Garmin updates Mobile XT to version 5 - FREE!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
mobilext5.jpg
If you are a Garmin Mobile XT user, you'll be very pleased to hear that Garmin have released an update from version 4 to 5 of the application, with significant enhancements, FREE! ;)

The release, which is available here in the Garmin support site, offers the following benefits over version 4...
  • Update the look and feel of the Garmin Mobile XT application.
  • Add new Garmin Online feature - Google Local Search.
  • Add new Garmin Online feature - Panaramio photos.
  • Add new Garmin Online feature - Flight Status.
  • Add Speed Limit display to the View Map.
  • Add ability to install and display custom vehicle icons.
  • Modify 'Peerpoints' feature name to 'Location Message'.

...as well as a bunch of significant fixes / tweaks.

IMHO Mobile XT's strengths have always been it's excellent routing engine, great POI database and supplementary information and most of all it's competitive price! In version 4 I felt this was at the expense of a UI that looked somewhat dated, but with version 5 adopting a Nuvi-like look and feel, hopefully this will be overcome!

Garmin Mobile XT is £53.99 at eXpansys for UK and Ireland coverage, but don't forget you can instantly knock a tenner off that with our great discount vouchers! :-)

P

At last! The biggest improvement immediately apparent is the addition of an at-a-glance next trun icon instead of those awful verbose instructions (which IMO were dangerous).

Palm, UIQ and S60 versions have been updated too.

Of course, if you chop and change devices often like many of us here do, that's what makes MobileXT such a bargain - it'll run on almost anything, one licence covers all platforms, you get free over-the-air speedcam and traffic updates, and there's no messy activation to worry about. Just stick the card in and go!

Edited by Metoo

Paul,

I did the update from v4, to v4.2 and I lost somehow connection between Garmin XT and the GPS reveiver. I updated to version 5.0 and still can not make the GPS work again. It scans bluetooth attachet device, attached device and I am getting the MSG, that the GPS device can not be found.

I uninstall Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings, restarted the phone (nothing), I uninstall MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 (nothing). Everytime I turn the Garmin it just searching for GPS device.

Do you have any suggestions how to make it work again?

Do I need to hard restart the phone?

I am looking forward to hear from you.

PS

Before I decided to conntact you I read all the info here at MoDaCo.

I install Garmin Mobile XT v4.0 following the instructions which you guys provided here.

Thank you again for your time and thnx for other members from MoDaCo team,

Jax

mobilext5.jpg
If you are a Garmin Mobile XT user, you'll be very pleased to hear that Garmin have released an update from version 4 to 5 of the application, with significant enhancements, FREE! ;)

The release, which is available here in the Garmin support site, offers the following benefits over version 4...

• Update the look and feel of the Garmin Mobile XT application.
  • Add new Garmin Online feature - Google Local Search.
  • Add new Garmin Online feature - Panaramio photos.
  • Add new Garmin Online feature - Flight Status.
  • Add Speed Limit display to the View Map.
  • Add ability to install and display custom vehicle icons.
  • Modify 'Peerpoints' feature name to 'Location Message'.

...as well as a bunch of significant fixes / tweaks.

IMHO Mobile XT's strengths have always been it's excellent routing engine, great POI database and supplementary information and most of all it's competitive price! In version 4 I felt this was at the expense of a UI that looked somewhat dated, but with version 5 adopting a Nuvi-like look and feel, hopefully this will be overcome!

Garmin Mobile XT is £53.99 at eXpansys for UK and Ireland coverage, but don't forget you can instantly knock a tenner off that with our great discount vouchers! :-)

P

Paul,

I did the update from v4, to v4.2 and I lost somehow connection between Garmin XT and the GPS reveiver. I updated to version 5.0 and still can not make the GPS work again. It scans bluetooth attachet device, attached device and I am getting the MSG, that the GPS device can not be found.

I uninstall Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings, restarted the phone (nothing), I uninstall MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 (nothing). Everytime I turn the Garmin it just searching for GPS device.

Is the licence still OK?

Ways to tell:

1. Try entering a destination address. If the licence is invalid it will give an error message saying is does not have access to a Detail map.

2. Try Viewing the map and zooming in to street level. If the licence is invalid you will not be able to see the Detail Map - the label on the bottom right will switch from "Base map" to "Overzoom" instead.

If the program comes up with message about being a trial version and suggests you go online to purchase, the device code (held in garmin\sw.unl) is missing or incorrect.

If the program starts up OK, but you are unable to connect to the GPS receiver and cannot see Detail maps, then the map code (held in garmin\gmapsupp.unl) is missing or incorrect.

Without a valid device and map code, Garmin Mobile XT will only work with Garmin-branded GPS receivers (which contain their own licence). The codes are derived from serial number of your memory card, so if you copy to a different card (or internal flash store), they will not work.

Edited by Metoo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bgates22

I previously purchased Garmin Mobile XT from Amazon and copied the software to another SD card using the instructions on this web site (I wanted Garmin on a larger SD card so I could also store MP3 files on it). When I attempted to upgrade to the latest version, the software asked me to enter the 8 digit security code that came with the product. I'm looking at the case that the software arrive in, and I can't find an 8 digit security code to enter. Does anyone know how I would find this code? Also, I'm very frustrated because I had done a free upgrade earlier in the year that fixed many of the issues on the original software. Unfortunately, that interim update is no longer available and now I'm stuck going back to the base software.

Edit: I should mention that I have a Blackjack 2.

Edited by bgates22

• 4 months later...
Guest palah
mobilext5.jpg
If you are a Garmin Mobile XT user, you'll be very pleased to hear that Garmin have released an update from version 4 to 5 of the application, with significant enhancements, FREE! :(

P

Thanks Paul, my i900 is now running V5 ... a free upgrade so happy B)

• 8 months later...

Thanks guys - great download, am now running the updated version, and it also fixed the problem I was having with the defaults, they were always set to Statue when I started, now they are set to Metric ;)

Freakin sweet ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.