UnderClock using XCPUScalar Improves OMNIA lags!!

Guest fychan

Hi Guys,

Have anyone used XCPUscalar with say 200MHz? No Autoscale and etc?

I have tested and found that the performance of the omnia improved tremendously with XPUScalar activated even when underclocked.

Traditionally should XCpuscalar's speed be set lower than the actual device speed it would conserve Batt life.

Anyway the above 'results' are based on experience..... however I felt the speed improvement is quite drastic....eventhough I did not used any benchmarks.

Anyone can advice if this method will not further drain batt? with this improved performance?

regards

Guest GSeeker2

WOW! I set it to 500MHz, and now my Omnia is MUCH FASTER!

P.S. You don't have to run any benchmarks, just launch the Photo Slides, and you will notice the photos slide a lot more smooth!

Edited by GSeeker2

I find that the cpu has autoscale and sometimes, it is scaled down to 200mhz. Run tcpmp and see the cpu speed. Once xcpuscalar is running, the cpu speed remains at a high level.

Guest Omnia_1

I found XCPUScalar is unstable and unreliable, constantly crashes and freezes every unit I tested it on, the worst part is receiving a call and not being able to answer it because XCPUScalar has crashed and locked up the device.

Edited by Omnia_1

Guest GSeeker2
XCPUScalar is unstable and unreliable, constantly crashes and freezes every unit I tested it on, the worst part is receiving a call and not being able to answer it because XCPUScalar has crashed and locked up the device.

Have you tried it on Omnia? :lol:

It runs very well so far. :D

Hi Guys,

Have anyone used XCPUscalar with say 200MHz? No Autoscale and etc?

I have tested and found that the performance of the omnia improved tremendously with XPUScalar activated even when underclocked.

Traditionally should XCpuscalar's speed be set lower than the actual device speed it would conserve Batt life.

Anyway the above 'results' are based on experience..... however I felt the speed improvement is quite drastic....eventhough I did not used any benchmarks.

Anyone can advice if this method will not further drain batt? with this improved performance?

regards

Great find man I will try this out

Guest Ingvarr
WOW! I set it to 500MHz, and now my Omnia is MUCH FASTER!

P.S. You don't have to run any benchmarks, just launch the Photo Slides, and you will notice the photos slide a lot more smooth!

Obviously it much responsive this way.

But battery life will go to drain. XScale is very power hungry when running on high speed.

When CPU is under high load, Omnia will set high speed automatically anyway, so benchmarks should not really show any difference.

Responsiveness is other thing, of course it feels less responsive if CPU continuously up and downclocks as you work with device.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest new2city

actually, I find it pretty weird.

without cpuscalar running, TCPMP reports that my omnia is running at around 201Mhz BUT

after I ran CPUSCalar, I see that TCPMP reports that my omnia is running at 624Mhz when I am at the default setting of 200Mhz in CPUScalar

who is correct?

Guest new2city
Obviously it much responsive this way.

But battery life will go to drain. XScale is very power hungry when running on high speed.

When CPU is under high load, Omnia will set high speed automatically anyway, so benchmarks should not really show any difference.

Responsiveness is other thing, of course it feels less responsive if CPU continuously up and downclocks as you work with device.

Since 624Mhz IS the Omnia's processors declared speed, in other words, are you saying that the Omnia can actually set it's clock speed based on load already? I can only see this speed shown by TCPMP when XCPUSCALAR is activated...

Guest Quist09

Haven't tried it, but sound's to me like XCPUScaler's default setting disables any automatic scaling the cpu has and sets it at the cpu's rated default speed, which in the case of the Omnia is 624 Mhz, i.e. XCPUScaler says it's setting it to 200 (like a TyTN default cpu rating), but it's actually setting it to the cpu's default value, in our case 624 MHz and disabling any automatic scaling. Hence the perceived performance improvement "even on underclocking". Of course, this is just a hypothesis.

Maybe it's just disabling auto mode on our cpu and the cpu by default doesn't take the software's arguments, but sets its clock at 624 Mhz (auto or 624). Either way, the unit may get hot and battery life may suffer.

Those running it, drop us a line in a day or two to say how things are going.

Edited by Quist09

Guest new2city

after considering what was mentioned before. i have tried all 5 levels of over and under clocking. using tcpmp to measure, i find that the actual clock speed only varies between 630 and 633 Mhz in my case . it does speed up but confirms that it is not compatible with our omnia

Guys,

I used to did a batt lif comparison previously using Hi3 ROM....

With continuous audio playback... on OMNIA with screen blank......

I'm able to achieve about 4hrs

Now with HJ1 + XCpuScalar....

I'm getting about 3-3.5 hrs of continuous playback...

Hence I do not see much batt drain for audio playback....

regards

Guest Akshay_LP

Wait, what? Underclocking the CPU to 500 Mhz, INCREASES performance? I thought omnia was 624 Mhz? If underclocking to 500Mhz increases performance, then how much will overclocking increasing? What is the ultimate settings for performance and what is best for a balance between performance and battery. And is it possible, to automatically underclock to very less when listening to music, to increase battery life and when watching movies, or using applications or windows mobile itself, over clock to the highest? Also on standby reduce the speed like hell.

Guest Ingvarr
Guys,

I used to did a batt lif comparison previously using Hi3 ROM....

With continuous audio playback... on OMNIA with screen blank......

I'm able to achieve about 4hrs

Now with HJ1 + XCpuScalar....

I'm getting about 3-3.5 hrs of continuous playback...

Hence I do not see much batt drain for audio playback....

regards

Umm, only 4 hrs of audio playback? This is total waste.

I have at least 15 hours of audio playback using standard media player, maybe even more with HI1 default.

Btw, don't trust TCPMP to be accurate with frequency report, it has no specific support for new XScale used in Omnia.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Nick5ter
Umm, only 4 hrs of audio playback? This is total waste.

I have at least 15 hours of audio playback using standard media player, maybe even more with HI1 default.

Btw, don't trust TCPMP to be accurate with frequency report, it has no specific support for new XScale used in Omnia.

15 hours of audio playback? are u sure?!?! is this in flight mode or with the phone and anything else active?

Guest Ingvarr
15 hours of audio playback? are u sure?!?! is this in flight mode or with the phone and anything else active?

Umm, quite sure, no flight mode. I would be very surprised to get only 4 hours, this is more than of video playback.

This is with wired headset though. With A2DP it will be less, and a lot less of course. Maybe its 4 hours with bluetooth headset?

Btw, here in this review - http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=...en&ie=UTF-8

They got 19:41 from mp3 playback, so you shouldn't be really surprised that much about it.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Nick5ter
Umm, quite sure, no flight mode. I would be very surprised to get only 4 hours, this is more than of video playback.

This is with wired headset though. With A2DP it will be less, and a lot less of course. Maybe its 4 hours with bluetooth headset?

Btw, here in this review - http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=...en&ie=UTF-8

They got 19:41 from mp3 playback, so you shouldn't be really surprised that much about it.

Makes more sense :lol:, im using bluetooth A2DP and listening to music with a full charge gets me about 4 to 5hr, got those cheapo batteries from ebay. seems to do the trick, though id rather have some more offical battires ;(

Guest 3shirts

I've installed XCPUScaler and it does seem faster. The slider makes no (noticable) difference so I think its true that all the app really does for the Omnia is disable the automatic CPU control and max it out all the time. Battery times remain to be seen but I would be suprised if I don't see a noticable drop

• 2 months later...