New Resco Keyboard Pro WQVGA Skin

Guest mobilehappy

Resco Keyboard Pro works great in vertical mode on Omnia, but till now its not had any good skins/modes for landscape mode.

But now there is one available: Grey Carbon 2

thanks for that, nice skin, do you know how to get the predictive text working in kesco though, or is it just me?

Guest mobilehappy
thanks for that, nice skin, do you know how to get the predictive text working in kesco though, or is it just me?

I had not even though of that, its a feature i rarely use, but i guess it will not work with this keyboard

I've purchased Adaptxt as an aid in writing my repetitive texts and it works well with Resco Keyboard Pro. You can try it at www.adaptxt.com.

I've also done a mod on the iChellega skin, making it WQVGA in landscape mode. It gives me access to the full keyboard (especially for Swedish characters when Resco keyboard is set for Swedish).

I'll try to attach it here. Haven't had time to make a cab, but instructions are enclosed.

WQVGA_Mod_iChellegaSkin.zip

Forgot to mention that I'm actually a huge fan of the Samsung Keyboard and its XT9 service. Adaptxt is great for me when writing my many work emails that often have set phrase formulations. Otherwise, the haptic feedback, large keys and excellent XT9 solution that comes with the Omnia is really the best solution for writing new text. Adaptxt is nice because it will suggest whole phrases and you can input text into it to "teach" it your phrases.

Since WM6.1 only supports one XT9 solution at a time, when Adaptxt is installed, the Samsung XT9 is disabled. I've written a Mortscript and a link to the script that toggles between the Samsung XT9 and Adaptxt, automatically switching between the Samsung Keyboard and the Resco Keyboard. Only catch is that any apps that use the keyboard and are already running won't recognize the setup change until the app is closed and reopened. Still, works pretty well.

Let me know if anybody is interested in my script and how to set it up.

I am curious: Do you use the Keypad or the Keyboard when in Portrait?

I still like touchPal, but I do not like the way that the text buffers up when you use the predictive mode.

It also seems to have its own propietary XT9 formats and custom dictionaries which do not cooperate with anything else

Guest mobilehappy

A nice app for Omnia would be a switcher which lets you set default keyboard separately for Portrait and Landscape mode.

In landscape mode Samsungs keyboard is great, and i personally prefer it to any of the other onscreen keyboards i have tried.

In Portrait mode on the other hand i find KeyBoard Pro better due to the wider spacing of the keys. (Depends on the skin though, The spacing of the keys are ok in the iSkin and in the Grey Carbon 2 skin)

Edited by mobilehappy

Guest new2city

anyone facing the problem where Resco keyboards seems invisible once you minimise it and restore it again? Only way to get it up again is to select it from the list of SIPs again and when you minimise it again it and then restore back up, it will be invisible again..

For me, I use Keyboard Pro in landscape mode on my repetitive emails, mainly because the Adaptxt memory speeds things up, but also because the send button is too close to the other keys on the Samsung landscape keyboard.

In portrait mode, I find the Samsung Keyboard to be the best, simply because XT9 error correction is par to none. I should note that I write mostly in Swedish on the phone so I either have to use XT9 to get the Swedish character set or have to use the Resco with a skin that lets it show those characters.

By the way, anybody know how to change the clicks on Resco to vibration bursts to simulate haptic feedback?

A nice app for Omnia would be a switcher which lets you set default keyboard separately for Portrait and Landscape mode.

In landscape mode Samsungs keyboard is great, and i personally prefer it to any of the other onscreen keyboards i have tried.

In Portrait mode on the other hand i find KeyBoard Pro better due to the wider spacing of the keys. (Depends on the skin though, The spacing of the keys are ok in the default skin and in the Grey Carbon 2 skin)

I asked the author of SmartSIP to add such a feature, and he will try to implement it (it doesn't work very well yet).

If it won't work I will write such app myself.

Guest mobilehappy
I asked the author of SmartSIP to add such a feature, and he will try to implement it (it doesn't work very well yet).

If it won't work I will write such app myself.

Sounds great.

By the way i made a typo which showes in the quote, its not the default but the iskin which have good key spacing.

Edited by mobilehappy

Guest Quist09

For anybody that uses the Samsung keyboard, but needs to use special characters on occasion and would like to avoid having to flip through the 9 symbol menus, I've figured out a way to modify the first symbol keyboard (with the numbers).

Using your computer, copy these two files from your Omnia in the Windows directory and save them to your computer, preferably in duplicate (separate folders) to make a back up if something goes wrong:

Samsung_i900.Keyboard.Common.Landscape.Symbols.xml

Samsung_i900.Keyboard.Common.Portrait.Symbols.xml

Then right-click on the file you're going to mod, choose properties, uncheck the Read-only tab. Open the xml file in notepad and make any adjustments you see fit, making sure to change the characters in the quotation marks on both lines for each button. For example I've changed "~" to "ä" among others. Save the file.

Now save the files back to somewhere on your My Storage. Then using a 3rd party file explorer (Resco, GSFinder or TotalCommander), copy these files on the device into the Windows directory. Now a softreset and you're good to go. (If something goes wrong, you can save the unaltered duplicate version you saved to your computer to My Storage and then from the phone save it to the Windows directory).

I use the Samsung keyboard to write in Swedish (which includes the characters åäö) and my XT9 solutions most often pick the right character from the context, but on occasion you have no choice but to manually enter a word or name with these characters. Now that I can simply hit the sym123 button once and pull up these characters saves loads of time since I don't have to click to symbol menu 3 for åä and then on to menu 6 for ö.

This of course is a modification to system files, so do so at your own risk.

Edited to add my modded files:

Note! If these files don't work in themselves, try copying and pasting them into the original files that have the hidden attribute. Otherwise, in my tests I also happened to change the xml-files Samsung_i900.Common.Landscape.Symbols.xml and Samsung_i900.Common.Portrait.Symbols.xml, but am pretty sure that is unnecessary, but let me know if you dare try my examples and they don't work. Remember! This is at your own risk and it's always a good idea to save the original files somewhere to reinstall them if something goes wrong. Last note: in my mod the keys for ~, & and ^ disappear since I don't use them that often. Note after last note: These keys are not shiftable so you have to rely on the system to give you caps, or if that doesn't work, you still have to go to other symbol menus to give you caps (Å,Ä,Ö). Anyhoo, enjoy!

SwedishSamsungKeyboardMod.zip

Edited by Quist09

Guest bulderhart

I've got a problem with the Resco keyboard that I don't have with the Samsung keyboards: I press the key, sea the preview and hear the click, but the key doesn't appear in the entry field. This happens about 10% of the time and is really annoying when you need to enter a password for instance (*** don't allow you to check your entry). I like the keyboard, especially the clicks, but this really hurts my typing speed.

Guest randy_c
I've purchased Adaptxt as an aid in writing my repetitive texts and it works well with Resco Keyboard Pro. You can try it at www.adaptxt.com.

I've also done a mod on the iChellega skin, making it WQVGA in landscape mode. It gives me access to the full keyboard (especially for Swedish characters when Resco keyboard is set for Swedish).

I'll try to attach it here. Haven't had time to make a cab, but instructions are enclosed.

Thanks. I like it but number and calc are not in WQVGA in landscape mode.....

Guest Quist09
Thanks. I like it but number and calc are not in WQVGA in landscape mode.....

Sorry, I only changed what I personally needed and just thought I'd share it in the context. All I did was modify the portrait keyboard of iChellega so that it fit the omnia landscape mode. If someone feels the call to modify the other two screens of the keyboard, feel free.

First install HTC Diamond Keyboard and the Run Resco Keyboard.

Guest antonenxo

Installed now on my Omnia...it works perfectly...maybe a little small, but now the A letter it's easy to catch, instead of Samsung's defaul keyboard! :wacko:

EDIT - Well...in landscape mode didn't work good...i've downloaded the WQVGA version (right choice for Omnia): portrait version it's ok, but in landscape it cover a great part of the display, and sometimes it didn't recognize some taps, leaving some letters away...

...at least a good choice for portrait mode... ;)

Edited by antonenxo

Guest Quist09
Hi quist09

The "swedishsamsungmod" is great, Now I can delete rescokeyboard.

Thanks

Hans

I doubt anyone is monitoring this thread anymore, but if anybody is interested in a Swedish landscape Samsung keyboard here's a link to where I uploaded my own version:

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/273133/...ng-xt9/page/20/

The screenshot there shows that the XT9 works well with it. Haptic feedback and everything else works pretty well with it too. I also set it up so that I'm not at risk of accidently hitting the Send button when in landscape mode. Not perfect, mind you, but functional.

I should also note that if anybody wants to change this skin to Norwegian, Danish, German, etc. all you have to do is edit the xml file with a text editor like Notepad and replace the Swedish characters with your own language characters. Enjoy!

Guest ptrbee

First install HTC Diamond Keyboard and the Run Resco Keyboard.

[/quotte]

Do you have the HTC diamond keyboard, or can point me to the one you are using??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Massive Attack
I've got a problem with the Resco keyboard that I don't have with the Samsung keyboards: I press the key, sea the preview and hear the click, but the key doesn't appear in the entry field. This happens about 10% of the time and is really annoying when you need to enter a password for instance (*** don't allow you to check your entry). I like the keyboard, especially the clicks, but this really hurts my typing speed.

anyone find out how to fix this? how some letters dont appear?