesn't flex & no bits falling off. Push the keyboard & absolutely no flex. The screen hinge is substantial & doesn't wobble like the 4211.

The sreen nice & bright but not as bright as the 4211 on full setting. The speakers are tinny but louder. Keyboard is definately the minus point compared to the 4211. It's smaller so more cramped. Both the shift keys are smaller than I would have liked as are most the other keys. However there's good tactile feedback.

The touchpad is definately nicer but not Synaptics enabled. the mouse button is same as 4211 in that its one long bar but its not any worse or better but I do like the way they put the status lights into it.

Overall I'm quite impressed but is it £70 more than 4211 so value for money? Thats up to you folks.

Guest Paul (MVP)

3600mAh seems small for a 6 cell!

Battery life?

Much advent branding?

Are the ALT and Windows keys the same size (and therefore interchangeable)? UK keyboard layout I assume?

P

Guest xxcooldudexx
Just to confirm:

6 cell battery (3600 mAh/11.1v Li-Polymer)

160gb sata drive

1gb ram

intel 945gse video

realtek alc662 sound

card reader

lan

wifi (realtek 8187se? same as advent 4211 unfortunately-replace for osx compatibility)

3g built in - slot your simm in where the battery clips on

1.4kg weight

it has a 1x1gb socketed sodimm - replace with a 2gb one for an upgrade (different to 4211)

**** does not install with the msiosx install cd - sticks at mac framework message ****

PICTURES

01594205.jpg

012C000001594209.jpg

012C000001594211.jpg

3600mAh seems small for a 6 cell!

Battery life?

Much advent branding?

Are the ALT and Windows keys the same size (and therefore interchangeable)? UK keyboard layout I assume?

P

Battery life better than 4211 I had but not as good as the EEE PCs at approx 3.45hrs

Out of the box exactly the same as the 4211

Can't remember the alt/win keys as I not using it right now

Have to say again though the built in 3G is awesome. Works perfectly with no set up requiered. I just took the T-Mob sim card out of my phone, insert into the sim slot of the 4213, fire up connection manager, press connect & that's it. For me thats worth £70 in itself.

Keyboard definately the worse part of the package but I can live with that as I only use it for on the go web surfing, emails & video viewing nothing too serious ;) . I can see it being a deal breaker for a lot peole though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Johnston411

I've got one of these and am triple booting xp, ubuntu and osx (ideneb is the only version it will take at the moment, i think it's a bios thing) B)

I have one problem in that since swapping out the wifi card for a dw1390 everything works in osx perfectly, including the 3g modem B) but you have to enable the hardware in xp or ubuntu then restart to get it enabled in os x. This means that to boot up a working os x from off you have to boot twice. B). It just doesn't work from off if you boot directly into os x.

Is there a way to enable these during boot up so i can boot straight into os x and have my wifi, bt, 3g webcam etc working from the get go?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this as i'm stuck.

Oh and a quick thanks to Paul for his wind driver pack. they work a treat on the 4213. B)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Xabito
whats the speeds like on the portable internet?

I think it depends on your Network, it say's it's 3G and HSDPA, so what ever is the current fastest speed for the UK. This will have... subject to area ect.

^^, I'm thinking of getting this from The Link on T-Mobile, has anyone got this to run with Mac yet ?? What doesn't work ?? The built-in-modem ??