Is it worth upgrading to .NET Compact Framework 2.0 (or higher)?

Guest Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse

Just realised that I have .NET 1.0 installed on my Samsung i600/Blackjack as part of the generic WM5 ROM. The latest version of Windows Live Search requires .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and I was wondering what benefits this upgrade will bring, if any.

I've not got any other software that requires .NET 2.0 and my bread is buttered on the side of "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it". Hence, I'm thinking that it's not really worth the bother to install .NET 2.0 just for Live Search, especially since Windows upgrades of any flavour tend to add chipshop grade bloat.

I understand .NET 2.0 improves speed of applications (allegedly), however, will I actually notice any real world difference, good or otherwise, in everyday use of WM5? Is it worth the upgrade? Does it "do" anything else beneficial? Any pros and cons of upgrading?

Regards,

Dark Horse

• 9 months later...
Guest CybaCowboy
The latest version of Windows Live Search requires .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and I was wondering what benefits this upgrade will bring, if any.

There's actually .net Compact Framework 3.x available now...

Not sure what it does, but I have it in cabinet (".cab") format for the same phone (I have the SCH-i601, which is identical to your phone, except that it operates on a different 3.5G/UMTS frequency) if you want it?

• 1 month later...
There's actually .net Compact Framework 3.x available now...

Not sure what it does, but I have it in cabinet (".cab") format for the same phone (I have the SCH-i601, which is identical to your phone, except that it operates on a different 3.5G/UMTS frequency) if you want it?

I have some trouble updating my i8000 via pc, so I'm really interested in the cab file. Could you upload it somewhere please?