Android on i900?

Guest us1111

Hi,

I've been looking through XDA and I noticed that some people were able to run a Linux (android) kernel + environment on their Kaiser/Vogue by means of HaRET and a custom kernel:

http://www.talkandroid.com/android-forums/...ytn-kaiser.html

and

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=2083117

I tried to boot some XScale kernels throught HaRET but to no avail.. I get stuck in the jumping to kernel part. I think one of the reasons is a wrong kernel for this architecture. I would like to compile a custom kernel for the i900 but have some troubles starting:

1. For which target should I compile

2. What is the MTYPE (???) for the i900

Here's some output from HaRET to determine the exact architecture:

Welcome, this is HaRET 0.5.1 running on WindowsCE v5.2

Minimal virtual address: 00010000, maximal virtual address: 7FFFFFFF

Detected machine Default/generic (Plat='PocketPC' OEM='SGH-i900')

CPU is Intel ARM arch 5TE revision 2 product 9 stepping 2 running in system mode

Are there more persons interested in booting linux on the Omnia?

Edited by us1111

Booting linux is not that hard.

Where to get drivers for Radio(phone) and other proprietary hardware is the trickiest question ;)

Edited by Ingvarr

Where to get drivers for Radio(phone) and other proprietary hardware is the trickiest question :wacko:

Well easy is no fun.. However within the attempts I did, I couldn't get a kernel to boot (i'm a bit time restraint so could need all the help).. Did you manage to even get the kernel to boot? And if so, could you enlighten me (please?) ;)

Edited by us1111

Guest phillipxenxciel

im playing around with this too~~it would be amazing using android in Omnia~~keep this threat up~~see anyone find a way

ps~a system as good as andriod need to be run on a good phone like omnia, not a shitty t-mobile G1~~muhahahahaha~hahahahaha~cheers

Edited by phillipxenxciel

Where to get drivers for Radio(phone) and other proprietary hardware is the trickiest question ;)

Well.. Tried to compile the kernel for this specific architecture (PXA312) with the gnueabi toolchain. The android kernel compiled fine with some minor changes. After that, i tried to start the kernel with HaRET but could not get it to start. I cannot determine the RAMADDR and the mtype for the omnia.

http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/

http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains...nux-gnu.tar.bz2

http://code.google.com/p/android/downloads/list

HaRET does not seem to recognize the omnia's PXA312... Also i cannot determine the mtype for this..

• 1 month later...
Well.. Tried to compile the kernel for this specific architecture (PXA312) with the gnueabi toolchain. The android kernel compiled fine with some minor changes. After that, i tried to start the kernel with HaRET but could not get it to start. I cannot determine the RAMADDR and the mtype for the omnia.

http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/

http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains...nux-gnu.tar.bz2

http://code.google.com/p/android/downloads/list

HaRET does not seem to recognize the omnia's PXA312... Also i cannot determine the mtype for this..

Found this info regarding the RAMADDR, maybe there's some info to be found there:

128.58M (0x8095800) DSK1:

| 1.35M (0x159800) Part00

| 3.08M (0x313800) Part01

| 124.15M (0x7c27800) Part02

Cannot find any info about the MTYPE though..

would be awsome to have a i900 without windows mobile and only android.

ill see if i can digg into this.

i just heard i got Pfeiffer's disease so ill be out the running for a few weeks.

what is it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis

Offtipic:Hmmm.. That's a bit of a coincidence.. I just heard last week that I also had pfeifer sometime in the past.. I sure as hell don't know when.

I Don't know if it's 100% correct, but also the machine type might be 1388:

My goal is to get the kernel running at first.. I think that's a big first step. From thereon we could find out more of the hardware within our omnia and see what has been done and what has to be done.. I alsready have the toolchain setup (linux) to compile a kernel and other stuff for the PXA312.. Only thing I can't get a finger behind is the way Haret boots and what is needed in a kernel to get it bootedt with haret..

Hope someone smarter than me (doesn't take a lot :lol:) can help me/us out!

Guest finaldestiny

I'm also very interested in this scenario, android on the omnia. The perfect couple if you ask me. Romeo meets Juliet.

In any case, I don't think I quite have the programming skills to help code drivers etc, nor am I very familiar with the linux world (besides briefly trying just about every freakin distro on my laptop, Sabayon rules :lol: ) but if someone could post information, or a tutorial even, on how to compile the kernel and all that jazz that would be splendid.

Hopefully it'd help more people catch on and trying to get this to work.

us1111 will you be sharing the files you have already now? Or you'll wait until you get android to properly boot before posting?

Edited by finaldestiny

I'm also very interested in this scenario, android on the omnia. The perfect couple if you ask me. Romeo meets Juliet.

In any case, I don't think I quite have the programming skills to help code drivers etc, nor am I very familiar with the linux world (besides briefly trying just about every freakin distro on my laptop, Sabayon rules :D ) but if someone could post information, or a tutorial even, on how to compile the kernel and all that jazz that would be splendid.

Hopefully it'd help more people catch on and trying to get this to work.

us1111 will you be sharing the files you have already now? Or you'll wait until you get android to properly boot before posting?

No! I sure am gonna post my findings up to now.. I need all the help I can get with booting the kernel so no problem! After work I will put up a small howto. Maybe some1 else can find a flaw in that also, you never know :lol:

Guest Ingvarr

It's not that perfect.

One very big problem is current Android does assume that it will run on device with hardware keyboard.

That it does not have any support for software input/virtual keyboards.

That you will not only have to program the software input from scratch, but to modify all input-related things in OS to make all applications to actually work with software input. I think there are some projects to do that out there, but they are not that usable right now.

i remember some touch devices when they where showing it off (so not the g1 but sergey brin's presentation of android) but i hope will work out.. maybe with samsung's help.. would be great

It's not that perfect.

One very big problem is current Android does assume that it will run on device with hardware keyboard.

That it does not have any support for software input/virtual keyboards.

That you will not only have to program the software input from scratch, but to modify all input-related things in OS to make all applications to actually work with software input. I think there are some projects to do that out there, but they are not that usable right now.

You're kind of on the negative side aren't you?

By the time we get Android running in one form or the other there will be a new input method framework available. As you yourself stated earlier, it probably will be a lot of work getting it to run (drivers and so on) so by the time we got something going there will be keyboard support:

Q1 2009

Input method framework (IMF)

This feature will enable support for input methods other than physical keyboards, for example soft keyboards. IMF will also enable application developers to provide IME (see below) applications based on the framework.

Input method engines (IME)

IME will support soft keyboards, a dictionary of suggestions, and a suggestion algorithm. The Android platform may contain few reference IMEs, and developers can provide IME applications through the Android Market.

You're kind of on the negative side aren't you?

By the time we get Android running in one form or the other there will be a new input method framework available. As you yourself stated earlier, it probably will be a lot of work getting it to run (drivers and so on) so by the time we got something going there will be keyboard support:

Q1 2009

Input method framework (IMF)

This feature will enable support for input methods other than physical keyboards, for example soft keyboards. IMF will also enable application developers to provide IME (see below) applications based on the framework.

Input method engines (IME)

IME will support soft keyboards, a dictionary of suggestions, and a suggestion algorithm. The Android platform may contain few reference IMEs, and developers can provide IME applications through the Android Market.

Also with linux running, we might be able to tap into the session and use a physical keyboard at first to test stability until IMF comes up... But first things first, get the kernel running :lol:

Damn.. This was supposed to be an edit, not a reply..

Edited by us1111

Guest Ingvarr

Umm, I prefer to speak about things in present tense. I never said it will not be possible at all *ever*.

To get raw kernel running, you at least need LCD, usb & flash memory drivers. I would recommend to try crossporting them from Linux PXA trees, there are several around. Obviously you will also need to figure out proper timings for Omnia LCD screen, just be careful because improper ones can do physical damage.

I wish i could help here, i'm a java programmer, but a dummy in mobile (ROM) programming, i'm very interested in howto start, and how i can contribute to this.

Edited by dono

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

LOL :lol: .

Here we go AGAIN, Omnia owners. Wondering why we still keep chasing after HTC, iphone, and now Android..maybe next one is Symbian, LOL.

I guess if iphone 3G has 3.2mpixel with a good flash, video recording, external memory, real turn by turn nav sw and a larger battery then I would no doubt hold one now BUT..or if..HTC Touch Diamond had a 3.2 or larger VGA screen, external memory and a good camera flash then I would no doubt have one now BUT..or if N96 had..blah blah..or if Gphone had..

Anyway I am happy with the Omnia because it is decent and stylish enough, plus not too slow or too fast, not too small or too big, not too crappy or too good display resolution BUT it got real potential and with auto focus and other camera/video goodies, a 16GB internal and up to 16GB external (or 8) storage: can't really complain about that.

ENJOY your Omnia :D

bye now zZz..

So, you don't install any apps because of the omnia is perfect? It's nice to make your omnia exactly the way you want, you cant change hardware but software is always a great challenge!

LOL :lol: .

Here we go AGAIN, Omnia owners. Wondering why we still keep chasing after HTC, iphone, and now Android..maybe next one is Symbian, LOL.

I guess if iphone 3G has 3.2mpixel with a good flash, video recording, external memory, real turn by turn nav sw and a larger battery then I would no doubt hold one now BUT..or if..HTC Touch Diamond had a 3.2 or larger VGA screen, external memory and a good camera flash then I would no doubt have one now BUT..or if N96 had..blah blah..or if Gphone had..

Anyway I am happy with the Omnia because it is decent and stylish enough, plus not too slow or too fast, not too small or too big, not too crappy or too good display resolution BUT it got real potential and with auto focus and other camera/video goodies, a 16GB internal and up to 16GB external (or 8) storage: can't really complain about that.

ENJOY your Omnia :D

bye now zZz..

Hey!! If your omnia is perfect in your eyes why are you lurking around on a development oriented forum ;) Or are you also looking into forums about your other perfect working appliances?

We for starters like to tweak around with the stuff we own and are curious what else is possible on it. Basic functionality of the omnia is o.k. but it has been proven that as soon as the community gets involved, the functionality of an appliance can be much, much more extended.. A good example is the classic XBOX1 with XMBC.. Take a look and see what's possible if (very) smart people are involved.

If everyone was thinking the way you did, we would still be riding our chariot looking at the behind of a horse :o

Guest Barthlon
Hey!! If your omnia is perfect in your eyes why are you lurking around on a development oriented forum :D Or are you also looking into forums about your other perfect working appliances?

We for starters like to tweak around with the stuff we own and are curious what else is possible on it. Basic functionality of the omnia is o.k. but it has been proven that as soon as the community gets involved, the functionality of an appliance can be much, much more extended.. A good example is the classic XBOX1 with XMBC.. Take a look and see what's possible if (very) smart people are involved.

If everyone was thinking the way you did, we would still be riding our chariot looking at the behind of a horse ;)

haha so true.

at one side i totally agree with him that the omnia is THE best and allrounded smartphone/pda at the moment (don't argue! :lol: ). but it just lacks a decent interface, samsung totally failed on that part (and the fact that a intern stylus is missing is weird i think). windows wm 6 is pretty good and everybody is familiar with it, but it just isn't designed for finger-use (can't wait for wm 7, allthough it will take a year or so). and the, in my eyes, useless widgetbar and the todayscreen just can't compare with the touchflo 2d/3d interface.

the today screen 2 is pretty clean and good, but i wish there was a way to edit it (there probably is, but i'm not a coder). like the contacts page in there is crap...

Hey!! If your omnia is perfect in your eyes why are you lurking around on a development oriented forum :D Or are you also looking into forums about your other perfect working appliances?

You basically did not know what you were saying about the difference the experiments by users vs. official releases by vendor. Would you rather play around with experimental buggy ROMs running on a different platform that is not originally intended for the product? If you have time at hands then do so but most users here want to have a good working product out of the box for daily use without having to hop around from one ROM version to another, not to even mention installing a complete OS. It is like buying a brand new high performance car and enjoying it just the way it is vs. modifying it and ending up in disaster ;) . If smart ass users are not happy about their purchased products then do NOT buy. That in turn will make the vendors think more carefully the next time around for improvement. Basically it is the customer driven market: if it is good from the beginning, it is worth the buy :lol: . That was why I chose the Omnia over anything at that time.

For me I just had enough problems with customized ROM (only tried once with the 2D manila). It may work for others who happen to have the same interests or don't care much about other apps. But when Samsung releases another version then no doubt I will update to that and use the SPB Shell because it is better safe than sorry.

'If everyone was thinking the way you did, we would still be riding our chariot looking at the behind of a horse ': if you constantly try to debug a custom ROM because of any other issues then who is actually looking at the behind of a horse?

haha so true.

at one side i totally agree with him that the omnia is THE best and allrounded smartphone/pda at the moment (don't argue! :lol: ). but it just lacks a decent interface, samsung totally failed on that part (and the fact that a intern stylus is missing is weird i think). windows wm 6 is pretty good and everybody is familiar with it, but it just isn't designed for finger-use (can't wait for wm 7, allthough it will take a year or so). and the, in my eyes, useless widgetbar and the todayscreen just can't compare with the touchflo 2d/3d interface.

the today screen 2 is pretty clean and good, but i wish there was a way to edit it (there probably is, but i'm not a coder). like the contacts page in there is crap...

Hold your horse dude :D . Nobody here knew how the Omnia's UI compared with HTC's or other touch devices before it was actually used. And then trying to turn it into a HTC or others' UI with a buggy ROM eventually sounded ridiculuous and laughable to other device owners. Are you proud in saying that now your Omnia works and looks like an iPhone or another HTC ;) ? If Samsung can not make the next touch PDA phone that are better than iPhone or HTC in ANY spec, then for sure I will jump ship. Now the smoke is cleared the vendors better have taken notes, and believe me within one year when I probably get tired of the Omnia, there will be close to perfect PDA phones for me (same hw specs like the Omnia or should be better). Now the HTC HD screen has set a higher standard, only if it has a sleek, fast and REALLY smoothly fluid touch UI (should be better than the currently best on iPhone) with a minimal WM ridiculuously small scroll bars (NO more stylus then, and hopefully only need it for a soft reset or UI includes that function). Damn why after several years and still nothing is at least good for everyone.